BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

Ditched the runflats...now what??

I've read that certain bushings and control arms are purposely soft to make driving the on the RFT more compliant.
Now that I have softer tires (Stock size PSS), what bit & pieces should I change out to balance things out? Hopefully they are things I can easily DIY.
Thanks in advanve guys
      01-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
I've read that certain bushings and control arms are purposely soft to make driving the on the RFT more compliant.
Now that I have softer tires (Stock size PSS), what bit & pieces should I change out to balance things out? Hopefully they are things I can easily DIY.
Thanks in advanve guys
Some members swap them out for bushings from the M3. That should help however I don't know if it will help the diminished steering turn in.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Thanks in advanve guys
Just about everything imaginable on the suspension has been changed by someone or other. There is no particular agreement about what to do first. Look through the forum, you'll get the picture.

You will get suggestions from various people about what to do in what order. Some questions are: how knowledgeable are they, what do they want the car to do (nice daily driver, track use, please their particular psyche, impress people, etc. etc.), how do they drive. It all counts. Maybe how much money do they have.

You can flail away, you can do something or other, you can have someone else make the decisions for you. If that's what you want, BMW has various performance suspension packages, and the M series cars don't come with run flats.

Or you can put in a fair amount of work doing research here, and decide for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Or, you can just leave things as they are. I swapped out the RFTs on my wife's 128i M-Sport for Conti Extreme DW non-runflats and it improved the handling and ride. However, I updated from 205/225 tire widths on 17" wheels to 225/255 widths on wider 18" wheels, which is probably responsible for most of the improvement in handling.

BTW - it's the sway bars (not control arms) that control body roll. If you have M-Sport, you have sport suspension, which is not as toned-down for ride quality as the non-sport. The difference in sidewall compliance can be compensated for with aftermarket springs and shocks, but tire design and diameter/width also have a lot to do with handling. I had a different brand of non-RFTs on the 128i before switching to Contis, and there was a noticeable improvement in ride with no discernible difference in handling.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I'd drive it a for a bit, and use the feedback you get from that, along with the above posts, to help you make the best decision.

I switched the run-flats for the Conti DW on my '09 128, and I intend to do the same when my '13 comes out of hibernation in a month. That change alone made me happy enough. There does appear to be some options for you if you want to tweak things some more.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

Thanks for the thoughts....all good points. I do have M sport so i'll see how it goes for now and research stuff at the same time. First thing should really be a mobility kit of some sort. Already have a portable compressor so getting the can of stop leak as well would be a good start. Tires arrived today & go on monday...cant wait!!

For the PSS tires just use stock PSI listed on the door jamb?
      02-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts....all good points. I do have M sport so i'll see how it goes for now and research stuff at the same time. First thing should really be a mobility kit of some sort. Already have a portable compressor so getting the can of stop leak as well would be a good start. Tires arrived today & go on monday...cant wait!!

For the PSS tires just use stock PSI listed on the door jamb?
The "M" mobility kit is available from getbmwparts.com for a fairly reasonable price. Yes to the question about the tire pressure - I follow what's on the door jamb for the 17" tires I removed. You may want to add/delete a couple pounds once you've driven on them, such as when the warmer weather comes in.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Same as most here, I replaced my runflat (the infamous Goodyear NCT5 summer) for a set of Conti ExtremeContact DW, same size as original, on the sport suspension. Kept the pressure equal to recommendations (32 front and 35 rear) and did not notice differences except for the quality of the ride (not the RFT harshness but not too soft neither, just a good compromise) and the fabulous grip of these tires.

I wouldn't mind trying the M3 bushings but I am not enough DIY for doing it myself...
      02-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

Best to sign up for road side assistance unless you're prepared to fix it yourself if/when you get a flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTDRV View Post

Best to sign up for road side assistance unless you're prepared to fix it yourself if/when you get a flat.
The good news is that with the purchase of the new michelins, they will tow you for free up to 150 miles, plus BMW likely will as well, though they may try to weasel their way out of that since you don't have runflats.

Here's more info on the michelin plan. You can apparently even return the tires and get your money back within 30 days if not satisfied which is crazy, but ok! You'll love the PSS though as the ride quality is so much better after getting rid of the runflats.

http://www.michelinman.com/automotiv.../warranty.page
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
Randeree
Awesome Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 120d E82

I ditched my runflats and fitted the normal tires. My initial impression is that the car, at speed, doesn't handle the same on a bend as the runflats. However, the ride became much softer. I suppose if you have sport suspension there wouldn't be a huge difference.

Some people may say that i'm wrong but i'm just typing my review of the car after the swap
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
The benefits outweigh the costs. Anyone who understands why you would ditch runflat tires, for the pupose of better grip/performance/ less noise, should understand that the stock non-sport suspension is soft and needs to be upgraded. Most will upgrade their suspension and bushings if they care about better handling anyway. Otherwise there is no reason to ditch the stock run-flats. IMO.
      02-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeree View Post
I ditched my runflats and fitted the normal tires. My initial impression is that the car, at speed, doesn't handle the same on a bend as the runflats. However, the ride became much softer. I suppose if you have sport suspension there wouldn't be a huge difference.

Some people may say that i'm wrong but i'm just typing my review of the car after the swap
Is it possible that what you're feeling is simply diminished steering response, due to the much weaker sidewall? That is a drawback, but one that's outweighed for many people by better "handling" overall.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeree View Post

What psi are you running? Try upping the tire pressures to +2/+3 psi over recommended.
Appreciate 0