BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2016 x1 xDrive28i mSport - Parts stores say it doesn’t exist??? Anyone else? 🥹

09-19-2024, 08:16 AM   #1
LarzWalker
The New Guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW x1 xDrive28i mSport

Angry 2016 x1 xDrive28i mSport - Parts stores say it doesn’t exist??? Anyone else? 🥹

Hey Guys,

I’ve recently purchased a 2016 BMW x1 xDrive28i mSport 🚙 expecting it to be a FUN “project car” that the dealer disclosed a few things about. Got what seemed to be the right deal with about $3000 below current market pricing 💰so I’d end up with a decent vehicle that I could retrofit and customize when I felt like it. Unfortunately, he didn’t reveal HALF of what I’ve uncovered in the two weeks since buying it.

But that brings me to the biggest problem I’m having. I’m all in, so I need to find a good place to buy parts and do most of the work myself. I’m a retired software engineer turned useless executive. So my skills are rusty. But the biggest issue is nobody believes this model exists?!?! 🤷🏽 Lol It’s a weird transitional year where they took this mSport package and used it for the 2018 x2. It’s very close but everyone that does accept that I have a 2016 mSport, says it was only released in the sDrive20i. But, I’m sitting in the effing thing and looking at the detailed delivery info from the full-time OBD2 connection to BimmerCode and BimmerLink. And it’s detailed in the full Carfax report. This IS IN FACT a 2016 BMW x1 xDrive28i mSport (chassis:F48)

The only people who will believe me are the dealership guys and it’s their perfectos opportunity to act like they’re the only ones who can find the right parts for my vehicle. So, I know I don’t have the ONLY x1 F48 from 2016 with the mSport package out there. I don’t want to keep having to pull parts from mine just to verify part numbers before I can order anything. Then put it back together while I wait for a week or more? Please, any suggestions or advice (other than just sell it and take a loss)? 😉🙏🏾❤️

Regards,
Larz

PS: I’m attaching an example from eBay Motors where I have to either select the xDrive 28i or the sDrive 20i mSport as well as a few pictures of the things I’m having trouble finding. I can’t find the correct infotainment center digital upgrade to larger and more modern touchscreen navigation and media center. And I want to buy the daytime running light LED controller for that right headlight that’s got a yellow 😇 halo. I’ve also got a cargo area rear door tail light that burnt out its LED lights. But while all of the parts stores online as soon as I identify it as the x28i or the s20i mSport the app tells me the part doesn’t fit my vehicle!!! I mean it’s bad enough I’ve gotta buy several thousand bucks worth of boring parts just to get it back to “basic”! 🤬 But it’s driving me frigging nuts that I might end up with thousands of dollars worth of parts that I have to return, to China. If you’ve never had to wait for a refund from a Chinese supplier or manufacturer, it’s as bad as buying OEM parts at the dealership.

“…see things again, for the first time. As through the eyes of a child.” - anonymous

Last edited by LarzWalker; 09-19-2024 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 09:16 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

To find the correct part numbers for your vehicle...simply use one of the online part database sites like www.realoem.com

If you click the link above, and input the last 7 digits of your VIN...you will get the same parts database that your BMW dealership uses. The site also give other details like what other BMW models use the same part...and you can click on the part nbr to find if there are other (older/newer) parts that are retroactively exchangeable or is a succeeded part nbr.

Once you have the 11 digit BMW part nbr, you can simply GOOGLE the number to find other vendors that are selling that part (ie BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x=the actual part nbr}).

Not sure where you are shopping for BMW parts...but the average auto part stores like AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc...generally aren't where you're going to find parts unless its something used widely across multiple platforms. Doing a google search for BMW parts...you'll see that there are some vendor names that keep popping up (some have been around for a long time and you'll see their names mentioned in may BMW forum threads...and some of them may be BMW dealership's that use an online name that may not be the same as the dealership. And you may also find the same on Amazon & eBay...some of those vendors are dealership's and some are private vendors.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-19-2024 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2024, 09:24 AM   #3
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...48-BMW-X1_28iX

Don't know if the builddate is correct but you can change that. As you see, its a 2016 produced 28iX
If it concerns trims or other outer modifications you can just use 20i msport as alternative. It doesn't matter what engine is in the car for the outer trims.

My 18xD msports has the same panels as your 28xi, expect for the dual exhaust on the bumper trim. So if you cannot choose 28xi, just change it to 20i as most parts aren't engine related and it will be fine.

If it is engine related then you need to be more careful but then you can choose 28xi non-msport or xline.
To read the realoem website you have to get familiar with the optioncodes you have on your car, you can find them through bimmercode app or use a VIN decoder like mdecoder.com / bimmer.work
      09-19-2024, 07:18 PM   #4
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

I have a 2016 X1 xDrive28i w/M sport. The model definitely exists.

My suggestion is to stop using the year and model lookups on eBay and elsewhere and as others have suggested, use realoem.com

I use realoem all the time and I have no problems finding accurate part numbers for my car. Be sure to enter the last 7 digits of your VIN too so you get parts not just for your model but specific to your build date.
Appreciate 0