BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Bridgestone Winter Tires

I want to take a small post to share my amazement with my Bridgestone purchase from TireRack.com..

I don’t get a lot of snow or inclement weather where I live, but when it comes, it can be pretty serious. In my recent case, not so serious, but amazing nonetheless.

I bought a set of Bridgestone WS-70 last Fall and installed them myself on a mild weekend. Since then, I have experienced limited severe weather and the few snow falls have been fairly mild, limited to around 6”. The car is so stable in powder and compact snow that with basic common sense, you find yourself pushing the car in the early hours of the morning with clear roads to get it to react like you expect a RWD car should.. With many opportunities and DSC off, I really have to push it to get it to get silly.. Once it does, it, “snaps” right back into line immediately…

Amazing compound..

I find myself getting a bit, “over-zealous” with the traction… Such as this morning..

Started the car at 5:30 AM and after a minute, headed to work on the normal route. Three miles at 25 MPH and 9 miles of freeway with a few more miles of back roads to get to work... Dash registered 31 degrees and coming out of a two week arctic cold snap, so I was careful, noticing some icing on the side of the roads while the rain came down.

Hopped onto the freeway and got into it to get ahead of a few trucks and appreciated the perfect sound… Settled in at about 62 and backed off. Everything normal… An Audi A4 passed me on the left and I didn’t care as I was moving up the speed of the wipers.. I settled in for the very normal short drive and within a couple of minutes, there was flashing lights ahead.. It was a State Trooper, aiding the owner of the Audi who had spun off into the median. It was then that I slowed a bit to the mid 50’s.. The car felt perfectly stable, even passing a slow truck..

Made it safely to work, braking and accelerating safely, and pull into my parking spot a few miles later.. No earthly idea what I had just driven through.. Got out of the car and promptly slipped and fell on my ass…… Sprained my wrist in the process.

As I wrapped and taped it up, all I could do was be amazed at the performance of the tires.. I was literally driving on a sheet of wet ice while it was raining.. I couldn’t tell the difference from dry pavement in how the car handled or performed.

While my wrist and ass hurts like hell, I have nothing but respect for this tire and would suggest it to anyone at any cost.. It’s amazing and most likely saves lives on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0