BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Retrofit front PDC to 2017 F48

07-25-2023, 07:31 AM   #45
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Nice. Thanks for the photos. Now you have the bumper off, can you provide me with the distances I talked about in the other posts?

How went the drilling of the holes? what is the black spots on the tape? Did you paint it after drilling? Also did you drill from inside out or outside in?

I just received my back to front wireloom, still waiting on the 2 separate wires then I can start to prepare the wiring loom before I will try to dissasemble the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 12:59 PM   #46
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Nice. Thanks for the photos. Now you have the bumper off, can you provide me with the distances I talked about in the other posts?

How went the drilling of the holes? what is the black spots on the tape? Did you paint it after drilling? Also did you drill from inside out or outside in?

I just received my back to front wireloom, still waiting on the 2 separate wires then I can start to prepare the wiring loom before I will try to dissasemble the front bumper.
Of course, the distance between the front side sensor and the PMA is 35cm on my bumper.
I used this tool to drill the hole in the bumper.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/10050...yAdapt=glo2bra

in my case 18mm. Some bumper models originally have 18mm and 30mm holes due to the sensor support being exposed.

After drilling I noticed that the inner edges look grey/white that is the plastic bumper collor. So I protected the paint with tape and applied a little automotive paint in the color of the vehicle to get the original finish.
Just detail.
Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      07-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #47
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcruzeiro View Post
Of course, the distance between the front side sensor and the PMA is 35cm on my bumper.
I used this tool to drill the hole in the bumper.

in my case 18mm. Some bumper models originally have 18mm and 30mm holes due to the sensor support being exposed.

After drilling I noticed that the inner edges look grey/white that is the plastic bumper collor. So I protected the paint with tape and applied a little automotive paint in the color of the vehicle to get the original finish.
Just detail.

Thanks! Highly appreciated.

I was thinking using a step drill bit but this might be cleaner.

I hadn’t thought of it but I have Msport so I have 30mm inner brackets.
Can these be ordered with factory color or do they just come primed and I have to find a paint shop to paint in the right color for me?

Wermuth Do you happen to know that as you had an Msport aswell, out from the part list you listed on page 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #48
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! Highly appreciated.

I was thinking using a step drill bit but this might be cleaner.

I hadn’t thought of it but I have Msport so I have 30mm inner brackets.
Can these be ordered with factory color or do they just come primed and I have to find a paint shop to paint in the right color for me?

Wermuth Do you happen to know that as you had an Msport aswell, out from the part list you listed on page 1.
I believe that in your case it will be necessary to paint it.
But it's simple, just look for your car's color code for some spray paint and varnish.
Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      07-31-2023, 01:31 PM   #49
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
More work than I imagined.

2nd day of work
I started removing the mud guard from the passenger side wheel to access the hole used to enter the sensor cable into the car behind the glove compartment near the BDC module.

- The cables ran along the side under the acoustic foam along with the electrical wiring.
- Attention to the way near the rear seat where the cable must pass to go up towards the trunk.

I disassembled the rear cover to access the PDC module connector.
Unexpected surprise, the terminals of the original BMW cable did not fit the PDC module connector to make the correct pinout.
SOLUTION: I bought new TYCO conector 18 ways with terminals so I can be sure the terminals will be ideal for the PDC/PMA module connector.
It will be necessary crimp the wires again with new terminals as soon as they are delivered.
The project will be on hold approximately 2 weeks until the missing item arrives.

The button to activate the PMA was installed in the central console. Good surprise is the original wire is ready to receive the new swtch!
Attached Images

Last edited by wcruzeiro; 07-31-2023 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      07-31-2023, 01:34 PM   #50
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      07-31-2023, 04:26 PM   #51
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Nice with all the pictures! I think all cars come prewired as it is often chosen I think. Mine aswell, atleast the connector on the BDC has the pins slotted.

Yeah the wire at the rear seats can be a pain if you choose not to remove the seats. Remember that when I ran a wire for towing hitch.

Btw, seems you also have a lowered Engine mount
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:19 PM   #52
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice with all the pictures! I think all cars come prewired as it is often chosen I think. Mine aswell, atleast the connector on the BDC has the pins slotted.

Yeah the wire at the rear seats can be a pain if you choose not to remove the seats. Remember that when I ran a wire for towing hitch.

Btw, seems you also have a lowered Engine mount
Here we have only 2 engine option on X1 F48. 20i Sdrive 192hp/28nm and 25i XDrive 231hp /35nm, aways in gasoline.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:45 PM   #53
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here we have only 2 engine option on X1 F48. 20i Sdrive 192hp/28nm and 25i XDrive 231hp /35nm, aways in gasoline.
I was more refering to the fact that your right Top (passenger-side on LHD) engine mount could be on its end.

See the other topic about this. It’s a common issue.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 10:44 PM   #54
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
I was more refering to the fact that your right Top (passenger-side on LHD) engine mount could be on its end.

See the other topic about this. It’s a common issue.
Thank you! I will pay attention. In the next review I will ask them to check the engine mounts as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:24 PM   #55
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
I haven't been on here for a while.

I'm struggling to fix the issues related to the 5DP retrofit.
Apparently I have a problem with the front PDC cables.
So I'm isolating the possible causes. Remaking the terminals of the PMA sensors that I customized.

The coding was done but fails to activate. ISTA it shows ultrasonic sensor front: short circuit.

The ideal was to get the original cabling part number for F48 set for 6 front sensors (4 PDC and 6 PMA) and the correct harness. To avoid customized wires.
But I didn't found the correct bmw part number.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:41 AM   #56
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't been on here for a while.

I'm struggling to fix the issues related to the 5DP retrofit.
Apparently I have a problem with the front PDC cables.
So I'm isolating the possible causes. Remaking the terminals of the PMA sensors that I customized.

The coding was done but fails to activate. ISTA it shows ultrasonic sensor front: short circuit.

The ideal was to get the original cabling part number for F48 set for 6 front sensors (4 PDC and 6 PMA) and the correct harness. To avoid customized wires.
But I didn't found the correct bmw part number.
You could try to code 508 first and then remove the outer sensors, this way you can eliminate it’s the outer sensors. Also try checking all PDC sensor on resistance using the outer pins. Dont remember What it needs to be but should be bigger than wire resistance so if it s near zero Ohm it is faulty

I have the correct front cabling from f48 which had 508 + 5DP. The front wire only has wiring 4 for PDC sensors. The 2 extra PMA sensors are merged in the car under glovebox using their own route, unsure how factory routing is though.
That part with support for 6x PDC data wires doesn’t exist, wire is spliced/merged on junction X403*1V and X404*1V which is the big wire near the BDC.

Update from my side, I just made the wireloom to the back include 2 extra wires and a extra connector. After that wire loom is made I can start connection the front wire loom and do a test before taking off the bumper and drill holes…

Last edited by mrpingu; 08-15-2023 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 12:54 PM   #57
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Done

- Lessons learned:
- Performing this retrofit without prior knowledge requires a lot of time and patience to disassemble the internal parts without damaging them. Enjoy the journey to clean and lubricate whatever gets in the way.
- Prepare yourself with plenty of spare basic components such as wires, connectors, terminals, automotive tape. Here in Brazil the access to good quality and genuine components is very difficult. Most need to be imported and the delivery time is quite long which delays the whole project.
- I found the cable split of power and ground wires from the original cabling with poor quality so when I was fixing the wires of the lateral sensors (PMA) I took the opportunity to replace them. I tested and chose wago type (I don't know the correct name), which provides better quality and reliability to the project.
- Do not use Chinese sensors. I made that mistake, even respecting the original part number they do not deliver stability to the system and had to be replaced throughout the project by genuine parts.
- If the system is not absolutely stable, the PMA (steering wheel icon on the screen) will not be available and when starting the vehicle you will hear a long beep that signals that there is a problem with the parking system.
- Just like the rest of the vehicle, I also applied the iLevel update to the PDC/PMA module. My perception is that parking spaces are now found more quickly and it recognizes even tighter spaces. The whole system is more accurate.

But it's totally possible! Thanks so much for everyone's help here on the forum. mrpingu! thank you my friend.
I believe that here I end my saga in this retrofit.

https://youtube.com/shorts/s1Dhg2BTpNo?feature=share

https://youtu.be/4hMMFpo37Cc
Attached Images

Last edited by wcruzeiro; 08-27-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      08-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #58
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
- Lessons learned:
- Performing this retrofit without prior knowledge requires a lot of time and patience to disassemble the internal parts without damaging them. Enjoy the journey to clean and lubricate whatever gets in the way.
- Prepare yourself with plenty of spare basic components such as wires, connectors, terminals, automotive tape. Here in Brazil the access to good quality and genuine components is very difficult. Most need to be imported and the delivery time is quite long which delays the whole project.
- I found the cable split of power and ground wires from the original cabling with poor quality so when I was fixing the wires of the lateral sensors (PMA) I took the opportunity to replace them. I tested and chose wago type (I don't know the correct name), which provides better quality and reliability to the project.
- Do not use Chinese sensors. I made that mistake, even respecting the original part number they do not deliver stability to the system and had to be replaced throughout the project by genuine parts.
- If the system is not absolutely stable, the PMA (steering wheel icon on the screen) will not be available and when starting the vehicle you will hear a long beep that signals that there is a problem with the parking system.
- Just like the rest of the vehicle, I also applied the iLevel update to the PDC/PMA module. My perception is that parking spaces are now found more quickly and it recognizes even tighter spaces. The whole system is more accurate.

But it's totally possible! Thanks so much for everyone's help here on the forum. mrpingu! thank you my friend.
I believe that here I end my saga in this retrofit.

Well done! Looks good in action

1. yes, it takes some time to dissassemble trims and such, especially if you don’t know the fixing points.
2. Yeah, noted, same here in Norway, although closer to Germany it’s a bit of corner of Europe. I have extra wires & terminals from the towing hitch retrofit
3. Unsure if Wago type of connectors is the way to go because of all the movement / vibration in the car. Personally I stick with soldering / shrink tubes.
4. Yes, I prefer OEM parts from scrapyard vehicles over any Chinese parts, cabling however I order from China. Glad you sorted it out.

Point 1 and 2 are exactly the reason I didn’t start yet and now I got into my mind that I am going to retrofit Comfort Access I will postpone starting a little bit more until I receive all parts as for CA you have to run several cables front to back.
Actually today I made a plan of how many cables need to run to the back, the whole PDC wiring + tailgate smart opening + luggage compartment and rear bumper antenna.

Step 1 will be run cable front to back for both PDC & CA and install CA in rear bumper and luggage compartment
Step 2 will be front PDC sensors + sideskirt right antenna
Step 3 new door handles + harman Kardon tweeters front door and final sideskirt antenna.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2023, 02:29 PM   #59
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Well done! Looks good in action

1. yes, it takes some time to dissassemble trims and such, especially if you don’t know the fixing points.
2. Yeah, noted, same here in Norway, although closer to Germany it’s a bit of corner of Europe. I have extra wires & terminals from the towing hitch retrofit
3. Unsure if Wago type of connectors is the way to go because of all the movement / vibration in the car. Personally I stick with soldering / shrink tubes.
4. Yes, I prefer OEM parts from scrapyard vehicles over any Chinese parts, cabling however I order from China. Glad you sorted it out.

Point 1 and 2 are exactly the reason I didn’t start yet and now I got into my mind that I am going to retrofit Comfort Access I will postpone starting a little bit more until I receive all parts as for CA you have to run several cables front to back.
Actually today I made a plan of how many cables need to run to the back, the whole PDC wiring + tailgate smart opening + luggage compartment and rear bumper antenna.

Step 1 will be run cable front to back for both PDC & CA and install CA in rear bumper and luggage compartment
Step 2 will be front PDC sensors + sideskirt right antenna
Step 3 new door handles + harman Kardon tweeters front door and final sideskirt antenna.
Please! share your journey with us here on the forum. I'm also very interested in comfort access.

On my list of retrofits are:
- I recently received the DAB antenna from the radio to receive a digital signal, but I haven't installed it yet. I need to found the correct place to pass the antenna from the headunit to the roof unit.
- Headup display (waiting the wire) I need courage to cut the trim panel dashboard. =D
- Kafas cam (waiting to receive the kit and then go the dealership replace the windshield. This will certainly be the most expensive retrofit on the list)
- With the installation of Kafas I will be able to install the headlights adaptive LED (they are on the way)
- Maybe then I'll replace the front and rear bumper to the msport model because all the other parts will already be from the LCI model.
- Comfort access.
Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      10-22-2023, 02:58 AM   #60
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
I fitted the wire that goes to the back but found out it had/wrong pins/terminals at the wire I received.
So will have to refit new terminals at the PDC connector. Unsure which terminals I need.

As both the PDC wire and the Comfort acces sideskirt/rocker antenna needed to go through the firewall I decided to do that together.

Will post some pictures later.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #61
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
More work than I imagined.

I disassembled the rear cover to access the PDC module connector.
Unexpected surprise, the terminals of the original BMW cable did not fit the PDC module connector to make the correct pinout.
SOLUTION: I bought new TYCO conector 18 ways with terminals so I can be sure the terminals will be ideal for the PDC/PMA module connector.
It will be necessary crimp the wires again with new terminals as soon as they are delivered.
The project will be on hold approximately 2 weeks until the missing item arrives.

The button to activate the PMA was installed in the central console. Good surprise is the original wire is ready to receive the new swtch!

Where did you buy the new terminal, I ran into the same…

Is replacing the switch much work? can you just pry the switch out or do you have to start at the back of the center console?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #62
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Where did you buy the new terminal, I ran into the same…

Is replacing the switch much work? can you just pry the switch out or do you have to start at the back of the center console?

In regards to terminals and connectors, China stuff works pretty well.

To replace the switch in the center console you dont need to start at the back.
follow this video

Appreciate 1
mrpingu190.50
      11-11-2023, 02:04 PM   #63
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Saturday, carday

Took off the bumper today, was quite a big job. Especially those screws in the mount of the sidepanel.

Tomorrow I wil be adding wiring for ledbar and installing the PDC sensor after I tested all cables before assembling everything.
Attached Images

11-13-2023, 02:51 AM   #64
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Finishers this retrofit and also installed a led bar in the lower grill while the bumper was off
Attached Images

11-17-2023, 11:22 AM   #65
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Was trying to use park Assistant but wouldn’t work then I read out error memory and had the following errors.

2 errors
D4149D: Signal error (status of electric steering front axle, ID: ST_EST) - qualifier
D414A6: Message error (operation of the parking button, ID: OP_PUBU_PKG) - timeout

Anyone know how to fix?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 10:51 AM   #66
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
I was fixed after I installed electric seats,

had to flash that module, the car went in transport mode and giving me a shitload of errors on almost every module about Flexray and canbus communication that is invalid. I just took the opportunity to VO-code the SAS, PMA, DSC2 and EPS modules again.
I also installed the button and after all that these errors were gone so probably I missed some value in one these modules. I don’t VO-code BDC and HeadUnit due to losing other codings.

I think the second error was due to the button, but the first one appeared everytime the car needed to steer by itself so somehow DSC, EPS or SAS weren’t cooperating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1