ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Fixed Caster Plates

I want to be able to retain the OEM front top mounts of my Z4MC because I want to keep the rubber bushing, but want to increase the caster angle by a fixed amount.

For earlier models of BMW, you can do this with fixed plates, such as those in the photo below. To use these plates, you need to knock out the bolts in the OEM top mounts and fasten the plates to the OEM top mounts by inserting the bolts through the plates and tightening the nut on the underside of the top mount.

I haven't been able to source anything like this for the the Z4MC and so I'm wanting to make a pair of plates myself.

I've already fitted aftermarket suspension on my car, but I can't remember from when I did this job, if I remove the bolts from the OEM top mounts, if there will be any room to fix the nuts on the underside of the top mount, or if the spring perch fits inside the galvanised top mount, as in my photo below.

I would be most grateful if someone could tell me if there's sufficient room for three nuts on the underside of the top mount when the spring perch is assembled, or take a couple of photos showing the layout of the parts. If it's not possible to reattach the bolts, I would leave the existing bolts in place and cut them flush with my caster plates and weld them onto the caster plates and also weld the top mounts to the casterplates around the perimeter of the top mounts.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

great idea!
Ill see if I can get to my old struts (stored) to have a look.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
great idea!
Ill see if I can get to my old struts (stored) to have a look.
I'd appreciate that.

The Z3MC has a caster angle of around 9 degrees but the Z4MC it's about 5.5 degrees.

I've made a template to move the top of the strut of the Z4MC by about 20mm, which I reckon should increase the caster by about 2 degrees. If I can bolt my caster plates onto the OEM top mounts, it should be possible to make the caster adjustment variable.

Appreciate 0