BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
michelley91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 JetBlack

Question Dust on dark cars

Just out of curiosity for all you people who own a dark car...what could i do about the dust on the car the next day after washing/waxing? I'm sorry if this is a repost :P!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
With all the humidity in socal, I don't know what to suggest. It seems like 1-day dust is a norm, alas, for those of us with dark cars. (I was visiting last week.)

I've been going with a Zaino regimen so far (which has gorgeous results), but have yet to do the real orbital polish treatment to deal with the microswirls, waiting until the snow lets up for good and we get consistent warmer weather here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Try a good quick detailer when you dry your car after washing like fk 425. But that is part of the downside of owning a dark car is only looks really clean the day you wash it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Same problem here. Have only paid for hand wash since i got it. Have been using the California brush to clean the dust from the car.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

get a house duster and have it it on the car. it will remove the dust from your car just like dust from your house. It wont scratch, and works great! I use one when dusting a car after compounding and polishing all the time if I am not able to traditionally wash a car after the polishing work.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Zymol style duster or quick detailer
      02-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

swifter duster.. hmm might try that
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

I always just use one of those California dusters from Girots.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^I always use the Cali duster as well works great!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
get a house duster and have it it on the car. it will remove the dust from your car just like dust from your house. It wont scratch, and works great! I use one when dusting a car after compounding and polishing all the time if I am not able to traditionally wash a car after the polishing work.
It will scratch the car, no two ways about it.

Never wipe dust off a car, just wait until you wash it next.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep

really? glad you told me Eric i am going to stop this right away. So the CA dusters are a no go?

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
It will scratch the car, no two ways about it.

Never wipe dust off a car, just wait until you wash it next.
really? we are talking DUST that is not attached to the car, that can be blown off. The duster is so gentle, if you can scratch the car with it, you are using it wrong.

Califonia car duster will scratch the car no doubt, but a super soft (softer than any microfiber towel - which have a natural "grabbyness" to them) duster will do no harm...I am talking about the zymol duster, not at the $40 price tag it was advertised at, but rather the same one from OSH (local store here) that sells for 9 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
The duster is so gentle, if you can scratch the car with it, you are using it wrong.
You don't know what you're talking about. Regardless of the amount of pressure applied to the paint, a duster will scratch. You're compressing dust between two objects: paint and the duster. I would love to see your "technique" applied to a jet black car and see the affects after several months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
really? glad you told me Eric i am going to stop this right away. So the CA dusters are a no go?
Jim, buy a cheap air compressor and blow gun if you're looking to take dust off your car. It's strong enough to remove dust but touchless so no marring occurs:

http://www.amazon.com/Angled-Nozzle-.../dp/B000688JCW

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 02-27-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^on it right now! thanks Eric the CA duster is going in the trash tonight

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. Regardless of the amount of pressure applied to the paint, a duster will scratch. You're compressing dust between two objects: paint and the duster. I would love to see your "technique" applied to a jet black car and see the affects after several months.
I'll be sure to tell that to some of the other top detailers in the the country who use the same duster for cars before delivering them to their clients after the car sits around for a couple of days waiting for pickup! Guess they dont know what they are doing in the end, huh? LOL, how dare they be rated among the best in the industry!

Do you even realize what you just said? "no matter the pressure, a duster will scratch" - so if there is no pressure (which is how you use a duster) to "compress" the dust, then how is it harmful? explain that one...a wash is more invasive and uses more pressure than a duster will. you dont press down and scrub with a duster! The fibers in the duster are less aggressive/abrasive than those on microfiber towels and sheepskin/chenille/sponge wash media.

I would love to see the results of washing a car 20 times over 3 months vs washing it 10 times with daily dusting (not a california car duster as I have already stated, but a duster like the one phil sells...here Guaranteed less frequent washings will have less swirl marks covering the paint!

So yes, I do know what I am talking about! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
I'll be sure to tell that to some of the other top detailers in the the country who use the same duster for cars before delivering them to their clients after the car sits around for a couple of days waiting for pickup! Guess they dont know what they are doing in the end, huh? LOL, how dare they be rated among the best in the industry!

Do you even realize what you just said? "no matter the pressure, a duster will scratch" - so if there is no pressure (which is how you use a duster) to "compress" the dust, then how is it harmful? explain that one...a wash is more invasive and uses more pressure than a duster will. you dont press down and scrub with a duster! The fibers in the duster are less aggressive/abrasive than those on microfiber towels and sheepskin/chenille/sponge wash media.

I would love to see the results of washing a car 20 times over 3 months vs washing it 10 times with daily dusting (not a california car duster as I have already stated, but a duster like the one phil sells...here Guaranteed less frequent washings will have less swirl marks covering the paint!

You don't know what you're talking about. You've proven that in the time you've been on this forum. I don't care if "the most respected" detailers in the country use a duster. I've seen what they can do and I would never use one on either of my cars. To each their own though.

I've talked about this until I'm blue in the face on this forum, so I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

LOL, Ive never experienced the marring you are talking about, so apparently we have two total different experiences with it..."to each their own"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

At the risk of putting my nose in where it's not needed, perhaps the real answer to this question is region specific. I have a CA duster, but use it only very very sparingly here in Calgary Alberta. In the winter, our roads are littered with gravel (to aid traction in the snow), and even though the gravel is swept up in the spring, our roads are very dusty throughout the year.

I would concur that using a CA duster on dust originating from gravel/sand on the roads would cause scratching, albeit at a microscopic level. In other climates, the micro-marring might not be as prevalent...

Just a thought.

Asif
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

MOre importantly read through this thread
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=474666&page=2
Post #26 on..
      02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawedge2 View Post

MOre importantly read through this thread
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=474666&page=2
Post #26 on..
My point(s) exactly!

A
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
The only duster I've used before is the CA duster and it left light scratches on my car over time so I tossed mine out. The color of the car I used it on was black so it was noticeable. I'm sure on a lighter colored car it will be harder to see but from my experience the CA duster is a no go. I've never tried any other duster so I can't comment on those
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:

No, you don't know what you are talking about. Anyone that tells a person that it is ok to dust their car in between washing is totally clueless. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use any sort of duster or cloth on your paint in between washes period. the only time you should wipe down your car is after a wash, I even use a lubricant when drying to prevent scratches.

Oh yeah, as for "top detailers in the country", if I found out I paid good money for someone to detail my car and they used a duster on the paint dry after it sat around for a couple of days I would never employ their services again. In my book anyone that would do this is not a top detailer and is just doing it for the money because someone to do this takes no pride in their work, it is just wrong.

Just for your information, most dust is made up of silica and silica is an extremely hard substance and is used as a component in many abrasives. So do you think dragging silica across your paint which is effectively sandpaper is a good thing? No matter how little pressure I used I would never wipe my car down with sandpaper!

P.S.: I don't know of too many detailers that are much better than Eric (Eclipsis)..... his work speaks for itself!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 03-01-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0