BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Cquartz

has anyone tried CQuartz paint protection?
      02-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Yes, but don't expect a lot of answers as many of us that have are still testing it and learning about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

can anyone else using this product please chime in?
      04-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

bump
      04-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

What would you like to know?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

If anyone has tried it, there opinion on it,

- ease of application
- if need be, how to remove it,
- in general, are thee claims far fetched or are they realistic.
- does it bead like crazy, I just loves to see the hydrophobic reaction of water on Zymol concours wax
      04-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
If anyone has tried it, there opinion on it,

- ease of application
- if need be, how to remove it,
- in general, are thee claims far fetched or are they realistic.
- does it bead like crazy, I just loves to see the hydrophobic reaction of water on Zymol concours wax

-Mildly easy, needs to properly and thoroughly "dry" prior to buffing off
-Remove with Microfiber towels
-Still don't know yet
-No, but it seems to make the car cleaner longer and cleans easily as things don't stick as easily to the finish. Waxes seem to make the biggest difference in increasing surface tension (which leads to beading).

Keep in mind beading /= quality protection.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post

Keep in mind beading /= quality protection.
I know but I still like it.
      04-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I saw your thread about the Maserati (very nice work),

How would you compare gtechniq c1 and cquartz?
      04-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

C1 has a much simpler application and seems to have better initial slickness. Can't say much more - we haven't touched the Maserati since we worked on it. I'm hoping to give her a nice check-up to see how she's doing soon though.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
C1 has a much simpler application and seems to have better initial slickness. Can't say much more - we haven't touched the Maserati since we worked on it. I'm hoping to give her a nice check-up to see how she's doing soon though.
Do you have any updates as to the performance of C1 or Cquartz?

also, would you be able to supply me with C1 as most internet vendors don't carry it.
      05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

More of it being used on a GTI we recently posted online: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18392

I can't tell you all too much, but once I wash my test dummy (g/f's '07 Jet Black Saab 9-3) I should be able to tell you what I think so far as it'll be 6-8 months since it was applied. The Maserati Gran Turismo we used C1 on is still unknown as we haven't done any follow up on it at this time.

Here's some reading to help you out in the mean-time:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/profess...utolavish.html
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
More of it being used on a GTI we recently posted online: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18392

I can't tell you all too much, but once I wash my test dummy (g/f's '07 Jet Black Saab 9-3) I should be able to tell you what I think so far as it'll be 6-8 months since it was applied. The Maserati Gran Turismo we used C1 on is still unknown as we haven't done any follow up on it at this time.

thanks, I will be nice to know, I am looking forward to those new coatings, I have 4 cars, so the Carnauba routine can get a little old. I basically want something that bead like a carnauba but with the durability of a sealant. the beading helps make the washes and the drying easier.
      05-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

do you have any update on cquartz and c1 as dar as durability, ease of application and how easy it is to maintain the car? some people say nothing sticks to it, but can you really clean the road film with just water? it would be great but I doubt it!
      06-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #15
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do you have any update on cquartz and c1 as dar as durability, ease of application and how easy it is to maintain the car? some people say nothing sticks to it, but can you really clean the road film with just water? it would be great but I doubt it!
Yes I do have an update for you

So I washed my girlfriend's car not long ago to see how the CQuartz was doing, and I've found it to be non-existent. The paint is extremely contaminated (car does live outside, but a constantly protected surface doesn't feel like this 6-7 months later), does not bead water, has no slickness, and is missing gloss.
It's still swirl-free as it's only been washed 4 times since being properly prepped and has always been washed correctly by me, but the car feels brutal and I look forward to throwing something - ANYTHING on it soon. She's going to need a thorough wash, clay, light polish, and seal so I have to find the 5ish hours to get it all done. Also take into account it's only been washed with high quality stuff (Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo or Born to be Mild Shampoo) and I always dilute shampoos correctly. There's no way it should feel the way it does.

Keep in mind my initial review: this coating wasn't applied 100% correctly so that may affect things.

Still unsure about the C1: haven't touched the Maserati still.

Opti-Coat AKA Opti-Guard is confirmed by us (and others) as being legit and truly durable, but with the hardest application of them all. Because of it's outstanding durability, it's very important to do it right or you'll create permanent streaking that'll need to be polished off. You may want to look into something like the Opti-Coat 2.0 which is made with more / stronger solvents in order to be slower acting for the DIYer. http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-Coating-P554/

Still... careful as this isn't for someone that doesn't have good experience in detailing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

thanks for the update, I was leaning towards the C1, the application process seemed better suited to me and also the fact the you said it had a slicker feel to it. Also the fact that I'm impressed with their C5 wheels sealant which has seems to be unaffected by strong degreasers and wheel cleaners, as opposed to a wheels wax.
      06-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the update, I was leaning towards the C1, the application process seemed better suited to me and also the fact the you said it had a slicker feel to it. Also the fact that I'm impressed with their C5 wheels sealant which has seems to be unaffected by strong degreasers and wheel cleaners, as opposed to a wheels wax.
We've found that using a product like Reload in the application of Opti-Coat yields a result in slickness that is much like C1. Problem with C1 is that I'm still uncertain of it's durability. It might be legit, or it may be a let down like I've experienced with C-Quartz thus far.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

do you think using regularly reload on the saab would have helped cquartz last longer? or at least retain some beading and slickness?
      06-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

you may want to try Aquartz and follow with Aquartz Reload.

we have also had success with Opti Coat followed with Aquartz Reload for that slickness everyone wants.

Some cars we have done with Aquartz and Opti Coat

Lexus
Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do you think using regularly reload on the saab would have helped cquartz last longer? or at least retain some beading and slickness?
Potentially yes, but I wanted to truly test the product without interference. Reload does wonders for the application of Opti-Coat IME, but I didn't want to throw in another variable in this specific coating test. If I need a QD to keep up protection, then I'd rather go with a traditional sealant.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

so far all the coatings I have used provide little to no beading or slickness.

I have used

Nanolex
Opti Coat
Cquartz

However Aquartz does leave a very slick finish.

These coatings are ment to provide a more durable finish, protection against the elements but in no way will they be the miracle end all product.

Its not going to prevent swirls from happening or scratches.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
However Aquartz does leave a very slick finish.
isn't Aquartz the old version of Cquartz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post

These coatings are ment to provide a more durable finish, protection against the elements but in no way will they be the miracle end all product.

Its not going to prevent swirls from happening or scratches.
well this is casting a lot of doubt! I was interested in these coatings because of the claimed swirl resistance. do you guys think BFWD or powerlock maintained with reload or C2 would yield the same or better results than you've experienced?

also, is there something from Chemical guys that's like the Reload spray, ie. something that will give the finish slickness and will make it repel water better while being cheaper than reload?