BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
tweeker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Future Owner

Xenons?

I found a 128i that has everything I want except the Xenon's. I just realized this after I got home and was looking at the specs.

Can the dealer install these? Is there anything to be done? Or am I stuck with the halogens?

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Boost-Ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 Super White Toyota Supra

You have three options:

1. Find a set of OEM HID headlight housings and replace your halogen housings. This is very expensive (as dealers charge a high amount for headlights, the HID bulb, and HID ballast).

2. Get a plug & play kit. The 1-series, I believe uses a H7 series bulb, so you can buy a plug and play kit which replaces the stock bulb with a HID bulb made to fit the H7 socket. The downsides are that many of the plug & play kits are not nearly reliable as an OEM setup and since you're still using a halogen housing, the light produced is not as nearly focused (nor as sharp) as a true HID projector housing.

3. Retrofitting a set of true HID projectors from another car (Acura TSX and Honda S2000 are popular options) is an option. It can get pricey and is not a DIY project. The benefit is a true HID projector and it's still cheaper than any OEM setup (as stated in the 1st option).

Just my big 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost-Ed View Post
You have three options:
2. Get a plug & play kit. The 1-series, I believe uses a H7 series bulb, so you can buy a plug and play kit which replaces the stock bulb with a HID bulb made to fit the H7 socket. The downsides are that many of the plug & play kits are not nearly reliable as an OEM setup and since you're still using a halogen housing, the light produced is not as nearly focused (nor as sharp) as a true HID projector housing.
Note it is illegal to have HID headlights in reflectors.

Just in case you don't know what reflectors or projectors are. This picture shows the difference. The left light is halogen, and the right is HID.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
It is also illegal to have HID even in projectors if you don't have auto leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post

Just in case you don't know what reflectors or projectors are. This picture shows the difference. The left light is halogen, and the right is HID.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Boost-Ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 Super White Toyota Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post

No biggie....

I know the difference between a reflector and a projector.

I know too the difference between a halogen projector and a HID projector, with the HID projector having a sharper cutoff to reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
It is also illegal to have HID even in projectors if you don't have auto leveling.
Are you sure?

My old 2004 Acura TL with factory HID’s did not have an auto-leveing, nor did my friend’s 2005 TSX.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

There's some misinformation in this thread.

First, it is not illegal to have HIDs in a reflector headlamp. Some cars still come from the factory with reflector-based HID setups, though most have changed to projector-based headlamps. Now, HID retrofits are technically illegal in both reflector and projector headlights.

Second, in the U.S., it is not illegal to have HIDs without auto-leveling. Many cars still come with HIDs and without auto-leveling.

Third, there are a couple other options for fitting HIDs to a car that originally came without them. Namely, picking up a set of aftermarket DEPO lights (halogen projectors) and fitting a H7 HID kit, or swapping the projectors for actual HID ones like the FX-Rs that are popular with retrofitters. You can also pick up a set of the DEPOs pre-retrofitted from Umnitza, though quality on these has proven to be spotty at best per the reviews on this site and e90post. If you go the OEM route, the headlights can be had for a somewhat reasonable price, but there is coding involved, additional wiring that has to be run in the car, and you may need a new NFRM module.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
1er coupe
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe

I have bought everything needed for the OEM xenon conversion, installing in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!!! Sorting out HID angel eyes too.

If you get second hand units you can get the cost down to around £1250 including leveling system, labour, wiring, coding etc. Around $2000. This is the approach I have taken, took around 6 months to find all the parts!! Not bothering with xenon washers until they become an absolute legal necessity.

If you get brand new units the cost will be at least double. Each headlight costs £1000!! Thats including bulb and ballast. Not sure if you can get them cheaper in USA but they are notoriously VERY expensive.

I made a post over at babybmw about my progress...I will post photos during and after the install:

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34566

This is one of the second hand units I bought.....looks brand new!!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I stand corrected. AW128i is correct that auto leveling in HID is NOT required in the U.S. as that is only required by ECE regulation 48, which only applies to most European countries.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

As AW stated you have options, you are not 'stuck' with halogens. I went the oem route and bypassed the frm by placing capacitors between the harness and the headlight connection. There is a user on here (jori) who can supply the euro static housings with bulbs and ballasts for just over $900 for the set (brand new oem). Bought from him last year and could not be happier with the result (removing the bumper was a pita though).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Now see, I thought the bumper removal and reinstallation were the easy parts of the job. Removing the headlights can be a bit tricky, especially the two screws that are behind the bumper support. Luckily I had a 1/4" ratchet and an adapter for my Torx bits.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The headlights were a challenge, I stressed about the bumper b/c I was sure it would snap given the effort required. This forum made the whole process possible as a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Indeed, I had a couple moments when I was ready to give up, but I pushed through haha! I used a silicone spatula to separate the bumper clips that are near the outer edge of the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
Jori
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralPA E82 View Post
As AW stated you have options, you are not 'stuck' with halogens. I went the oem route and bypassed the frm by placing capacitors between the harness and the headlight connection. There is a user on here (jori) who can supply the euro static housings with bulbs and ballasts for just over $900 for the set (brand new oem). Bought from him last year and could not be happier with the result (removing the bumper was a pita though).

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
debadgedbmw1
BMW: intake,exhaust,strut bar,18''M1styl,CFspoiler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

Same situation ...factory halogen and after much thought and consideration, i figure its too costly and too much work to void my factory warranty. I guess ill have to live w the cheap bmw halogens
Appreciate 0