BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Review: JRZ RS/Swift/Ground Control Suspension

Hey all. Here's a review that is a bit overdue as I had the kit for a little while, but got rid of some of it recently. Still, I figured I'd offer up my thoughts on it, since I'm not completely departing from the kit I have. I'm not techno geeky so I can't explain to you all the aspects of the whizz-bangery and my review may not be the best, but I can tell you that it worked well and I liked it so I hope that suffices. And if you guys do want all the techno-geeky details, email Toan@platteformeag.com, he's the one that built my kit.

But anyways, a few months ago, due to the increasing amount of track days I was attending, I was looking for a more track-dedicated suspension setup to move to. I had a talk with the shop that does most of the work on my car (Platte Forme a.g. as most know), and they recommended getting JRZ shocks with Swift springs and Ground Control camber plates and sway bar end links. This was really appealing to me, since all of the companies named are well known for their quality and performance, and all of them have great state-side support in some form, should a problem arise or parts need to be changed due to changing preferences.

We got the kit in, but as I was one of the very first to get the kit, we had some kit teething issues to deal with. Everything was promptly dealt with by PF and covered by JRZ. The information was relayed to JRZ, who made the necessary corrections for future kits.

I'm going to say my opinion of the comfort on the kit is kind of skewed, as the way my car sits is currently a bit uncomfortable. But I think my seats, the Recaro Pole Positions, are pretty uncomfortable, as the comfort level went down with just seats and Eibach springs on stock shocks. There's just a lot more feedback. From that baseline, I would say the setup made things noticeably firmer, but not all that much harsher.

The JRZ's have a good amount of noticeable adjustment to them. On their softest setting, they were soft and actually pretty bouncy, so a lot of spring movement, but on their stiffer settings, it would get really rock hard, and everything in between. Difference between rubbing on my R888's in the rear, and not being anywhere near rubbing ever. The setup functioned reasonably well on the street despite the stiff springs (and uncomfortable seats), and performed amazingly well on the track. Everything just felt so planted and in control, it gave me the confidence to push harder and harder. All in all, I was pleased with the kit.

So, if I was happy with the kit, then why change? Well, JRZ RS Pro's have external reservoirs for easier dampening adjustment and the option to adjust nitrogen pressures. The JRZ RS's come good for 1,000 pounds, and can be adjusted by JRZ to go higher, but with the external reservoirs, I don't have to send it in for such work. I'm keeping the springs and camber plates though, as I'm happy with them right now. All in all, good kit, I miiiiiiiight go with some Recaro Sportster CS's for a little less "because race car" on the streets when driven on occasion. Maybe. Or buy some memory foam pillows, that should work actually.

tl;dr for you - I haz kit. Kit is teh guud stuffzors. I likey, teh recommendy. Shorts enuff to understandy?

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-06-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Reserved for review by friend of mine that drove my car often and also wants to write a review.

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-06-2011 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Peter Griffin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice review. Seems like a solid purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

What spring rates were you running?
JRZs seem to be much more track oriented then other set ups, great shocks though.
      12-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
What spring rates were you running?
JRZs seem to be much more track oriented then other set ups, great shocks though.
Believe it was 600/900.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Yet you weren't ever that much faster than me in track times

I took a ride, they're stiff, and they handle well from what I could tell as a passenger.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Yet you weren't ever that much faster than me in track times

I took a ride, they're stiff, and they handle well from what I could tell as a passenger.
You're just too fast for everyone Sean. All Senna status on us.

I attribute a lot of the stiffness to the seats. I need to stop forgetting to buy memory foam pillows for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
You're just too fast for everyone Sean. All Senna status on us.

I attribute a lot of the stiffness to the seats. I need to stop forgetting to buy memory foam pillows for them.
Haha I wish I was fast. It's all in the tires.
Ricky is the one who is really fast.

Memory foam! get themmmm
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

LateBraking - have you installed the RS Pro dampers yet? How do they compare to the RS dampers?

How difficult was it to mount the rear remote reservoir inside the car? Do the reservoirs come with quick disconnect fittings? What's the max-min pressure range of the reservoirs?

When adjusting the reservoir Nitrogen pressure does the suspension have to be unloaded (full droop)?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #11
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing! I have been waiting to hear some feedback on the JRZs for quite some time! I am actually considering JRZ RS1 for my E46 M3 to keep things on the lower cost, simple, and daily driver friendly.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
good read.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
LateBraking - have you installed the RS Pro dampers yet? How do they compare to the RS dampers?

How difficult was it to mount the rear remote reservoir inside the car? Do the reservoirs come with quick disconnect fittings? What's the max-min pressure range of the reservoirs?

When adjusting the reservoir Nitrogen pressure does the suspension have to be unloaded (full droop)?
Hey dbarnes,

The RS Pro's haven't arrived from Holland yet. The wait game. Fun game.

Preliminarily, I will be mounting the rear remote reservoir on my Cusco rear support bar. Here's the only shot I could find of it, but it just bolts on in the back right behind the rear seats.

I am getting quick disconnect fittings for mine. As for the pressure range, I will get back to you on that (if I remember, everyone knows how terrible of a memory I possess).
Appreciate 0