BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Brake Problem - Help

So I noticed today that my rear rotors have rust on the inside part (near hub) for about an inch, the rest is clean like normal. Obviously the brake pad is not being applied evenly to the surface of the rotor. Interestingly, this is on both rear brakes.

I do track the car and switch out pads, but these are the stock pads and have been in for months. The track pads don't seem to have any uneven wear.

Thoughts? I am concerned this is going to lead to new pads and rotors, dependent on how long this has been going on.

Maybe the calibers aren't sliding on the pins..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

I'd pull the wheels and investigate. Since you've swapped pads before, you know that the rear calipers are easy to swap/service. Take the pads out. Lube the sliding points on the pad backing plate w/some nice high-temp molybdenum lubricant. Also, lube the pins slightly and ensure they're installed correctly and tightened (sometimes I am in a rush and during a recheck I didn't tighten a pin properly, etc...so it happens).

The parking brake is internal to the hub, so should be no issues there w/regard to pad wear. Finally...post some photos so we can check out the issue. That always helps.

Good luck!
-Brian
Appreciate 0