BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Help need for s322a comfort access retrofit

08-18-2023, 09:46 AM   #23
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
I am looking into this retrofit and looks like it is not too expensive from paper... Only expensive in time as wires run all over the car.

From what I found out you don't need all handles to be Comfort Access, so you can start with driver only.
Keys probably don't need programming as our cars already have convenience Access aka, start the car with the key in your pocket.

I also ran a TAL calculation against with edited VO for 322 and no missing hardware showed up in 322. for my car. Everything was black so I assume I don't need new BDC if that is ever the case.

Only thing I don't know why / what is the function of the tailgate lock button? I cannot find this button on wire diagrams either.
I currently have Number 2 installed, do I really need to change this one to number 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
O.k I have asked you a number of questions and given information in posts 4 & 6 of this thread. You have given me your VIN via PM and I have been able to check your car factory build (VO).
So IMO in order to get s322a working in your car you will need to do the following;
1. Complete installation of all parts required for s322a, this includes all new door handles, door wiring, new tailgate closing switch - part 61319275121. Your car is showing it does not have option s316a (automatic boot/trunk closing) and I am assuming that you have already retro- fitted this because you say you bought the trunk smart opening module as well as 3 antennas and wiring. So internal boot/trunk release switch in driver door also needed. New comfort access key fobs also needed.
2. I repeat that in order to use BMW comfort access ALL /100% of parts have to be installed not just boot/trunk smart opening and antenna.
3. When all s322a required parts have been fitted you need to use E-sys to VO code your car with options s322a. This coding will/should activate the BDC communication with the comfort access parts including trunk smart opening module and antennas.
4. I cannot see that you would need a new BDC although the part number you have quoted in first post “6825528” appears incorrect, I believe you meant 61356825520.

In summary, comfort access retrofit requires a lot of parts, you cannot do half or only certain parts of the install because in order for function to work your BDC needs to be coded (it is not plug and play). In order to code BDC all correct parts are needed. As an example the smart opening module will not be able to communicate with BDC unless the BDC is coded. Your BDC will not communicate with antennas unless it is coded to do. Whoever does coding for you (using E-sys) may also need to code (CAFD) the new module to ensure it is running same istep (software version) as the rest of your car.

1. I believe you don't need everything but you definitely need all antennas

2. Why? I think we can skip some corners, F45 2016 model for example only had front doorhandles installed. I don't think there is a check for door handles, there however is a check for antennas which will result in fault code if not installed.

I think also these two FDL values in BDC_Body can be used to controlled if Doorhandle is comforat access or not but not sure.
Anyway, might be interesting to be noted.
CAH_ENABLE_REAR
CAH_ENABLE_TAGE_PASSENGER

3. Yes, must, nothing to add.

4. I have came to the conclusion that BDC 6825528 is used in production of cars however cannot be bought as (spare)-part. Not all parts are listed in ETK / realoem.

Does anybody know which interior antennas are preinstalled?
I guess;
1x steering column, close sensor
1x center console front
1x center console back

So I think we only need to retrofit;
Sideskirt L (exterior)
Sideskirt R (exterior)
Rear Bumper (exterior)
Luggage compartment (interior)

I got a deal for 200 EUR on smart opener ECU + Sensors, 1 exterior antenna and 1 interior antenna and Left Hand doorhandle, so I took the plunge.

For the 5DP retrofit I need to run some wires to back of the car so I thought I could also run the wires from the rear bumper to front as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:09 AM   #24
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Took the plunge.

Part 1:
Retrofitted first part, the contact free tailgate opener / smart opener & antenna in rear bumper.

ToDo
Doorhandles + wiring (came back from painter today)
Sideskirt antennas
Trunk antenna (easy)

Last edited by mrpingu; 10-13-2023 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 03:50 AM   #25
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Installed the driver doorhandle, that was more work than I expected.

Some notes:

1. The door handle support is different for CA/non-CA. The metalpart & doorhandle have mirrored bumps so you can't get a non-CA handle in a CA-handlesupport and vice versa.
2. To get the support out you have to get the locking mechanism out aswell, otherwise there is not enough room to get it out.

Custom wiring has still to be made, used already 1m to get the wire from handle to inside, so next time it will be easier to just splice to pull wire to the door connector.

For now skipping the passengerside doorhandle as this is quite a hassle and I am not done yet.

Next up
1. Finishing wiring in driver door
2. Installing antenne in driver sideskirt.
Attached Images

Last edited by mrpingu; 10-20-2023 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 03:09 PM   #26
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Today installed the luggage compartment antenna, probably the easiest one.

Note: I still have to pull the wires to the front to the BDC but now I have all needed wires at the back and can do it at once.

The last picture also shows where the smart opener and antenna come in to the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:37 PM   #27
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Added passenger sideskirt antenna and also fitted front PDC wire in 1 go as both need to go through the firewall. Used an empty grommet and looks pretty neat if you ask me.

Only don’t really know how the wire from the antenna once you get the edge of the wheel arch. But I just put it somewhere where I would see it fit but not totally satisfied…

Also TIS/ISTA shows the antenna in the middle of the sideskirt but if you look up the X2 you will find it is actually on the end near the rear wheel.
Attached Images

11-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #28
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Today I programmed the BDC and the installed antennas were recognized.
Found however out that smart opener module didn’t work and have a fault code for that but that’s probably due that I installed a module from 2013 car. The ETK list another number so it probably is myself to blame for using wrong part.

I installed a box with white connectors but from all images of the right part number it should be totally black. So will have to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 01:02 PM   #29
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Update:
Replaced the smart opener module and it worked
This means the rest of the Comfort Access retrofit will probably gonna work as well when I get to to connect all cables

Still have

Install driver side skirt antennas, this is now directly connected to BDC with short wire for test purposes.

Install doorhandle passenger side
And wire up the driver handle

All in all this retrofit is a pretty big job but just wanted to inform that is definitely possible. But for next time buy a car with it

wcruzeiro So put this one on your list aswell
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2023, 05:46 PM   #30
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
So now is driver antenna installed. Getting the sideskirt off is really a fight because it’s hard to reach the tabs.

Next up:
Wire through the firewall at the driver side.
Then connected the door connector and then pull wire to BDC from driver side.

Last 2 images are “switched” the wire comes up from the wheel arch/side panel and then I route it along the hood-release cable and found that there is a free grommet which I am going to use to get into the cabin.
Attached Images

Last edited by mrpingu; 11-21-2023 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #31
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Aaaaand it’s working: pulled the wire from driver side to passenger side, so driver handle & driver antenna er now connected to BDC and all functions work now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 01:31 PM   #32
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Update:
Replaced the smart opener module and it worked
This means the rest of the Comfort Access retrofit will probably gonna work as well when I get to to connect all cables

Still have

Install driver side skirt antennas, this is now directly connected to BDC with short wire for test purposes.

Install doorhandle passenger side
And wire up the driver handle

All in all this retrofit is a pretty big job but just wanted to inform that is definitely possible. But for next time buy a car with it

wcruzeiro So put this one on your list aswell
The parts are coming! I will read and re-read your guide. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 01:50 PM   #33
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcruzeiro View Post
The parts are coming! I will read and re-read your guide. Thank you
Nice!
I still have to replace the passenger doorhandle & the tailgate button but everything else works as expected and no errors

I have in mind rewriting parts of my posts in a separate topic with images etc.
      12-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #34
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice!
I still have to replace the passenger doorhandle & the tailgate button but everything else works as expected and no errors

I have in mind rewriting parts of my posts in a separate topic with images etc.
Great to see you made it! I believe that the parts I bought will arrive in January, so I will have a lot of work ahead.

Was it necessary to change the BDC module? If it is possible, can you make a video of how the S322A works?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #35
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great to see you made it! I believe that the parts I bought will arrive in January, so I will have a lot of work ahead.

Was it necessary to change the BDC module? If it is possible, can you make a video of how the S322A works?

Thank you.
In my case it was not neccesary to change it. You can check beforehand if you have HWAP F29 with e-sys. I however believe that all X1 cars have this as they have keyless start inside so half of the antennas are already in the car and so I think all the BDCs support the rest of the antennas too.

Another way to double check is to calculate(TAL calculation tab in e-sys) a SVT_soll with 322 in FA, if it shows correct HWEL you are good.

I have a video but just need to upload it somewhere. This forum doesn’t take it.
Attached Images

01-04-2024, 03:35 AM   #36
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thank you.
Here is a short video showing, opening, closing & trunk opener.

https://youtube.com/shorts/E7shpTZ0vAU
      01-12-2024, 12:24 PM   #37
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Here is a short video showing, opening, closing & trunk opener.

https://youtube.com/shorts/E7shpTZ0vAU
I believe there is no sku OEM BMW cabling for CA S322A, right?
Can you share the SKU of the aerial antenna connectors?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 02:05 PM   #38
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe there is no sku OEM BMW cabling for CA S322A, right?
Can you share the SKU of the aerial antenna connectors?
No, had to make all wiring myself and not entirely sure as I found all antennas including the connectors but have the following numbers written down in my notes
exterior antenna connectors (sealed)
interior antenna connectors
Appreciate 1