BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

03-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
RBR_630
Rep
Drives: '14 F30 Diesel

2007 Acura TSX: Getting Started

I want to start by saying this is the go-to thread for detailing/car care insight and knowledge. Being an M3 fan, I came by for some eyecandy but ended up with much more than that. All of you keep up the great work.

I own a 07 TSX and wanted remove some swirls as wells as turn the thing into that mirror finish so many of you achieve.

Right now I've got a Makita 9227c as my working tool as well as a set of Auto Magic Clay Magic Bars, Medium and fine grade. As well as their banana magic wax. I'm def gonna invest in sonax wheel cleaner, and zaino z10 for my leather... I was thinking of trying HD UNO and Poxy...

From what is shown in the pics below, what direction should I head to combat this:

Also, has anyone ever tried products from this company, I got them to send me samples after seeing a magazine ad:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by RBR_630; 03-15-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Title
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette

First off I would suggest getting a DA polisher unless you are well versed with a rotary. Chances are you will do more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing. I would pick up a Porter Cable or a Flex, the latter of which I use all the time.

Never heard of those products you've listed either but I can vouch for the excellent quality of HD Uno as well as HD Poxy. The beauty of UNO is that it acts as a compound and finishing polish, in effect, canceling the need for multiple products such as M105 followed by M205. You can use the same product, starting with a more aggressive pad, then stepping down to a finishing pad. HD Poxy has become my LSP (last step product) of choice because it is extremely easy to use, small amounts are needed, and it produces an absolutely incredible reflection. I apply it by machine (flex) on a black pad in a very thin coat, working it into the paint on low speed, let it haze over for 15-20 minutes and buff off by hand. It comes off extremely easy leaving no residue of any sort.

-Brian
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
RBR_630
Rep

Thanks alot for the info, really appreciate it. Turns out I've been following your work, especially the use of the HD stuff on the Space gray M3, a sedan and coupe I believe you did. Great stuff.

Question, what pads do you recommend for a job like mine, and would they work for my makita?

Also, based on my pics, would my level of work required be achieved by hand? If I did use HD uno and poxy?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
RBR_630
Rep

Oh when I meant which pads, maybe by brand.. I see uber is the choice of a few...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav_r View Post
Thanks alot for the info, really appreciate it. Turns out I've been following your work, especially the use of the HD stuff on the Space gray M3, a sedan and coupe I believe you did. Great stuff.

Question, what pads do you recommend for a job like mine, and would they work for my makita?

Also, based on my pics, would my level of work required be achieved by hand? If I did use HD uno and poxy?
Well as I said before, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a DA polisher unless you're already well versed with the rotary as you can do more harm than good. I've seen many people burn through their paint using a rotary not knowing what they're doing.

That being said, I'm a fan of the Lake Country CCS pads. I believe you can get them at any of the sponsored sites, I just normally buy all my stuff from Autogeek (although I get the HD products off Autopia.org's store)

I would pick up a yellow, orange, and white pad and that should take care of you. Start with the orange, and see where that gets you and if you still need more cut, then you can step it up to the yellow. After the majority of your swirling is gone you'll want to step down to the white pad and do a few passes to ensure you bring out the gloss, and to make sure any holograms are gone ESP if you're using a rotary.

The swirling shown in your pictures will need to be removed with a machine polisher. I wouldn't even waste one minute trying to remove them by hand.

Brian
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
RBR_630
Rep

thanks again for the tips man
Appreciate 0