BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

6NR Retrofit by BMW Dealers?

Has there been talk of allowing dealers to retrofit the 6NR software option on iDrives?

Last edited by Cars are the new horse; 02-09-2022 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Has there been talk of allowing dealers to retrofit the 6NR software option on 2011.5 (combox) iDrives? I'm baffled as to why they wouldn't allow it if it's just a software update, but the last I heard was that they had no plans to allow the retrofit.

I know that one of the vendors on the forum has the retrofit available, but I live in Texas and I'm not driving to Florida to have it done. I would also rather have it factory done -- I think I'm done with modding for a while.
One thing for sure... BMW already has the Combox Media OEM retrofit available in Europe, and in the USA Assist has been very cooperative in transferring TCU customer accounts to Combox Telematics although those Combox retrofits were not OEM.

So that tells me that the OEM 6NR retrofit could be available at dealers by fall as it is as simple as a CIC/Combox firmware update and the baseplate hardware. And even the baseplate can be bypassed with a 6FL trick, so if your have 6FL then only a firmware update will be needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition package

I have been reseaching this for a while. I have post september 2011 made M and I have the iphone cradle that I got originally on the car that does songs for the ipod and the art work and all however the office feature never worked due to iphone. And now no BMW app. However, the service manager at the local dealership has been talking to BMW and they said that there is a service bulletin on this and the new MEDIA cradle ($255) it seems to be the retrofit for cars post september. So he is ordering me one and I will have it tomorrow to switch the cradles and see what happens. Look the BMWUSA accessory and the cradles are listed =
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaghighi View Post
And now no BMW app. However, the service manager at the local dealership has been talking to BMW and they said that there is a service bulletin on this and the new MEDIA cradle ($255) it seems to be the retrofit for cars post september.
The new media cradle is not the retrofit for 6NR. This newer media cradle will not get you BMW apps in a pre-March 2011 car. Your choices are a third party retrofit or wait and see if BMW offers one, which is doubtful based on the past.
      05-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have been reseaching this for a while. I have post september 2011 made M and I have the iphone cradle that I got originally on the car that does songs for the ipod and the art work and all however the office feature never worked due to iphone. And now no BMW app. However, the service manager at the local dealership has been talking to BMW and they said that there is a service bulletin on this and the new MEDIA cradle ($255) it seems to be the retrofit for cars post september. So he is ordering me one and I will have it tomorrow to switch the cradles and see what happens. Look the BMWUSA accessory and the cradles are listed =
Service people really need to start reading more carefully their own OEM documents and bulletins...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep

so i have the 2011.5 and the dealer swear that iphone media cradle was going to help me get my bmw app connect on the phone to work without the BMW APP feature on the car. And my car is post september production and only thing it did is the same thing as my current cradle does. Art work and play music that is it. it makes no sense then why media cradle vs video only cradle and both will do the same thing on my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
so i have the 2011.5 and the dealer swear that iphone media cradle was going to help me get my bmw app connect on the phone to work without the BMW APP feature on the car. And my car is post september production and only thing it did is the same thing as my current cradle does. Art work and play music that is it. it makes no sense then why media cradle vs video only cradle and both will do the same thing on my car.
What makes no sense is the several threads in this very forum discussing this 6NR option and you just go to the dealer to waste your money.

First... there is no 6NR option in your car just because that option was not available when you bought your car. Second, the video cradle is for 6NR. Third, BMW Apps is 6NR.

Sorry to be this blunt, but something is not quite well with so many forum members spending at least $60000 in a car -which tells me that somehow there must be some professional level education and success somewhere to afford this car- but incapable of a simple research on their own cars before going to the dealer.

Last edited by Technic; 05-16-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep

fully loaded convertible is 83k and not 60k first of all, second I didnt run over there for that just like that. The actual service manager investigated this!! and called back and said that is what BMW told him base on my vin number and said to try the media cradle. Eventhough, I knew what to think of that suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
fully loaded convertible is 83k and not 60k first of all, second I didnt run over there for that just like that. The actual service manager investigated this!! and called back and said that is what BMW told him base on my vin number and said to try the media cradle. Eventhough, I knew what to think of that suggestion.
Well, the service manager was wrong way before you went to that dealership.

All the 6NR information (including cradle P/N and which one does what) was posted in this forum as early as January 7th -all 11 pages of it- so regardless if you spent $60K or $83K the point is still the same... there's no substitute for searching before going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0