ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
thez4
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i Roadster

Z4 pads and rotors

The brake pad sensor light went off on my 06' z4 3.0i. I called a few places to check the prices and the general quote was around $700+ for the front pads and rotors and almost same for the rear ($150 for brake fluid change). I never did a brake pad change before and have a mileage of around 35K miles.

The guy mentioned that it is a must to change the rotors with the pads for a z4. Is this true?

Are the prices reasonable?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

"Must change the rotors with the pads...."

Uh, in one word, no. It's not required. The rotors need to be replaced if:
A. They are too worn (thin) and out of spec
B. They are warped and therefore out of spec
Did this "guy" actually measure the rotors or just say "gotta replace them"? If the later, I'd steer clear of that shop.

I don't know offhand what the specs are for your 06 Si. Someone may chime in with it, or you can search this site and/or Google it. Or you can look on the rotor itself. I'd get a measurement of where they are now and how they measure compared to minimum thickness specs. In lieu of that, if you go feel the edge of your rotor (make sure they're cool) and have a large ridge or lip, you may indeed need rotors. But I wouldn't spring for them w/o actual measurements.

Pads are pretty easy to do yourself, and there are several DIYs here (and lots of other places). A good set of street pads would set you back about ~150 bucks. Buy them yourself and have someone install them; or DIY and save.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I've seen Stoptech Street Performance pads for the 3.0si under $100 for all four corners at rockauto.com.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

just change the pads, i have a z4 m and I ran the original rotors until yesterday at 58k so yeah, dont bother with the rotors unless the rotors are extremely curved on the edges to the point where they catch your nail.....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
bimmerlike
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
"Must change the rotors with the pads...."

Uh, in one word, no. It's not required. The rotors need to be replaced if:
A. They are too worn (thin) and out of spec
B. They are warped and therefore out of spec
Did this "guy" actually measure the rotors or just say "gotta replace them"? If the later, I'd steer clear of that shop.

I don't know offhand what the specs are for your 06 Si. Someone may chime in with it, or you can search this site and/or Google it. Or you can look on the rotor itself. I'd get a measurement of where they are now and how they measure compared to minimum thickness specs. In lieu of that, if you go feel the edge of your rotor (make sure they're cool) and have a large ridge or lip, you may indeed need rotors. But I wouldn't spring for them w/o actual measurements.

Pads are pretty easy to do yourself, and there are several DIYs here (and lots of other places). A good set of street pads would set you back about ~150 bucks. Buy them yourself and have someone install them; or DIY and save.

for girls, it's also eazy to replace the pad?

haha~
Appreciate 0