BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

05-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Detail Shop Left Swirls and Fine Scratches: Help

So I had a door repainted under insurance due to a little garage incident. I paid the shop $100 for a wheel polish and wax. This is a very reputable shop which is BMW certified and the only place my dealer recommends.

So I get the car back, and there's swirl marks and very fine scratches - like tiny spiderwebs all over the car. I have them redo it. Its 80% better, however washed the car today and there's still a bunch of swirl marks and tiny scratches in the direct sunlight.

My car is Jerez Black.

These scrataches were not there for the past 2.5 years I owned the car and only used Zaino. I only hand washed and waxed.

Is this reasonable? What can I expect if they redo it? Am I being too picky?

Will it go away?

HELP. I hate to go back to that place again. Maybe this is how it is.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Sorry to hear about the crappy experience man.

I think you went to a autobody/paint shop that also had "detailing" as additional services but really didn't have professional detailing services.

You're definitely not being picky and you could go back and complain again, but if they weren't able to fix it the first time you complained, chances are they don't know how to really correct paint or they just don't care about your business.

The swirls will not magically go away over time - they will actually naturally get worse as with any car.

If I were you, I'd polish and remove the swirls myself. Or if you're not comfortable with that stuff, look for a real detailer. And by real detailer, I don't mean going to your local car wash shop and signing up for their $75 ultimate wax package that's done while you wait. Do a search in these forums for recommended pro detailers in your area. A pro detailer will be able to tell you how much work is needed to remove the swirls/scratches and then work with you to fit something in your budget. It won't necessarily be low cost and your car might be gone for a day or two, but your car's paint will probably look better than when you first rolled it off the lot.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

+1

You need 'Paint Correction'... I just did this on my car and it took forever. Something like this could cost you anywhere from 600 to well over a grand to have done by a pro. At least in my area.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Bottom dollar can often result in bottom tier work. The dealership recommending them means nothing as the dealership only knows how to sell cars: not how to care for them in a swirl-free manner.

The type of place the can truly eliminate swirls and leave you with a better-than-new finish is going to cost a lot more than than $100 and the work is going to take a lot more time than they spent.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ugh. This is a professional collision shop. My service guy (who is usually great, known him for 10 years) said they are always top notch.

I wasnt trying to be cheap. You would think a 5 star collision shop could do a simple wax and polish?

Maybe I'll ask for my money back, then go to a professional detail shop. I want my car done right. I dont think they know what they're doing. I had it done twice. What's to think they will get it right on #3?

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
Ugh. This is a professional collision shop. My service guy (who is usually great, known him for 10 years) said they are always top notch.

I wasnt trying to be cheap. You would think a 5 star collision shop could do a simple wax and polish?

Maybe I'll ask for my money back, then go to a professional detail shop. I want my car done right. I dont think they know what they're doing. I had it done twice. What's to think they will get it right on #3?
EXACTLY. How many car guys do you know, and of those how many wash their car using the two-bucket method with Grit-Guards and use quality well-kept microfiber towels on their paint?

Collision shops specialize in a certain type of service. High-end detailers specialize in a completely different type of service.

Where in Michigan are you located?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
EXACTLY. How many car guys do you know, and of those how many wash their car using the two-bucket method with Grit-Guards and use quality well-kept microfiber towels on their paint?

Collision shops specialize in a certain type of service. High-end detailers specialize in a completely different type of service.

Where in Michigan are you located?
I'm in Bloomfield Hills.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

OP, just take it to MuttGrunt. Then you'll know what a professional detailer really means.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

+1

Body shops (even good ones) often think they 'get' detailing. Truth is, they usually aren't even close.
      05-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Good meeting you and your beautiful car today up here in the Traverse City area for the Spring Drive event OP. If you need any advice on the condition or would even like to learn about how you can potentially do this yourself if you're the DIYer type, feel free to contact me

-Marc
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

I hear way too much garbage about BMW this, and BMW recommends that...

Half of the stuff they say is completely inaccurate and they will say anything to get the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I hear way too much garbage about BMW this, and BMW recommends that...

Half of the stuff they say is completely inaccurate and they will say anything to get the money.
Kind of... keep in mind that part of the problem is they only know what the majority of the population knows: they're not professional detailers or even DIY enthusiasts (ever see cars at an auto show??).
While ignorance shouldn't be an excuse, very few people / companies / businesses know and understand what it takes for truly "perfect" paint, and even if they did, 99.99% of the population won't know the difference.

When every single cars that comes into a body shop has swirls and light scratches, how can they know the difference in what a gentle two-bucket wash with Grit guard inserts can do?

Installing swirls on a swirled car = completely unnoticed / unnoticeable
Installing swirls on a perfect car = easy to see the damage.
Appreciate 0