ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Programming for Odometer - Miles to KMs

OK, I finally got my cable and software up and running for diagnosis and such. I have used DIS to to checks and Progman to do some car/key programming (now have one touch 3 signal flash among other things).

Where I am stuck is trying to find where to change miles to kilometers on the odometer. I am assuming its in NCSexpert but am still a little intimidated by the thought of using it.

Can anyone help me get this done with step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Did you see anything that would allow you to enable Seat Memory - Automatic driver's seat position? In my research it appears that this is only able to be done by the dealer.

I ordered the same cable and software but haven't gotten around to installing anything yet. It would be great if I could do this without going to the dealer.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Great! I just tried copying the files from the DIS and SSS discs and discovered that the SSS disc is cracked!

Could someone copy the SSS disc and send it to me? It would probably be faster than contacting the seller in Romania.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

I can do that but it will be a few weeks. I am heading to Africa in a few days so no more time for this stuff till I am back on the 18th.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
I can do that but it will be a few weeks. I am heading to Africa in a few days so no more time for this stuff till I am back on the 18th.
I've e-mailed the seller, bmwfanatiq, and asked if I have to return it or whether he can just send me another disc. I bought it on 12/27 and got it about 10 days ago, but I had relatives from out of town staying with us and didn't try to install it until today. I'll see what he says but it may be faster to just wait for you!

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

I bought from the same guy. He is pretty helpful...have emailed him 4 times now for help and he always replies overnight.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Although this may not be particularly helpful, I had my dealer in Florida do that for me when I bought the car. If you are close to the border, a US dealer is cheaper.

I had the following things set up:
  1. Doors lock at 10 mph
  2. US style daytime running lights enabled (halos). I like that better than the Canadian set up because you can have the fog lights on while the main headlights are off; ideal for real fog conditions. The Canadian set up is actually stupid and unsafe because you cannot turn off the headlights and use only the fog lights.
  3. 3 flash turn signals
  4. Seat memories tied to remote keys
  5. Horn blows when idiot driver is encountered. Hang on - I do that manually LOL!

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Great! I just tried copying the files from the DIS and SSS discs and discovered that the SSS disc is cracked!

Could someone copy the SSS disc and send it to me? It would probably be faster than contacting the seller in Romania.
Haven't looked at mine since it arrived.
If the files aren't too big maybe they can be emailed?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

The SSS disk is huge. Takes up almost the whole DVD so it's a few Gig.

Huz-z...yes, I can now code those things you mentioned myself. Cost me $35 for everything. Problem is that the odo coding is not in the same program which has a decent user interface. It involves pulling code from a module, rewriting the code, then uploading it back. Need to be 100% certain so your not turning your car into a paperweight.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Hi,

I did a few changes on my Z4, M3 and X3 through NCS Expert.

Worked great!

I did on the Z4:
- open/closing Top with key
- Open/closing top doesn't stop when start driving
- disabled belt beep.
- blinking lock/ unlock car
- LED in mirror
- disable Miami setting (locks close when faster than 15 km/h)
- full moon brake light when hard braking
- Brake-Force-Light. third brake light flashes when ABS kicks in.

As I remember there was a setting for miles and km/h. I need to check the SW_PSW.trc file.. I might have it in an old email
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Haven't looked at mine since it arrived.
If the files aren't too big maybe they can be emailed?
I received a reply from the seller and he's sent me a torrent file with a link to download directly from his PC. I haven't tried this yet, I hope it's not going to be too slow. He said that if it were too slow he would send me another copy, but that's going to take at least 4 weeks based on the original shipping time.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
OK, I finally got my cable and software up and running for diagnosis and such. I have used DIS to to checks and Progman to do some car/key programming (now have one touch 3 signal flash among other things).

Where I am stuck is trying to find where to change miles to kilometers on the odometer. I am assuming its in NCSexpert but am still a little intimidated by the thought of using it.

Can anyone help me get this done with step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance
You have to do this with NCS expert. Using Revtor's profile dump the trace file for the KOMBI, look for the line that says WEG_EINHEIT, the value below it should read "mls" on yours, change it to "km"(without the quotes).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Sorry, didn't realize you had not used NCS prior. Here are step by step directions:

1. Connect your cable to your vehicle’s OBD II port and to your computer. Your vehicle’s ignition
should be in the ON position, but your engine does not need to be running.
2. Launch INPA and verify that it reads Battery: ON and Ignition: ON. You should also have a
program called “EDIABAS Server” running in your task bar. If everything checks out, close INPA.
Leave the server running.
3. Open “C:\NCSEXPER\WORK” and create an empty text file named “FSW_PSW.MAN”. I just use NOTEPAD for this.
4. Launch NCS Expert. Go to File -> Load profil and select “Revtor’s NCS Expert Profile”, click
OK.
5. Select “VIN/ZCS/FA” then “ZCS/FA f. ECU”. This will tell NCS Expert to attempt to read
your VIN from your vehicle’s ECU so you don’t have to type it in.
6. Select your chassis from the list and click OK. Then select which module you want NCS Expert
to read your VIN from. Usually the first choice is fine. Click OK again to have NCS Expert read
your VIN. You should see the CHASSIS, FG, and FA fields populated in the top part of the NCS
Expert window.
6. Select “Back”, then “Process ECU”. You will be prompted to select a module. Select the
module you want to read values from(in this case KOMBI OR AKMB) and click OK. Click OK again on the window that appears
to return to the main NCS Expert window.

7. Select “Job” and choose “CODIERDATEN_LESSEN” from the menu. This will change the job
from one that writes to one that only reads data. Many of the job names look very similar. Always
read job names carefully to ensure you select the correct one.
8. At this point NCS Expert is relatively harmless, as all it can do is read from your car. Select
“Execute job” to begin reading from your selected module. When you see “Coding ended”
below the module name, the process has completed.
9. Once NCS Expert has read data from a module, it stores that data in a file called
“FSW_PSW.TRC” (called a “trace file”) in the “C:\NCSEXPER\WORK” folder. This file contains
some general information about your car, as well as all the values currently stored in the module
you read from.

NOW THE WRITE PART:

1. Open “FSW_PSW.TRC”(you can use NOTEPAD) and find the field you wish to modify. Trace files are formatted as:
FIELD_NAME
field_value
2. Change the field value(s) to your desired settings(this is where you look for the WEG_EINHEIT field name, and change value to "km"), then save this file as “FSW_PSW.MAN”,
overwriting the empty one you created earlier.
3. If you closed NCS Expert, follow steps 1-6 in the section above to get back to the correct
screen. Otherwise, NCS Expert is ready to code your module as soon as the job is changed back
to the default, “SG_CODIEREN”. Do this by selecting “Job” and then “SG_CODIEREN”, then
click OK. Verify that the correct job appears in the “JOBNAME“ field.
4. Click “Execute job” to have NCS Expert write the information from FSW_PSW.MAN to your
vehicle. When you see “Coding ended” below the module name, the process has completed.
Depending on what you coded, you may need to turn your car off and back on again to verify the
desired feature/behavior has taken effect.
5. Open “FSW_PSW.MAN” and delete its contents. Save and close the file.

Revtor's profile for NCS should have come with the package you purchased. If not, it is readily available for download on the internet, along with simple instructions on how to integrate it with NCS Expert.

Last edited by Jstic; 02-05-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@T View Post
Hi,

I did a few changes on my Z4, M3 and X3 through NCS Expert.

I did on the Z4:
- open/closing Top with key
- Open/closing top doesn't stop when start driving
- disabled belt beep.
- blinking lock/ unlock car
- LED in mirror
- disable Miami setting (locks close when faster than 15 km/h)
- full moon brake light when hard braking
- Brake-Force-Light. third brake light flashes when ABS kicks in.
A fellow BMW CCA member has a GT1 and was able to code the ability to close the top with the key fob. We only spent a few minutes but we couldn't see any way to close the windows too. This would be a nice feature if you're sitting in a restaurant, left your top open, and it starts to rain.

The "full moon brake light" or Adaptive Braking as BMW calls it, is standard, as far as I know. Every Z4 I've seen at autocrosses displays this behavior. My wife's 335is has this feature. The only way to determine if you have this feature is have someone follow you while you brake hard, or you follow your car while someone else is driving it and brakes hard.

The Brake Force Light sounds like an interesting option. I know that people here have discussed aftermarket solutions to add this feature. I saw a Mini at an autocross that had a center brake light that flashed several times whenever the brakes were applied.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I received a reply from the seller and he's sent me a torrent file with a link to download directly from his PC. I haven't tried this yet, I hope it's not going to be too slow. He said that if it were too slow he would send me another copy, but that's going to take at least 4 weeks based on the original shipping time.
I'm downloading it now. The SSS.rar file is 5.84 GB. Total download time will be at least 9 hours.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

Quote:
A fellow BMW CCA member has a GT1 and was able to code the ability to close the top with the key fob. We only spent a few minutes but we couldn't see any way to close the windows too. This would be a nice feature if you're sitting in a restaurant, left your top open, and it starts to rain.

The "full moon brake light" or Adaptive Braking as BMW calls it, is standard, as far as I know. Every Z4 I've seen at autocrosses displays this behavior. My wife's 335is has this feature. The only way to determine if you have this feature is have someone follow you while you brake hard, or you follow your car while someone else is driving it and brakes hard.

The Brake Force Light sounds like an interesting option. I know that people here have discussed aftermarket solutions to add this feature. I saw a Mini at an autocross that had a center brake light that flashed several times whenever the brakes were applied.
Open/close top per FOB, code in GM5:
Code:
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB
aktiv
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
aktiv
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_VERDECK
aktiv
KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN_VERDECK
aktiv
Closing the top when the rain sensor detects rain can be also added but I don't know how. A friend of mine had that option programmed from someone at the FIZ.

The adaptive braking light was standard activated from 8/04 till end. The E85 before that production had it available but not active. Mine is 1/04

BFL Worked for me but I heard some people had problems with that.
Code:
PIN49_37_BFD
nicht_aktiv
PIN38_20_BFD
nicht_aktiv
BFD_BLINK_EINZEIT
wert_02
BFD_BLINK_AUSZEIT
wert_02
BFD_ABS_STUFE3
aktiv
BFD_STUFE3_TIMER
wert_02
BFD_SW2_STUFE3
aktiv
BLST1_BLST3
aktiv
PIN5_10_BFD
nicht_aktiv
BFD_SW1_STUFE3
aktiv
BFD_SW2_STUFE2
nicht_aktiv
BFD_MINDEST_GESCHW
wert_02
BFD_STUFE_2_VERZOEG
wert_02
BFD_STUFE_2_MAX_EIN
wert_01
BFD_SW1_STUFE2
nicht_aktiv
BFD_ABS_STUFE2
nicht_aktiv
BFD_STUFE2_TIMER
wert_01
PIN29_30_BFD
aktiv
BFD3_ASC_TIMER
wert_01
BEI_NSL_KEIN_BFD
nicht_aktiv
There are options like 3x blinking what are just available for the facelift models or LCI CI36
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Jstic, thanks for the awesome info!! I am going to try that out as soon as I can.

Do you use NCSExpert for Dummies or just the regular version? Is there a "manual" or list of ALL options...specifically the german to english wording explained?

Thanks again to both you and Z@T, great info!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Safari
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Safari
You asking me? If so, no..I go to Africa twice a year...I volunteer running a program in Uganda. I did do a safari in Kenya in 2009 and one in Uganda in 2010 though. As cool as they were, standing 20 feet from a 500lb gorilla in the middle of the Rwandan jungle was MUCH cooler!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post
Sorry, didn't realize you had not used NCS prior. Here are step by step directions:
Man, you were right on the money! Thanks a ton Jstic, worked like a charm! It was a lot easier than I thought.

Now to just find a German-Engish BMW translator so I can code other stuff!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #21
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The torrent finished just after midnight, took 14:15. It looks like there aren't any executable files, just a bunch of .appicon and .vm?? files, possibly for VMWare?

I'll try installing everything tomorrow.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #22
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

That's right. Once you get VMware running from the DIS disk, you will point it to the files on SSS. Just follow the video instructions, works fine.
Appreciate 0