ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
bbiess
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Help with purchasing an 'si'

Hi everyone. I'm brand-new to the group and while I don't own a Z4 yet, I'm hoping to very soon. I'm looking for an '06 / '07 3.0si and have found a couple here in the Midwest, but have a couple of questions I'm hoping to get some clarification on.

One of the cars I've found (an '06) has aluminum dash inserts, which is what I prefer. The other car (an '07) has wood inserts. Other than the dash panels, both seem identically equipped. So here's my question - Was there an option package that specified what went into the dash? Are there other features/options that are different in either car? If there was an option package that included it is the general consensus that is was more or less desirable / valuable to have in the car?

If I opted for the '07 with the wood panels what's the cost and level of effort associated with swapping them over to aluminum....or even better carbon fiber (does anyone have a source for these)?

Having just sold my hot little '87 325is I'm very interested in getting another BMW into my garage and am hoping that a Z4 will be there soon. Any info is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I can see that the car with the red seats has power seats, but I can't tell about the other car with the silver trim. Folks really like power seats because of the memory feature that returns the seat to where you had it.

the car with teh silver trim has the Sport button to the left of the gearshift; don't know about the other car.

If yo are wondering if either car has bluetooth, just press the R/T button on the steering wheel while the car is running. The radio display should change to "Searching.....", meaning that its looking for your cell phone to pair with.

It looks like both cars are manual shift, with power tops and heated seats, if I am seeing the little buttons correctly.

It looks like the black car with red seats has the very nice Style 108 18 inch rims too.

Have you got more pics and details??

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-07-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
bbiess
Private
Rep

thanks for the reply. Both cars have memory and heated seats, both have power tops, both have blue tooth, both are si's so they both have the sport button as well. Both have the same wheels and right around the same mileage (~38K) ....which is why I'm confused.

Did the original owner of the black Z4 simply opt for that wood dash, or was it part of a trim package that also added additional options/features?

Silver '06

Black '07
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wood, CF, aluminum were all options. Not tied to a trim level. Singular option.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Also easily interchangeable and pretty cheap to convert from one to the other
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

the 07 should have the aux input just above the center console just out out eye sight. Do both have BMW assist? On the center console between the seats the should have a pocket or a pannel with 2 buttons?
      06-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Finnegan is correct: the interior trim was one of many options. Wood trim didn't include other features that the silver car with aluminum trim would not have.

It is possible to get an SI without the Sport button; my buddy has a 2008 like that.

If you're asking me, I like the black with red interior - very striking. Batmobile-ish even. You can practice saying "atomic batteries to power - turbines to speed!" after you start the engine!

Nanananana..........

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Deep Z4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Black 07 hands down. The imola red with black looks hawt!! You can always change the trim or carbon fibre it...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I don't have any problem with the wood trim in the black car. I think it looks good.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
bbiess
Private
Rep

Okay - so it sounds like the the wood dash (blek, btw) wasn't part of some option package that included other goodies and that the original owner simply opted for it over aluminum.

One more decision: Is the identically equipped '07 (with essentially the same mileage as the '06) worth the extra $2K?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Possibly. Here's why.

The 2007 car will have an updated steering mechanism that is not prone to being sticky in extremely warm climates or temperatures. Although my 06 has never exhibited that, it has plagued some folks who find it very troubling. If the 06 was built in July 2006 or later, it should have the newer trouble-free steering assembly. So, you could buy that car and save the Two Grand. You could take $500 of that and have a nice BMW OEM hard wind deflector installed (see pic at link below), another $800 or so for nice non-runflat tires like the Hankook V12, and still be in about $700 over the 2007.

The 2007 is a model year newer. Also, it has the built in Auxiliary input for the stereo; you would have to install one yourself on the 2006 if you want to use an external device like an iPod or MP3 player. But I'm told its not a big deal.

Why the hate on for the wood trim? I expect it has to be more durable than the brushed aluminum trim, which is EXTREMELY prone to scratches. My car has it and I have to be very careful with it. Just ask anybody here about how easy it scratches.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/picture....ictureid=37833

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-08-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
bbiess
Private
Rep

Great info. Thanks Huz-Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
As noted, the trim was a stand alone no-cost option specified by the original owner or dealer who ordered the car; Aluminum, light or dark poplar were the standard choices, IIRC, while the M's had a different wood along with carbon fiber options in addition to the aluminum, so there are several different types of trim floating around out there.

The sport button was part of the sport package that also included the 18" staggered wheel/tires and different suspension settings; the non-sport si had a 17" non-staggered setup.

The 07s had TPMS sensors in the wheels for tire pressure monitoring while the 06s had no sensors and used differential rotation off the ABS sensors for monitoring tire pressures.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
bbiess
Private
Rep

It looks like my decision may have been made a bit easier, although I'm fuming about it. Using a credit card I had a hold on the Silver '06 (still my first choice) that was being sold by Luxury Imports in Parma, OH. I had intended to rent a car this week, drive down, test drive it, get a PPI at BMW Cleveland and assuming everything checked-out drive it back.

I got an email from the Sales Rep I've working with at about 11PM the night before the day I was going to make the trip indicating the 'car had been vandalized' and that I shouldn't come down. I called the next morning to follow-up and never received a call back. Sent an email, but never heard anything back. Called two more times - still no returned call.

I'm assuming at this point that the car was never vandalized and that they simply sold out from under me and I'm both disappointed and quite frankly pissed. Don't get me wrong - I totally understand that if someone walks into your showroom waving $20+K around you probably want to take it, but not checking with a potential buyer who you worked with for 2 weeks is really shitty.

So I need to seriously consider the black one - or - try to find another '06/'07 Silver Z4 3.0si with 3X,000 miles on it with a clean service history, either a black or red interior, 18" wheels that located with 250 miles of Dearborn, MI. Sounds like I will be waiting for a while.

Luxury Imports sells a fair number of BMWs, so be very wary if you cross paths with them. They've proven to be horribly unprofessional and have demonstrated outrageously poor customer service. Ass-Clowns!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Man, that stinks! Folks around here have long memories, so it's not like that kind of treatment will go unnoticed.

Good luck on the next phase of the hunt.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

As you had money on the 06, tell them you'll have the 07 for the price of the 06.

Remember, once the car is in your hands, it doesn't matter if the seller was the biggest arsehole on the planet, you'll have your car.

Color is A highly personal choice. For me, I like sports cars to have bold, attention getting colors, hence my Montego Blue. I've seen a black SI in my town and it certainly is a head turner.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-08-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0