ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
liamduong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M

Weird rear camber?

Went to Les Schwab to get an alignment. They told me they can't do the alignment for the rear because it requires a special tool. The tool in question has a part #323030. So, I told them to just do the front. I was looking at the print out measurement sheet that they gave me. The left rear has a camber of -2.4 and the right rear has a camber of -2.1. Now, is that possible without camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Camber plates for the front suspension only. You could have that much negative camber in the rear, if the car is lowered (springs, coil kit) or somebody installed adjustable control arms (unlikely).

The other option is that Les Schwab does not know what they're doing. If you stand behind a car you should be able to "see" that much negative camber at 10 to 20 feet. Take a picture from that angle and posted here. Since you don't have anything to compare to I can compare it to mine and see if it looks like there's more.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

I can't see why an alignment shop can't adjust rear camber without a special tool. I've done my own geometry on my Z4MC and to adjust rear camber you need to adjust the eccentric bolt, Part 10 in the diagram below. Adjustment also affects toe as well, but since the Z4M already has a lot of toe-in at the rear, IMO, reducing -ve camber and toe-in is not a bad thing.

If you reduce the rear camber and then want to adjust rear toe on its own, you need to adjust it by moving Part 17, after slackening off the three retaining bolts.

As Finnegan says, lowering the car will increase negative camber and toe-in.

This isn't difficult to do.

Appreciate 0