BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 and other BMWs Speaker/Amplifier compatibility and recommandations

07-17-2023, 05:48 AM   #45
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
I just installed the HK-amp in favour for the HiFi AMP i had but now the center-channel is waaaaay more pronounced. So much that I was wondering if the the door speakers still worked. But the do, it feels like the center speaker is on 50% volume while the rest of the speakers is on something like 25% volume

Did anyone notice when replacing the HK amp? I didn't code the Headunit yet so that might the culprit but if that doesn't improve the center channel to more normal levels then I will switch back to the HiFi AMP and sell the HK amp. .

I think I found out, Fader was set all the way to the front... Setting it to center makes it normal again, I think that value is read/stored from/in the Amplifier and not stored in the HU I think. Leaving the HK amp where it is.

Now I should retrofit the tweeters when I finally order the trims.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:22 PM   #46
Fitf8
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Great post on audio upgrade

Thanks for the informative posts fellows X1 owners!

Now to my questions (newby here):

1) will one need to put amplifier in the rear quarter space as per videos i've seen of the HK system?

2) Can an amplifier be put under the glovebox as? Read post in the F30 section suggesting this and i'm thinking X1 being a bigger car might have more space under the glovebox.

3) will a complete wiring/harness be needed if adding amp? Current audio option is Base.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 09:15 AM   #47
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitf8 View Post
Thanks for the informative posts fellows X1 owners!

Now to my questions (newby here):

1) will one need to put amplifier in the rear quarter space as per videos i've seen of the HK system?

2) Can an amplifier be put under the glovebox as? Read post in the F30 section suggesting this and i'm thinking X1 being a bigger car might have more space under the glovebox.

3) will a complete wiring/harness be needed if adding amp? Current audio option is Base.

Thanks all
1) OEM is in the rear quarter yes, both HK and HiFI
2) aftermarker amp could be probably put there
3) yes because base is directly driven from head unit. (This will make 2 not so bad idea though
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 06:54 PM   #48
Fitf8
Rep

Quote:
1) OEM is in the rear quarter yes, both HK and HiFI
2) aftermarker amp could be probably put there
3) yes because base is directly driven from head unit. (This will make 2 not so bad idea though
Great stuff, mrpingu! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 06:13 AM   #49
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitf8 View Post
Great stuff, mrpingu! Thanks
Note, that you probably need to switch out the speakers of the BASE system.
While HiFi and HK speakers are of pretty good quality according to @billfitz over at the F30 forum the base speakers are cheap.
If interested, I have the HiFi AMP + 2x midrange lying around as I upgraded front doors to HK.

Best solution for tweeters is also using the original BMW trim if you go the HK tweeter way. Other drilling an hole in the stock trim could work

some reading food:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955555
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1363622

In this post a suggestion for harnesses is done:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=37
Appreciate 1
Fitf81.50
      08-31-2023, 09:20 AM   #50
x3jr
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, F48 X1

Quote:
I just installed the HK-amp in favour for the HiFi AMP i had but now the center-channel is waaaaay more pronounced. So much that I was wondering if the the door speakers still worked. But the do, it feels like the center speaker is on 50% volume while the rest of the speakers is on something like 25% volume

Did anyone notice when replacing the HK amp? I didn't code the Headunit yet so that might the culprit but if that doesn't improve the center channel to more normal levels then I will switch back to the HiFi AMP and sell the HK amp. .
Is there any value in replacing the HiFi amp with the HK amp if I'm not planning on adding or replacing any speakers?

Also, is coding necessary after the swap? What's required to code for the HK amp and what's the benefit?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Fitf81.50
      09-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #51
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3jr View Post
Is there any value in replacing the HiFi amp with the HK amp if I'm not planning on adding or replacing any speakers?

Also, is coding necessary after the swap? What's required to code for the HK amp and what's the benefit?

Thanks!
No coding required if you only swap the amp. If you want to VO-code HK amp then you need to add the wires to the R4 bus and code the AMP.

The benefit is that the HK amp has a little bit more oomph/power but it's not a big difference, I just wanted to upgrade more or less to OEM and could get a good deal from scrapyard incl HK amp.
Appreciate 1
x3jr37.50
      09-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #52
x3jr
Rep

Quote:
No coding required if you only swap the amp. If you want to VO-code HK amp then you need to add the wires to the R4 bus and code the AMP.

The benefit is that the HK amp has a little bit more oomph/power but it's not a big difference, I just wanted to upgrade more or less to OEM and could get a good deal from scrapyard incl HK amp.
Understood, thanks for the info. I would just be swapping the amp (might have the opportunity to get one for cheap) so it sounds like coding would bring no benefit, only extra work.

I know the HK amp is higher wattage, but the HK setup also has more speakers, so I figured the extra wattage likely goes to power the additional speakers... but people seem to swear just swapping the hifi amp for the HK amp makes the hifi system sound better.

If you swapped the amps before adding the extra speakers, did you notice a benefit?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #53
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Understood, thanks for the info. I would just be swapping the amp (might have the opportunity to get one for cheap) so it sounds like coding would bring no benefit, only extra work.

I know the HK amp is higher wattage, but the HK setup also has more speakers, so I figured the extra wattage likely goes to power the additional speakers... but people seem to swear just swapping the hifi amp for the HK amp makes the hifi system sound better.

If you swapped the amps before adding the extra speakers, did you notice a benefit?
Not really big difference IMO, maybe a tad clearer. Problem with audio is that the mental factor is very high and very not factual… But I wouldn’t say it is a big improvement. Maybe the subwoofers are little bit more clear and pronounced because of the extra power.

I could get the amp from the same scrapyard car as the HK speakers and tweeters. But i wouldn’t bother for only the amp unless you can get it really cheap.
Best upgrade of quality is achieved with aftermarket amp like the Match 7BMW. Which I bought newly and going to install soon. This should be more noticeable upgrade.
Appreciate 1
x3jr37.50
      09-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #54
x3jr
Rep

Quote:
Not really big difference IMO, maybe a tad clearer. Problem with audio is that the mental factor is very high and very not factual… But I wouldn’t say it is a big improvement. Maybe the subwoofers are little bit more clear and pronounced because of the extra power.

I could get the amp from the same scrapyard car as the HK speakers and tweeters. But i wouldn’t bother for only the amp unless you can get it really cheap.
Best upgrade of quality is achieved with aftermarket amp like the Match 7BMW. Which I bought newly and going to install soon. This should be more noticeable upgrade.
Right on, thanks again! I won't bother with the HK amp unless it's a crazy deal. So true about the mental factor...

I have the MatchUP 7BMW in my G01, you're going to love it. Let me know if you want a relatively bass-heavy sound profile and I'll send it over.
Appreciate 1
Fitf81.50
      09-02-2023, 07:44 PM   #55
Fitf8
Rep

Quote:
Note, that you probably need to switch out the speakers of the BASE system.
While HiFi and HK speakers are of pretty good quality according to @billfitz over at the F30 forum the base speakers are cheap.
If interested, I have the HiFi AMP + 2x midrange lying around as I upgraded front doors to HK.

Best solution for tweeters is also using the original BMW trim if you go the HK tweeter way. Other drilling an hole in the stock trim could work

some reading food:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955555
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1363622

In this post a suggestion for harnesses is done:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=37
Thanks dude! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 11:22 AM   #56
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I added Pioneer tweeters where the HK tweeters go. I had them affixed to the outside of the plastic cover and it looks cool. I also added a Pioneer Digital Subwoofer in the trunk under the cover and its held in place with premium professional heavy duty velcro. It has a controller that fits in the coin box to the left of my steering wheel (left hand drive). The controller is an active cross-over with contour and bass boost buttons and dials. I have the upgraded sound system with the woofers under the seats. I set the tone controls so that the bass speakers act like mids. Now since there's much less bass coming from the OEM system the OEM amp isn't stressed the sound quality is so much cleaner now. I have friends with the H/K systems and they sound really good but not much better than mine now. The picture of the sub is upside down... and for some reason it won't allow me to change it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 06:50 AM   #57
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right on, thanks again! I won't bother with the HK amp unless it's a crazy deal. So true about the mental factor...

I have the MatchUP 7BMW in my G01, you're going to love it. Let me know if you want a relatively bass-heavy sound profile and I'll send it over.
I finally got to install it and it's big improvement. I went from HiFi amp to HK amp to 7BMW. Could have skipped the HK amp thingy.

Should have done it earlier...