BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Stock Tail Lights to LCI

01-12-2024, 11:32 AM   #111
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

There parameters i posted arent exact same match. They are not the full parameters, they are part of the difference i found necessary to change. NCD1 is for LED NCD2 is for halogens. Car is 2019 F48 LCI
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:05 PM   #112
inlinesix85
Rep
Drives: X1 F48, 5 Series G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
No need to give up now, I believe you need to take the time to read out the values in Expert, and post them here. It’s not that hard just time consuming.

BimmerCode -> Body Domain Controller -> Export Mode -> LampMapping3 & LampMapping4
Hello,

I'm the guy that posted previously in the same topic with exactly the same issue. Thanks for bringing the topic back to life and trying to help.

I just went into an expert mode - suprised that there are so many values. Before I start digging for values in LceLampMapping3 &4 , is there a better way to export them all before posting here vs. making screenshots on the mobile phone - perhaps by exporting backup file?

Also, do you think that writing directly to bimmercode regarding this issue would make any sense?
Attached Images

Last edited by inlinesix85; 01-12-2024 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:16 PM   #113
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichielX1 View Post
I tried again but no luck. Outside lights do not work, outdoors or indoors. I'm fed up with it. The coding becomes too complicated for me. With the risk of changing significant data. Also because other members here didn't crack it too. So I put the original lights back. And sell the Leds. Thanks for your support.
Dear MichielX1, Please don't lose the hope just yet. I understand your frustration, I was there a few months ago (and still am). What was supposedly a realtively small investment in terms of money and time to make a car look much better turned to be quite a headbanger in the end. But maybe we can still pull this out with generosity of senior members.

I'm also afraid of messing something in expert mode and potentialy bricking parts of the car (that would really ramp up the bill and I have no support), but at this point it is just about knowing precisely which values are to be inserted/replaced...

Your experience at least confirmed for me that issue lies not with wiring (proper placing of 4th wire) and turing on certain bimmercode options in simple mode...it is a small step forward at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:30 PM   #114
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:
I tried again but no luck. Outside lights do not work, outdoors or indoors. I'm fed up with it. The coding becomes too complicated for me. With the risk of changing significant data. Also because other members here didn't crack it too. So I put the original lights back. And sell the Leds. Thanks for your support.
I believe that if you turn "Daytime running light - tail light outer part" option to "Active" in Bimmercode, your outer LED strips would work during daytime, when DRLs are on. This is the case with mine, at least. They, however, do not work in any other combination
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:16 PM   #115
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinesix85 View Post
Hello,

I'm the guy that posted previously in the same topic with exactly the same issue. Thanks for bringing the topic back to life and trying to help.

I just went into an expert mode - suprised that there are so many values. Before I start digging for values in LceLampMapping3 &4 , is there a better way to export them all before posting here vs. making screenshots on the mobile phone - perhaps by exporting backup file?

Also, do you think that writing directly to bimmercode regarding this issue would make any sense?
There is no real easy solution with BimmerCode unfortunately but a piece of paper or the sheet I posted earlier should give you a way to structurize the data.

The thing is the lampmapping data seems like a lot of code but is actually very logical build up. So for a start you can only take the
STANDL_H_ entries which corresponds to dipped beam rear lights. Then take only _R in the name and we have only the right side.

First I need to have a bit of overview what is set. I suspect something is wrong with the PWM values but unless I see the big picture it’s hard to help / the right values. The thing is on my car I have already working as it should, that means if your values are different then it must be in these differences.0

Last edited by mrpingu; 01-12-2024 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 02:02 PM   #116
BFetter
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

This is what I did through Bimmer Code. 2018 X1 US. Halogen bulb tail lights to LCI. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50
      01-13-2024, 03:53 AM   #117
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:
There is no real easy solution with BimmerCode unfortunately but a piece of paper or the sheet I posted earlier should give you a way to structurize the data.

The thing is the lampmapping data seems like a lot of code but is actually very logical build up. So for a start you can only take the
STANDL_H_ entries which corresponds to dipped beam rear lights. Then take only _R in the name and we have only the right side.

First I need to have a bit of overview what is set. I suspect something is wrong with the PWM values but unless I see the big picture it’s hard to help / the right values. The thing is on my car I have already working as it should, that means if your values are different then it must be in these differences.0
Hello,
There are 216 values pertaining to STANDL, PARKL or TAGFARL for rear lights in expertmode. I managed to transcribe them all to Excel. Since I ccanot attach .xls document here, I printed it as .pdf. Hope you'll be able to navigate trough and compare these to your values.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mapping 3.pdf (174.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Mapping 4.pdf (175.3 KB, 18 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 06:50 AM   #118
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hello,
There are 216 values pertaining to STANDL, PARKL or TAGFARL for rear lights in expertmode. I managed to transcribe them all to Excel. Since I ccanot attach .xls document here, I printed it as .pdf. Hope you'll be able to navigate trough and compare these to your values.
Yeah this is what I suspected. The whole mapping is still for the halogen setup.
Output, function, priority & PWM parameters are all off compared to LED version of the lamp.

Please take the values from the sheet I posted earlier. That should work. I filled & checked them all for those 3 (STANDL, PARKL & TAGFAHRL) only “hinten” (H) not the fronts “voran” (v). There are several tabs in this sheet but you need the BDC_Body Lampmapping Tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...456x__ZQ0/edit

What I noticed from your values is that the halogen version of the rearlight share the same bulb for rear fog lamp and normal light. Only run at a different (lower) Voltage level so the normal light is not as bright as the fog light.

In the LED version theres a separate bulb for rear fog light and thus and should the mapping / routing of the lights be different.

I am pretty sure these values should fix the problem. But I have become unsure if the Rear fog light still works as expected, so you might want to test that aswell.

PS: I started this sheet to better understand all the lighting options in the coding and in different modules. After I gained understanding I managed to turn on corner & fog lights together with high beam. So when I use high beam I see both wide & long

Last edited by mrpingu; 01-13-2024 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 01:50 PM   #119
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:
Yeah this is what I suspected. The whole mapping is still for the halogen setup.
Output, function, priority & PWM parameters are all off compared to LED version of the lamp.

Please take the values from the sheet I posted earlier. That should work. I filled & checked them all for those 3 (STANDL, PARKL & TAGFAHRL) only “hinten” (H) not the fronts “voran” (v). There are several tabs in this sheet but you need the BDC_Body Lampmapping Tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...456x__ZQ0/edit

What I noticed from your values is that the halogen version of the rearlight share the same bulb for rear fog lamp and normal light. Only run at a different (lower) Voltage level so the normal light is not as bright as the fog light.

In the LED version theres a separate bulb for rear fog light and thus and should the mapping / routing of the lights be different.

I am pretty sure these values should fix the problem. But I have become unsure if the Rear fog light still works as expected, so you might want to test that aswell.

PS: I started this sheet to better understand all the lighting options in the coding and in different modules. After I gained understanding I managed to turn on corner & fog lights together with high beam. So when I use high beam I see both wide & long

Hello MrPingu,

I have cross referenced all the values in my table with your table and attached is the final result.

Can you please check once more and confirm that this is it? I spend a lot of time today staring at this table and it is perfectly possible that I made some mistake(s) along the way.

Before I start coding, in your opinion, can I damage anything in Body control module in case of something goes wrong despite checks (missing / wrong value)?

Someone earlier mentioned that light dial should be in two 0'clock position - is this of any importance in this case?

I have pre-LCI led lights (LED stripes and bulbs combo).

I understand the comment regarding fog lights, but this i, frankly least of my concerns at the moment.
Just want to make darn stripes work properly :-)

Thank you for great support.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LampMapping3_cross referenced.pdf (183.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf LampMapping4_cross referenced.pdf (184.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by inlinesix85; 01-13-2024 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50
      01-13-2024, 01:54 PM   #120
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:
Hello Michiel X1,

It seems that we (mostly MrPingu to be truthfull) made some progress while you were away and you may jump back in and help us to test solution....
Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50
      01-13-2024, 02:35 PM   #121
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hello MrPingu,

I have cross referenced all the values in my table with your table and attached is the final result.

Can you please check once more and confirm that this is it? I spend a lot of time today staring at this table and it is perfectly possible that I made some mistake(s) along the way.
I checked too and it looks good. It´s B0 (Bee-Zero) not 80

Quote:

Before I start coding, in your opinion, can I damage anything in Body control module in case of something goes wrong despite checks (missing / wrong value)?
I have coded many times, but usual coding disclaimers apply. Have to car running so you don’t run out of battery.
Also let make BimmerCode make a backup and write timestamp down so if anything goes wrong you can revert and are sure which date & time the backup is from.

You cannot damage the BDC itself. We are only changing things regarding LampMappings, so the risk is really low. Worst case, none of the lamps work due to incorrect mapping. And really worst case is that we blow a fuse because of wrong voltages but it’s highly unlikely as halogen draws more than LED. And not to forget, the coding is already wrong

So to be honest I really think this is a low risk operation. General coding risk still apply, like power outage due to low battery but otherwise I don’t see any big risks.

If in any case BimmerCode cannot revert the backup, we can always change the values back by hand as you have noted them your excel sheet. So we have some lines of defense.

Quote:

Someone earlier mentioned that light dial should be in two 0'clock position - is this of any importance in this case?
No not really, although parking light values are for 1 O’clock position. When I mentioned I wanted to be sure that were not using some Auto position of the light switch. Because MichielX1 was mentioning something about being light & dark, so I just wanted to be sure the test conditions are equal and not based on the car deciding if it’s needed with lights or not

Quote:
I have pre-LCI led lights (LED stripes and bulbs combo).
Good you mention it one more time, that’s what the values are for and also I have. The lucky part is that I have a PreLCI with Led Headlights and thus striped rears. So I am pretty sure about the values.

IMO the pre LCI looks better than the LCI. PreLCI has 2 stripes, LCI only 1.

Quote:
I understand the comment regarding fog lights, but this i, frankly least of my concerns at the moment.
Just want to make darn stripes work properly :-)
Thank you for great support.
Yeah, that’s what I thought, we can look at that afterwards Will be probably be easy fix afterwards.
EDIT: I see now that also applies for brake light, double check the brake lights

Last edited by mrpingu; 01-13-2024 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 04:48 PM   #122
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:
I checked too and it looks good. It´s B0 (Bee-Zero) not 80

I have coded many times, but usual coding disclaimers apply. Have to car running so you don’t run out of battery.
Also let make BimmerCode make a backup and write timestamp down so if anything goes wrong you can revert and are sure which date & time the backup is from.

You cannot damage the BDC itself. We are only changing things regarding LampMappings, so the risk is really low. Worst case, none of the lamps work due to incorrect mapping. And really worst case is that we blow a fuse because of wrong voltages but it’s highly unlikely as halogen draws more than LED. And not to forget, the coding is already wrong

So to be honest I really think this is a low risk operation. General coding risk still apply, like power outage due to low battery but otherwise I don’t see any big risks.

If in any case BimmerCode cannot revert the backup, we can always change the values back by hand as you have noted them your excel sheet. So we have some lines of defense.

No not really, although parking light values are for 1 O’clock position. When I mentioned I wanted to be sure that were not using some Auto position of the light switch. Because MichielX1 was mentioning something about being light & dark, so I just wanted to be sure the test conditions are equal and not based on the car deciding if it’s needed with lights or not

Good you mention it one more time, that’s what the values are for and also I have. The lucky part is that I have a PreLCI with Led Headlights and thus striped rears. So I am pretty sure about the values.

Yeah, that’s what I thought, we can look at that afterwards Will be probably be easy fix afterwards.
EDIT: I see now that also applies for brake light, double check the brake lights
Tonight I finally managed to proceed with coding the lights.
As per above posted tables, I carefully replaced 44 values in total.
And it worked. Like a charm.
Fog lights working.
Brake lights working.
LED stripes have increased in brightness slightly.
No errors whatsoever, car is not complaining (and BDC module is still in one piece, I guess, no smoke coming from passenger footwell)
MrPingu, you have my deepest gratitude
Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50
      01-17-2024, 04:57 PM   #123
inlinesix85
Rep

I completely agree. Having observed many pre-LCI and post LCI vehichles during last year, I find pre-LCI more to my liking.
Beauty is always in the eye of beholder, but I think they fit the car better.
Car has definitely more presence compared to halogen-only versions.
I also replaced all the halogen bulbs with their LED counterparts, small but worthy investment.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 06:11 AM   #124
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fog lights working.
Brake lights working.
No errors whatsoever, car is not complaining (and BDC module is still in one piece, I guess, no smoke coming from passenger footwell)
Great to hear everything is working now! You are welcome
      01-19-2024, 01:04 AM   #125
MichielX1
Rep
Drives: X1 25i Xdrive

Quote:
Fog lights working.
Brake lights working.
Well done, inlinesix85! Thanks to the coding of MrPingu.
To be clear on this, you changed the 44 values in the expert mode section "Landmapping 3 and 4" of Bimmercode. Correct? This seems doable to me.

The only difference is that my outer rear Leds did not work after connecting the extra wires to the BCD and putting daylight on in Bimmercode. I drove the car outside the garage and checked all positions of the light switch in the dashboard. I'm sure the led units are ok since I tested both with a battery.

Can it be that this will be solved with the coding stated above? Of is there something else going wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 03:53 AM   #126
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To be clear on this, you changed the 44 values in the expert mode section "Landmapping 3 and 4" of Bimmercode. Correct? This seems doable to me.

The only difference is that my outer rear Leds did not work after connecting the extra wires to the BCD and putting daylight on in Bimmercode. I drove the car outside the garage and checked all positions of the light switch in the dashboard. I'm sure the led units are ok since I tested both with a battery.

Can it be that this will be solved with the coding stated above? Of is there something else going wrong?
It could be solved by coding, unless the wiring is wrong to begin with but I would say the latter is more unlikely.

I would suggest to do like inlinesix, note down the current values systemmatically so you have a backup and then change those to the ones he changed.

See the attached pdf of post #119
      01-19-2024, 05:54 AM   #127
MichielX1
Rep

Quote:
It could be solved by coding, unless the wiring is wrong to begin with but I would say the latter is more unlikely.

I would suggest to do like inlinesix, note down the current values systemmatically so you have a backup and then change those to the ones he changed.

See the attached pdf of post #119
Thanks again. I'll give it a try next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 07:44 AM   #128
inlinesix85
Rep

Quote:

Hello MichielX1,

Yes, I changed those 44 values in Expert mode of Bimmercode.
It took me just 10 minutes, since new values are already available for selection from a menu, there is no need to write everything manually.

Earlier in this topic you can see screenshots from "simple mode" of Bimmercode that I checked when installing the lights a few months ago. It is possible that you have not selected all of them and therefore your outer LED stripes do not work when DRL's are active (presuming that your wiring is OK), but this is not really important right now.

As MrPingu said, leave some time for proper preparation.
Take a laptop in the car, go into Expert mode and write your existing values in a spreadsheet, so you have reference values if something goes wrong. You can use .pdf's that I provided above to create your spreadsheet.

Make sure your car battery and phone battery are full, so not to interrupt coding process. Be careful to enter proper values, no need to hurry. Remember a timestamp for Bimmercode created backup. And that should be it. You can report back here when you're done, I'd be eager to know if it worked for you too.

Fingers crossed, you'll definitely enjoy them when you finally manage to make everything work as it should.

Looking back with knowledge that I have now, complete process should take not more than couple of hours. But it took me 6 months. And without help from this forum, I would be unable to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 03:38 PM   #129
MichielX1
Rep

Quote:
Hello MichielX1,

Yes, I changed those 44 values in Expert mode of Bimmercode.
It took me just 10 minutes, since new values are already available for selection from a menu, there is no need to write everything manually.

Earlier in this topic you can see screenshots from "simple mode" of Bimmercode that I checked when installing the lights a few months ago. It is possible that you have not selected all of them and therefore your outer LED stripes do not work when DRL's are active (presuming that your wiring is OK), but this is not really important right now.
Thanks for this explanation! I can use a shed next weekend. So I can take my time and do the coding. And will let you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:18 AM   #130
MichielX1
Rep

Bingo! The Leds work now. Thanks to your instructions and support! Especially mrpingu, inlinesix85 and thenine90. The coding was quite straightforward, thanks to the schedule. Still strange that the outer leds did not work after coding the daylights on, like in the other converted cars did.
It's been a great help. Looks much better. And all other lights at the back work as well. Happy camper over here. I love Bimmerpost!
Attached Images

Last edited by MichielX1; 01-28-2024 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 04:13 AM   #131
MichielX1
Rep

Little afterburner: the back Led lights work now constantly so also during daytime with the lightswitch on 12 o'clock. This is probably the consequence of the conversion. Or is it possible to only have the front lights working during daytime (like it used to be)?

If not, no problem. But can be better for the lifespan of the back lights. These can stop working I read after some years.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 06:54 AM   #132
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Little afterburner: the back Led lights work now constantly so also during daytime with the lightswitch on 12 o'clock. This is probably the consequence of the conversion. Or is it possible to only have the front lights working during daytime (like it used to be)?

If not, no problem. But can be better for the lifespan of the back lights. These can stop working I read after some years.

Good to hear you solved everything

That’s another coding. Check your settings in Bimmercode easy mode under ‘Daytime Running Light’. It might be that these settings are on active now.

Well, funny that you mention it. Mine has started flickering and took the taillight quickly out today and had a look. After a quick look and some test I came to the conclusion it is not the LED strips that fail but the PCB inside them. The only thing is that to get completely to the PCB you have to separate the lens / cover from the assembly. I didn’t want to do that today so I will try to buy second hand inner taillight and when I have to time I will fix up the PCB as probably it’s the same problem as on the X3’s: https://www.ledsupply.com/blog/commo...ail-light-fix/