XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Shopping for X5M - questions

I am considering returning to a BMW family after an 8-yr break and looking at X5M. I have a few questions:

1. Why is there a spare tire option if the vehicle comes with run-flat tires?

2. Is there a way to order the vehicle with all-season tires instead of summer tires? If so, does it cost extra?

3. I see members here ordering various BMW wheels with their vehicle. Where can I see the entire selection?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
E53is
Rep
Drives: 11'X5M.03'X5 4.6is,05'viper

-runflats only last so long "flat" or perhaps long distance travel.. i had a tire blow out and only make it about 20 miles, i believe they are good for "200"

-you would have to ask your dealer, i didnt have that option for mine. there is a winter set of tires and rims for the x5m ( about 4k and order before you see snow!)

- grab a bmw x5 accessories catalog at your dealer or build one online.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
E53is
Rep
Drives: 11'X5M.03'X5 4.6is,05'viper

get the comfort seats! far better than the sports (ive had both)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E53is View Post
get the comfort seats! far better than the sports (ive had both)
Yes the active ventilated ones.

Also purchase 22" aftermarket wheels for this beast. 21" seem smallish.

The summers on the 20" are ok, forget all seasons if you are driving on the track or aggressively
      07-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

X5M

This a dealer option ($150 for the tire only - still need a jack). The well is already there - just empty. I plan to replace the RFT's with conventional's when they wear out. They're a harsh ride, and a potentially expensive one if you actually get a flat (they are not repairable, due to liability considerations).

2. Is there a way to order the vehicle with all-season tires instead of summer tires? If so, does it cost extra?
The dealers I spoke with would not entertain a change-out. When you buy the car, the OE tires are yours, and you can replace but you're stuck with the OE tires. Also, all-seasons in 20" low profile are still low profile, and really won't serve you well in the winter. The real solution to winter driving would be to get 19" wheels and tires for the winter.

3. I see members here ordering various BMW wheels with their vehicle. Where can I see the entire selection?
Don't know why you'd want to switch - the BMW rims are nice (albeit a chore to keep clean)!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek1 View Post
I am considering returning to a BMW family after an 8-yr break and looking at X5M. I have a few questions:

1) I'm not complaining. I love that they did. Gives us the option to switch out to non-runflats down the road without having a spare rolling around in the back.
2) On the regular X5's you can. I don't believe the //M X5's have that option. Just get another set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. I'd run 18's or 19's as your winter wheels.

3) It's in the BMW brochure if you want OEM BMW recommended ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby huey View Post
This a dealer option ($150 for the tire only - still need a jack). The well is already there - just empty. I plan to replace the RFT's with conventional's when they wear out. They're a harsh ride, and a potentially expensive one if you actually get a flat (they are not repairable, due to liability considerations).
This is not true, The spare tire option is a facotry option that comes with wheel tire and jack set for $150. If you do not opt for the spare tire option then to purchase you have to buy each piece seperately which I am trying to do now. Wheel looks to be about $335 and Tire is about $200 though I got a quote from Tire rack for $155. Then you need a jack and a lug wrench. Buy it when you order the car as its a deal at $150. for nothing else but piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

X5M Spare Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
This is not true, The spare tire option is a facotry option that comes with wheel tire and jack set for $150. If you do not opt for the spare tire option then to purchase you have to buy each piece seperately which I am trying to do now. Wheel looks to be about $335 and Tire is about $200 though I got a quote from Tire rack for $155. Then you need a jack and a lug wrench. Buy it when you order the car as its a deal at $150. for nothing else but piece of mind.
This is not true. Th local dealer parts dept. quoted me $150 for the spare only. It's a donut, but it's a spare. I'd say the above pricing reflects a replace-in-kind wheel and tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
This is not true. Th local dealer parts dept. quoted me $150 for the spare only. It's a donut, but it's a spare. I'd say the above pricing reflects a replace-in-kind wheel and tire.
I'm not calling you a liar, just trying to help you out so you don't go and order the wrong thing. Sorry but your dealer is mistaken and likely thinking of an ordinary E70. On all x6 and x5 it is a steel wheel and temp spare kit you get for $150 as an order option. The M's are different because the same steel wheel will not fit over the rotor's on the M not to mention the different hub size than an ordinary E70. It is still a $150 order option. The M spare option consists of a Continental temporary spare tire size 155/80 19 and a 19" by 5" alloy wheel. It is not a replacement wheel for the M as that would likely be $800 to $1000. The part numbers are below and there are several sites that you can go to see spec drawings of the parts.
the chepaest amount I have found is $155 for the tire from tire rack and $335 for the wheel from various dealers. You'll still need a lug wrench, jack and valve and valve stem then have the tire mounted.
36-12-0-418-846 Continental spare 155/80/19
36-11-6-775-450 Emergency wheel lightweight alloy.

Really only trying to help you out as I have spent some time researching exactly what this is at what is needed. Most the dealers without the part numbers know nothing about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

spare

Quote:
I made a mistake of not getting the spare tire option so had to pay $350 for the spare tire plus the jack.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

I plan to switch to non run flat all season.
Continental and Nitto both have performance all seasons in the M size.

That way, it reduces a ton of rotating mass. no need to swap wheels and tires for winter
As far as the spare. I have a spare MB airpump that i will leave in the truck when the regular tires go on. It comes with a can of sealant.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
The dealers I spoke with would not entertain a change-out. When you buy the car, the OE tires are yours, and you can replace but you're stuck with the OE tires. Also, all-seasons in 20" low profile are still low profile, and really won't serve you well in the winter. The real solution to winter driving would be to get 19" wheels and tires for the winter.
I know all about disadvantages of runflats. They are very harsh, noisy and very expensive - my current vehicle came with runflats stock (also 20" in size). I life in a high-rise building so I don't really have any space to keep an extra set of rims/tires, nor am I dying to spend over $2K on a set of winter tires and pay $150 every time I swap between summer and winter tires. Besides, I've had vehicles with 20" all-season rubber (my current one included) and it works relatively well in NYC winters. As a cherry on top, run flat tires have stiffer sidewalls, which actually enhances cornering.

Quote:
Don't know why you'd want to switch - the BMW rims are nice (albeit a chore to keep clean)!
I was really wondering about other OEM BMW wheels, not aftermarket wheels. I am not really crazy about the stock X5 M wheels and if nothing else I would order them in gunmetal gray instead of silver.
Appreciate 0