Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
You can sell it on eBay
I probably could, heck I even have all parts double so I can sell 1 atleast and earn back the R&D costs

---

While I am waiting on the waterproof COB ledstrip. I put some effort and thoughts where I am going to put everything and how to connect.

I have to scratch the idea of using the BDC directly for driving the LEDs. According to the experts at bimmerferst, the BDC controls voltage using PWM, but only doing so with varying the duty cycle. This would come down to flickering leds.

I however didn't totally abandoned the idea of using the BDC to control the relay. The reason is that, directly tapping into Fuse 44 or Fuse 47 is that as soon the lights are powered the grill is also powered and would mean splicing.

I studied some diagrams and as I have LED headlights, the DRL output for halogens is unused. More specifically
TFL_L on PIN 50 of BDC A258*3B
TFL_R on PIN 38 of BDC A258*3B
(Tagfahrlicht_...)

What does that mean? That means if we can use the BDC to control the lights and we don't have to splice any wires but it would mean coding.

MAPPING_TAGHFAHRL_1_V_L_OUTPUT -> tfl_l [03], then we can use the voltage on this output to switch on the relay.

Another good thing is that we could put the voltage regulator & relay all.
In my case Fuse F48 (AdBlue control module) is not installed, I am thinking to put in a double leaf spring there and then route it to the relay.

In my thoughts this is the cleanest way as the relay & step down voltage converter can be put away somewhere nicely below / behind the glovebox and only need to run a + and - wire through the firewall. I quickly draw a diagram and attached.
Attached Images