BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

02-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Maintenance detail.

Hi experts;

I like to hear your suggestions for the least time consuming maintenance detail. Something that a normal busy person could do in the morning and still have time left for a Costco run, bike ride with the kids, bills, and cooking dinner for friends in the evening. Basically my Saturday.

I often avoid cleaning the car because it turns into a full day project.

Also opinions on hand car washes. How do I know once is better than the other?

Here is what I am thinking:

Exterior - every two weeks:
On the way home from work, stop at a manual car wash
Next day use spray on car wash to remove whatever they missed - 15 minutes
Spray on wax to hide little swirls and add a bit of shine - 45 minutes
Interior - alternate two weeks

Vacuum - 15 minutes
Windows - 15 minutes
Clean and condition leather - 15 minutes
Clean dash, interior panels - 15 minutes

I welcome product recommendations as well.
      02-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

So you're going to have a local place wash your car and you're trusting they're going to do it properly?

Keep in mind that depending on your vehicle size you can get a lot done in a shorter period of time depending on your experience. I can wash and quick detail my car in a little under an hour, to include cleaning the wheels and exhaust tips. Waxing takes an extra 30 or so minutes.
At the most, I'm looking around 2 hours a typical week. Even to give my seats a light cleaning and cleaning my windows is only a couple of extra hours per month.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
It takes me 2 hrs to wash the M thanks to ZCP wheels..... I also stagger what I do to the car like I will clean the leather every so often, do the windows from inside every so often & etc.

Car Wash I do myself since I am yet to find a good hand-wash place I can trust in Seattle area... There are some but you have to make an appoint & etc and they never seem to do as good of a job.

My maint detail usually includes a coat of Zaino Z-2 followed by Z-6 which adds 15 mins plus drying time to the washing process...

Once you get the initial main detail / protection out of the way, maint detail is easy. Make sure that your wash methods are correct so that you don't add swirls to your car each time you wash it.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Car Wash I do myself since I am yet to find a good hand-wash place I can trust in Seattle area... There are some but you have to make an appoint & etc and they never seem to do as good of a job.
Have you ever looking into Metropolitan Detail? http://www.metropolitandetail.com/

I know the head guy over there and they do some outstanding work. A rare shop in the nation that is known for doing volume AND quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Have you ever looking into Metropolitan Detail? http://www.metropolitandetail.com/

I know the head guy over there and they do some outstanding work. A rare shop in the nation that is known for doing volume AND quality.
Yes, I know about them.... They are one of the best for sure.

When it comes to detailing my car I do it myself just fine as I am a detail freak but when it comes to getting a quick hand wash on a sunny Sat morning they won't be able to get you in without an appointment (sunny Sat mornings are rare in Seattle ). They are great for detailing and I am sure their $50 car wash is outstanding but I am looking for a place where I can just drive up and get a good quality handwash. These places are dime a dozen in Cali but do not exist in Seattle area.....
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

hit up john for sure!!!! 100 per month for a quality car wash twice is WELL worth it to some...maybe try it out one time and see for yourself????

Weekly, I would ONR wash, exterior spray wax, interior vacuum, 303 protectant, and leather conditioner, windows, wheels, tires, door jambs...2 hours time.
Appreciate 0