BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Need Advice on X1 Purchase Please

03-28-2024, 09:59 PM   #1
Evilsports
Rep
Drives: Possible 2018 X1

Need Advice on X1 Purchase Please

Hi folks,

I'm Kevin and I'm a 49 year old guy from Saskatchewan Canada. I don't own a BMW, nor have I ever.

I'm off to look at a 2018 X1 this weekend as a potential vehicle for my oldest daughter and I was hoping to grab some insight from people more knowledgeable than me.

Could anybody please share some ideas on what to look for in a used X1? Any common wear items, sore spots, warning signs to look/listen for when checking out the vehicle?

I appreciate any help that is offered, and thank you in advanced to anybody that takes the time to type out advice.

Kevin.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 12:42 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Hi Kevin,

Prefacing this comment with I mean no personal offense, just want you to make the most informed decision possible. Unless you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you may want to consider getting a pre-purchase inspection.

With online research and these forums, you can equip yourself pretty well to run through a checklist solo. Several threads have photos and detailed descriptions of the symptoms/fixes.

Not a comprehensive list, but here's the common issues discussed over the years (several I've also experienced):

1. Worn engine mount(s). The top passenger side is a recurring culprit and is usually easy to confirm with: (a) visual inspection (leaking residue or torn rubber), or (b) hood up, engine running, transmission in drive AND foot on brake, blip the throttle and observe engine movement (engine will "buck" and move excessively if a mount is worn).

2. Sagging sunscreen blind. Visually apparent. Make sure to open/close the sunscreen and cloth blind. It can cost $1k+ for proper fix.

3. Premature brake pad wear. Inspect pad life remaining and ask whether the factory pads have been changed out. In earlier years, several members have complained of pads wearing out <20-30k miles.

4. Faulty fuel vent valve. If bad, CEL typically lights up on dash and may have a rough idle, but usually still drives normally otherwise.

5. Suspension noise. A pretty general issue, but bad strut mounts/lower control arms are not uncommon. Test drive the car and listen for any weird clunks/rattles while making low speed turning maneuvers or going over speed bumps.

6. Bad shifter spring/"secure vehicle" error. There's a long thread titled "Transmission Error" with more information. Essentially a spring will go bad, throwing an error message on dash. If a fix is needed, a professional fix can be expensive and most of the cost is in the labor as it requires disassembling much of the center console to replace a small spring/entire shifter assembly. Most folks claim it's not a driveability/safety concern, but definitely an issue you want to be aware of.

Beyond the above list, ask about maintenance history. I'd like to know about oil (and other fluids) change interval, spark plugs, filters, battery, etc. were done at appropriate intervals.

Also, inspect the tread depth and tire condition (uneven wear/dry rot); signs of leaks (crusty white residue - coolant; black soot/greasy residue - oil) in/under engine bay; excessive rust (in snow heavy areas); and properly functioning equipment (interior/exterior lights, HVAC system, reverse camera if equipped).

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever car you end up choosing!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 01:58 PM   #3
Evilsports
Rep

Skyline, thank you very much for taking the time. No offense taken! I'm a heavy duty mech by trade so I am mechanically apt, albeit the lion's share of my experience is on bigger diesel powered equipment.

I had come across the motor mount and sunshade issues in my own reading, but the rest are new to me. Your advice is very useful and very much appreciated.

Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 07:20 PM   #4
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Also make sure heat comes out of every vent. The passenger side can fail and its several thousand to fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:43 PM   #5
Evilsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post
Also make sure heat comes out of every vent. The passenger side can fail and its several thousand to fix.
I will, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:34 PM   #6
rpschultz13
United_States
Rep
Drives: JDI

I’m in the same boat, looking for my first BMW. An X1. My research says to stay with 2017 or better a 2018 and up.

One metric I use to compare price and mileage: (150k-mileage)/price in k
So a $20,000 with 50,000 miles gives a 5.0. Bigger is better.

The 150k is arbitrary, but essentially when you’d want to sell it. So the formula is giving you miles until you sell it per dollar. Really helps to compare similar cars with different prices and mileage.

Good luck👍
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:18 PM   #7
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

I'm almost at 150k in a 2016
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:22 PM   #8
Evilsports
Rep

Thanks again for the advice folks. I checked the vehicle thoroughly, no codes or faults on the scanner, new brakes tires and windscreen, only driven by a very sweet older lady since new, all service records at a BMW dealer.

I did notice that the top engine mount on the passenger side was beginning to collapse, and they were kind enough to knock a few thousand dollars off of the asking price for that.

I made the two and a half hour drive home following my wife and realized that my 16 year old daughter is going to have the nicest vehicle in the family come her birthday on April 11th!

The thing is rock solid to drive, it feels like it just came off the lot. And all of the options and add-ons are very cool. It also turned out to be an m sport vehicle. I didn't know a lot about X1 prior to this so it's been a crash course.
Appreciate 2
mrpingu180.50
      03-31-2024, 05:45 PM   #9
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Good to hear

Personally I like the msport version most, I wish I could get a X1 as birthday gift. Pretty sure she will be happy.

Don’t forget to post some pictures here ☺️
      03-31-2024, 07:56 PM   #10
Evilsports
Rep

Took a few pictures after I got back to the city and washed the car. It's stashed at a friends place now until the 11th so we can put a big bow on it for the birthday girl.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:39 PM   #11
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Congrats Kevin! Glad to hear it worked out. I'm sure your daughter will really appreciate the awesome gift. The new ride looks SUPER clean - Msport with the LED headlights is a great setup.
Appreciate 0