ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
What tool do I need to Reset Computer and Take Car Out of Transport Mode?

All the dealers near me are quoting me 200-300 bucks to frigging "reset" the computer to take the car out of "transport mode". I'm not stupid. I realize that this "work" is going to take the tech a few minutes to do and whamo, they just made $200-300.

I prefer to do things on my own. Can someone please let me know what tool I need to reset the computer? Is the the standard OBDII tool for all other cars, or is it something special for BMW's?

thanks,
sr
      03-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I'm guessing that your car is out of warranty--otherwise, they would probably do it for $0. So how does a car get INTO transport mode? Does this occur when you pull the battery out for the winter and then puts it back when spring comes and it's time to start driving the roadster?

As for your question, I don't think this can be cleared with a code reader that you can borrow from Autozone. However, if there is someone in your area with a Bavarian Technic tool or some other tool that can actually code your computer, I think these will take it out of transport mode.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

BavTechnic will take cars out of transport mode. Transport mode is usually caused by voltage problem events being logged in the car's computer. It's not something that can be reset with an Autozone tool. Those tools will only pull emissions related error codes.

Call another BMW dealer and tell them you just need 20min to take the car out of transport mode. You might want to approach them about your tick too. Even a dealer further away might be worth the drive to get stuff taken care of.

You could hunt all over ebay and assemble your own BMW console. It took me a couple cables and tons of hours to make all the registry settings, firewall, and .ini files work. There's no documentation since it's really pirated BMW software and if you're not VERY computer savy I wouldn't recommend it. If you were local I'd help.

-V
Appreciate 0