ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
jpapanas
Rep
Drives: None

Clutch pedal freeplay on an M Coupe

I test drove an M Coupe for the first time this weekend. This 2007 Alpine White on Imola Red and Carbon Leather trim - beautiful combination - and even better in person...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...item4cfcfa6e60

Is the clutch pedal freeplay adjustable on these cars? This one had very little freeplay in the clutch pedal and the clutch didn't engage until the very top of the pedal travel. Is this normal?

Btw - this car is in amazing cosmetic condition for the mileage...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

There is a clutch pedal made by Mason engineering it runs for about 245.00 supposedly it removes the play at the cost of some further modification. I have yet to purchase this MOD...you can google for yourself and see if this product is to your liking.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
There is a clutch pedal made by Mason engineering it runs for about 245.00 supposedly it removes the play at the cost of some further modification. I have yet to purchase this MOD...you can google for yourself and see if this product is to your liking.
The RE bushings should also help

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu.../CLU-BUSH.html

But in terms of OP's question about engagement point, CDV + clutch stop should help.
      01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Just FYI, you should be able to knock $1-2K off that car. Even with CPO, thats a bit high for 48K. Usually 30K miles or less is over $30K
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
The RE bushings should also help

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu.../CLU-BUSH.html

But in terms of OP's question about engagement point, CDV + clutch stop should help.
Polurethane motor mounts too...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
bluecobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

So there is no real way to adjust the clutch engagement point ??

My 2006 M Coupe has a lightweight J&B flywheel and a J&B clutch. The engagement is about 1/2 inch off the floor. It has been difficult to get adjusted to.....any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
According to the service manual, the clutch engagement point is self-adjusted due to the hydraulic nature of the clutch. A clutch stop will let you make it feel less long though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
So there is no real way to adjust the clutch engagement point ??

My 2006 M Coupe has a lightweight J&B flywheel and a J&B clutch. The engagement is about 1/2 inch off the floor. It has been difficult to get adjusted to.....any ideas?
Many of us use adjustable clutch stops. You can make your own hitting the local home depot for few bucks or buy one for about $10 shipped. Just make sure it says z4 specific as other models may not work. It's been discussed a lot, do a search and you'll see which are the "approved" ones. I first had an eBay one, worked great 90% of the time but swapped after a hot summer day at VIR (over 100 degrees) where the car wouldn't want to start unless I really stomped on the pedal. Not a big deal.... I ended up getting the Rogue Engineering one and asked them to trim off a piece. Don't recall the exact measurement but again, it's mentioned somewhere here.
      01-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
jpapanas
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks for all the advice...

I think the CDV and the engagement point being right at the top of the pedal travel made it difficult to get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd
- as described here: Theory of Operation - what is a CDV?.

I'm going to have to drive another one to see if it feels the same - otherwise i'm going to have to factor in a new clutch pedal, clutch stop and/or modified CDV - if i continue my search for an M Coupe...

Last edited by jpapanas; 01-11-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

If you drive different cars you'll probably get a mix of cars with the CDV intact and a lot with the Zeckhausen CDV (which is a "stealth" CDV delete). This is a popular mod, and I'd expect it would be there on a lot of cars. Really no reason to remove it when you sell.

Also, I've found things can be jerky going 1st to 2nd if the revs drop too much while shifting. You can try to smooth things out by keeping the revs close to where they'll end up once the next gear is fully engaged. Do that by feeding in a bit of throttle when upshifting rather than letting off the throttle completely. (Assuming you're doing that.) It's sort of an upshift "heel/toe" thing.

And yes, the CDV can, IMO, help with this. (<-Too camps on this, those that see no difference and think stock is fine; those that can't stand the CDV.) Clutch pedal stop doesn't change anything, but means there's less "throw" from disengaged to engaged and a lot of folks like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The CDV will not make the shift any easier. The only thing it does is allow you to take the clutch out quicker. If you release the clutch slowly there's no difference between having and not having the CDV.

All the CDV does is force the fluid to be released slowly, so if you let out the clutch quickly the clutch fluid still lets out gently.