ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
BabyLankanBMW.UK
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Merc A Class AMG (ex.BMW e36)

Z4 Fold up mirrors??

Been looking at used Z4's for a while and its the first time ive noticed them, wondered if this is standard or rare option? Im looking to buy my first Z now that im finally out of uni and workin my ass off! This car is a UK 2003 2.5Ltr model. Anyone else got any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Pontio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

electric folding mirrors is an option. Very nice if you have it, if not then it doesnt matter, just fold the required mirror up manually.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I wish it was a stateside option...but manual works as well.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Gel
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

They're an option.

I have them on my Z4 too.

Advice for you, make sure it has xenons, multifunction steering wheel and premium sound system....these things are what every person who I know with a Z4 wishes they had...seriously, best advise you will get.

When you have the multifunction wheel and the xenons I think you automatically get auto sensing lights and wipers.

Models with a black head unit will play Mp3's too (2005 onwards)

Apart from making sure it isn't a Silver one, they look fat....Sterling Grey is the best colour especially with the Graphite Grilles

2.2 is a scream, 3 litre if you can afford the insurance and increased MPG

Avoid the 2.0, don't buy any model pre April 2004

Z4 2.2 Remapped, Cold Air Induction, Sound Generator
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
BabyLankanBMW.UK
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Gel! thanks a lot for your advice, its good to find someone who knows abt the UK Z scene.

I defo want all those things u mention but although ive landed a decent job after uni, the Z is still going to be a stretch... and for this reason I was thinkin of an earlier model, 2k3 perhaps 2k4...why do u specify staying away from pre April 2k4?

I want a 6 cyl so its goin to be a 2.5 or 3.0, can live with the extra MPG as I do low miles. Black with Red leather - M Sport Seats if poss.

Headunit/Sounds system is not really an issue as i will upgrade to pioneer/alpine all around.

Also... what about SMG? any ideas? this is an area i have no clue about...Is it just paddle shift? do you still get a 'normal' shifter / gearbox? could it be more potential trouble than its worth? any thoughts would help.

Kind regards.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
albailey
Rep
Drives: '03 3.0 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLankanBMW.UK View Post
... what about SMG? any ideas? this is an area i have no clue about...Is it just paddle shift? do you still get a 'normal' shifter / gearbox? could it be more potential trouble than its worth? any thoughts would help.
smg utilizes the same gearbox as the manual 6 speed, but is operated by a hydraulically actuated(?) clutch.
shift manually via paddles or stick; or select 'drive' mode, which mimics an automatic.
upside is it works well and everyone i've talked to who has it (including me) really likes it.
downside is there aren't too many of them compared to manual and automatic (i remember hearing 6% of U.S. z4's?).
also since it's different, you'll probably take a hit on resale, if that's of any concern to you.
i believe '03 was the only year the smg was available on the 2.5, which means it was
the only time the 2.5 was available as a 6 speed here in the U.S.

- al.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by albailey View Post
smg utilizes the same gearbox as the manual 6 speed, but is operated by a hydraulically actuated(?) clutch.
shift manually via paddles or stick; or select 'drive' mode, which mimics an automatic.
upside is it works well and everyone i've talked to who has it (including me) really likes it.
downside is there aren't too many of them compared to manual and automatic (i remember hearing 6% of U.S. z4's?).
also since it's different, you'll probably take a hit on resale, if that's of any concern to you.
i believe '03 was the only year the smg was available on the 2.5, which means it was
the only time the 2.5 was available as a 6 speed here in the U.S.

- al.
I'm not a tranny expert but from what I've read that's completely false.

The SMG in the Z4's is a auto transmission with a steptronic mode where you can change gears using the paddle shifter or with the gear select lever.

Newer versions of SMG (think M5/M6) are computer controlled transmissions and are much more advanced than the "SMG" you'd get a Z4.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
BabyLankanBMW.UK
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

great, conflicting views...as if i wasnt confused enough already! lol. Thanks guys

Regards.
Appreciate 0