ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Advice for a suspension noob

So, I am am decently knowledgeable on drivetrain and other systems in our cars, however, am not when it comes to suspension. Need some thoughts, tips, advice, recommendations on how to tighten things up.

I am going to go with springs, likely Eibach as I understand the H&Rs don't lower the fronts enough (correct me if I am wrong). I may end of going to coilovers or just some better shocks/struts but not until next year at the soonest. For now, just want some lowering mainly.

In terms of other suspension and related components (items I see discussed here like sway bar end links, control arm bushings, etc) what should I do and understand about various components in order to tighten things up. I may do the occasional track day down the road but for now I just want a tighter suspension with better response if that makes sense.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

My advice? Save up and buy some good coils. Springs alone won't get you where you want to be. Bilstein + springs? Closer. Real coils? Better. Lowering alone won't tighten things up. (If you're good with that for now that's another story.)

Suspension is all about trade offs. Tighter means less street comfort. Higher spring rates. Etc.

Bushings and RTAB limiters tighten things up by keeping deflection to a minimum and maintains geometry under load. But, it also means vibration and noise are transfered. A nice rubber bushing will deflect but also attenuates vibration. An almost solid bushing won't deflect but will be rough.

Trade offs. All about trade offs.

Folks can offer more if you describe what's lacking now and what you want from handling.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-30-2013 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Thanks Finnegan. I am considering the Bilstein shocks. Just don't think I am going to need coilovers. The Bilstein B12 kit comes with their HD shocks plus the Eibach springs so my thinking was that if I got just the springs now (more for lowering - looks) I could just pick up the shocks next year. With the new EC7s, PSSs, and SS Race cans, budget is pretty much tapped out!

I really just want a setup that reacts a little quicker, keeps the car flatter in tight turns...I don't mind a bit stiffer of a ride if it means everything feeling tighter.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Not sure what the Eibach spring rates are, so check first. Unless their higher than stock it's not going to tighten things up. You probably want 100 lb more or so than stock, but i don't recall what stock is. Upgrade plan sounds solid and makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Finnegan's comments pretty much sum it up.

That said; Bilsteins and springs will tighten things up nicely.
the main improvement being less front end porpoising.

Ive been the H&R spring route with my M roady.
and had Eibach/Koni on the M coupe.
JMO but I liked the H&R better.

The M roady setup worked out great ...not much track.
On the Coupe it didnt take long to migrate to Coil overs; more track.
So..... based on your stated needs Bilstein/springs might be all you ever need.

Here are a few pics of my M Roady on H&Rs with a 15mm pad at the back.

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0