ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

Rocker Panel Clear Bra

I am getting my rocker panels repainted due to neighbors kid dragging his scooter down the side of it and leaving a nice big scratch. Been wanting to get them repainted anyway due to the many chips in the area in front of the rear wheel. Was thinking of putting a clear bra on that area also. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on that? And can that be done immediately after repainting or should I wait to install the clear bra after the paint has cured for some period?
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
NYZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM BMW Z4

Not to highjack your post or anything but i'm also interested in people's opinions and experiences with clear bra's. My aero bumper and side skirts were just shipped today and i'd like to keep them protected especially after seeing all the rock chips my original bumper has gotten.
2007 BMW Z4 3.0i. Supersprint powerloop exhaust and center pipe, Aero bumper (w/ clear bra) and side skirts, Avant Garde 19 inch M310's, Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Tekarbon carbon fiber side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

i have them on my 05 tsx, its been 7 years, the bra is all scratch up, they're pretty cheap now.. i may or may not replace it.. who knows... have them on the z4 also, dont drive it as much so it still looks new
      04-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

My shop recommended waiting i think it was 30 days before putting on the bra, so the paint can properly cure. My only advice is find an expert to do it for you, so you can get it done custom. The difference between a "kit" and someone that knows what they're doing is night and day: all the edges neatly folded under (versus lines everywhere).
      04-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

My 06 came with it from factory it seems to have saved the front bumper from quite a few scraps however it spent 4 years in Texas and it shows, the color is yellowed and likely due for a replacement.

For OP, I went to my tint guy yesterday and told me about his personal car. He put a vinyl on the paint temporarily months after it was cured but the car that had not been repainted properly (they did not sand down to primer or metal, they just painted over existing paint) once he lifted the vinyl the paint came off with the vinyl.

From what he said is most paint shops don't bake the paint on the car or prep the car properly which leads to not having a strong similar to oem finish.

edit: in response to beta, he is right those who have the kit (which i have) will show more than those who wrap the whole body panel and wrap around the edges. There are also different thicknesses depending on what your installer may have.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
NYZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM BMW Z4

Great info guys. I'm my bumper and skirts painted from a very reputable shop here on Long Island who have worked on everything from lambo, aston martins, and bentleys and they use the 3m clear bra so I'm pretty confident they'll do a great job on it. I'm guessing its around $600 to have the clear bra installed on the bumper and side skirts or am I way off?
2007 BMW Z4 3.0i. Supersprint powerloop exhaust and center pipe, Aero bumper (w/ clear bra) and side skirts, Avant Garde 19 inch M310's, Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Tekarbon carbon fiber side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Just had it put on my 2012 35is. Got the whole front end, lights, up the hood 18", door cups, 'A' pillars, door edges, and certain areas of the trunk done for $600. Didn't think I really needed it on the rocker panels. (They really don't stick out at all on this car). If I notice that I am getting dings, it will cost another $70 to do them.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Have the whole front of my Z4, entire bonnet [no line 1/3 up] , and side rockers. Four years now with 3M and love it. Has not yellowed, and if fed and kept clean it polishes nicely. I do not use Carnuba on the 3M but poly waxes. Had a fine high end shop here that I trust in St.Louis area, and its immaculate after all the back roads and highway driving. Looks like new. One of the best investments I have made on the car..IMHO...others might differe, but we are VERY pleased.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I did hood, fenders, mirrors, wheel wells on front and rear of all 4 corners. The car still has to go back to do the bumper...but it will soon be taken care of.

Pictures are cell phone, no edits.

This is ventureshield. I worked with the guy who did it for me for 4 years. We wrapped everything. There are no cut lines along bodylines. I love it.

When I bought my car it came with 3M on the car. It was yellow and it sucked, I stripped it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
OP, i've been told from numerous places to wait 90 days for the paint to fully cure before wrapping it or even putting a car cover over it. The shop I used recently for a front respray has BMW-NA's corp fleet contract here in North NJ, he knows bmw's better than most if not all. He said 90 days as well.

I am about to do some clear covering, as for brand, tough call - but Kgolf31 sure keeps a tight car and seems to have a lot of experience with this stuff, so i'm going to check out that venture shield now too as an alt to 3M (and i do trust 3M).
      04-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

I've also got in on whole hood, bumper, lights and rockers for ~3 years now. We used 3M ventureShield. Cost then was ~$400 due to large piece for hood. Looks great with a bit of wax on it; nearly unnoticeable on a BSM car. Highly recommend it to fend off rock chips, bugs and bird dirt.

IMHO, the Pros:
[1] it really works.
[2] Looks invisible when waxed.
[3] Cheaper than re-spraying the bumper.
[4] Reduces detail time because you only need to spray-wax (not buff) the hood, bumper and other covered areas. I like the Hydro spray wax but any would do fine.

The Cons:
[1] Material scuffs easily, and scuffs (micro-abrasions) don't come out. You have to replace the piece. I redo the Driver's side rocker probably every year at a cost of around $100 because of heel-marks (me, my mechanics & the detailer shop)

[2] It can fade/yellow over time. Visible on a light-colored car, presumably. I wouldn't know

Yes, I would buy it again on another car with an expensive paint job and/or low nose. FYI I had the mirror housings done also, but the material whistled loudly at speed (go figure.) Pulled it off, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post

This is ventureshield. I worked with the guy who did it for me for 4 years. We wrapped everything. There are no cut lines along bodylines. I love it.

When I bought my car it came with 3M on the car. It was yellow and it sucked, I stripped it.
They both will yellow with age - all plastics do. I've had both, and they're very similar. Earlier version 3M may have yellowed more, but the new stuff is all the same.
One month is the recommended wait-time after fresh paint.

Last edited by johanness; 04-29-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclem05 View Post
We used 3M ventureShield.
so 3M makes venture... ha - hadn't looked into yet.
      04-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The yellowing comes from using a yellow colored wax. Caranuba or synthetic, it does not matter.

Use a white colored wax on the film and the yellowing will go away or never occur.

I had the entire front end and both side skirts covered in 3M. Before I had to take the film off (for another reason) I had some minor yellowing after about two years. I changed waxes and they yellowing went away.
Appreciate 0