BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

01-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

California Car Dusters

I have been using this duster for a while but just recently I started to wonder if the duster will leave scratches on the vehicle since it locks the dirt on it. The duster does hold on to dirt efficiently but I am just afraid that eventually that every fiber becomes a dust cluster and scratches the car badly...

Also, What about California Car Duster Company? Does it have any other efficient cleaning product? I have been looking for the best way to dry my car after wash, currently adopting the absorber, aka rubber cloth. not as absorbing as I imagine but I am sure it does not leave scratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
I have been using this duster for a while but just recently I started to wonder if the duster will leave scratches on the vehicle since it locks the dirt on it. The duster does hold on to dirt efficiently but I am just afraid that eventually that every fiber becomes a dust cluster and scratches the car badly...

Also, What about California Car Duster Company? Does it have any other efficient cleaning product? I have been looking for the best way to dry my car after wash, currently adopting the absorber, aka rubber cloth. not as absorbing as I imagine but I am sure it does not leave scratches.
You are right with your fears of the California Car Duster scratching your car. I'd stop using it now if I were you. It is not a good idea to run anything over the car dry when it is dusty. I'd recommend ONR or some kind of detailer spray and a microfibre if you must dust the car. To be honest I don't dust my car at all, I just leave the dust on my car until I wash it the next time. Dusting just leads to swirls and scratches IMO.

As for drying your car..... I'd get rid of the absorber and just start using microfibre towels. Wash the towels after every time you dry your car.......... using anything multiple times to dry the car like a chamois, absorber, etc. is also a recipe for scratches.
      01-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I'd toss the absorber and invest in some waffle weave drying towels to prevent scratching the paint when drying your car. The california duster works well in my opinion...the first time you use it when there's a thin layer of dust on your car and your car has been detailed recently. But I'm worried about the dust/dirt getting trapped in the hairs of the duster which will end up causing scratched to your paint.

I have a couple of these I use for my car.

http://detailaddict.com/microfiber/d...ber-towel.html
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

i highly doubt it would scratch the paint
      01-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^ Well I DON'T doubt it will scratch your paint. If there's nowhere for a dust/dirt particle to go, it is being trapped between your clear-coat and whatever you're using.
I completely agree with Nick of Detail Addict's comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I have one and have never used it because I cant see how it couldnt scratch. I'd rather leave it dusty and just wash it when I can.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

i have one and it has never scratched the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Yoyoman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3/E92 JB

Yes, it does scratch the paint, that why I have stopped using it. I live in a new subdivision, perhaps larger dust particles contributed to the scratches when I used it?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
M5280RCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT + some other stuff

CA duster works for me, probably dependent on the source of the dust (i.e how gritty it is"). Mine in garage is a light fine layer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
If your storing over the winter and it gets dusty just get a good car cover to put on it, Ive been using one for several years and when I take it off car is still shiny. If its during the summer though and has been sitting for a few days or weeks I usually just blow it off with a leaf blower

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Eliminator XP
Specializing in Fine Automobiles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3, 10 Jetta, 10 Mazda 3

Quote:
Don't do it.....it will do nothing but ultimately induce new scratches on your paint each and every time you use it!

I would save your duster for cleaning off the work bench!

Depending on how much fresh contaminants have settled on your vehicles paint work, you are better off using a mist and wipe or rinseless product on your vehicle. Performed regularly and properly this will leave awesome results with very little effort.

Quote:
IMO the best way to dry a vehicle after washing it is using an SM Arnold Water Sprite, those Absorbers are to rubbery and do not soak up the water very well as you stated... A premium quality MF towel works well, but will not have the life expectancy of the Water Sprite.

Last edited by Eliminator XP; 01-22-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

Looks like we have a bit debate over the CA duster.

Anyway, I appreciate all the inputs on cleaning/drying the car. I used to use the MF towel to do most of the cleaning & drying until I realize that the texture on the towel is somehow "harsh." I was using those yellow MF towels like the link below:

http://************/4tg3ohj

Or I was using the wrong MF towel?

I would also love to be educated about the pros and cons about absorbers. Besides the soaking capability which I have experienced myself, does it leave any scratch?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
SSaeliu
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MR M3, Maserati GT, 370z

Interesting..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Looks like we have a bit debate over the CA duster.

Anyway, I appreciate all the inputs on cleaning/drying the car. I used to use the MF towel to do most of the cleaning & drying until I realize that the texture on the towel is somehow "harsh." I was using those yellow MF towels like the link below:

http://************/4tg3ohj

Or I was using the wrong MF towel?

I would also love to be educated about the pros and cons about absorbers. Besides the soaking capability which I have experienced myself, does it leave any scratch?
Absorbers are much like car dusters or water blades / jelly blades: it's not the material they're made out of that will scratch, it's any particle that is trapped that can potentially cause damage.
Absorbers soak up a TON of water for their size, but they're construction means there is nowhere for a particle to go if trapped between the synthetic material and your paint. They only way to potentially use it in a safe manner is to blot dry. While blotting is the preferred safest method with all drying materials (one that aren't blowers or compressed air), it takes much longer and thus people aren't as likely to do it.

If you think you can remove a true 100% of particles when washing your car, then no problem. I'm not quite that bold however.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

Not a fan of the "Dust Mop". I've definitely seen it cause micro marring especially on soft paint like what is used on modern BMW's.
Whatever time you might save using one will come back on you big time when you have to do paint correction with a random orbital.

For dust free storage I've found nothing better than a Dustop car cover. I use one after detailing my car so that when I go to drive it for the first time after detailing it still looks perfect.

In between detailing I just let it get dirty/dusty, but I try to wash every weekend weather permitting.

For drying I start by sheeting most of the water off by flowing water straight from the end of the garden hose over the entire car working top down. Then I use a leaf blower to remove standing water from the wheel wells, wheels and nooks and crannies to help prevent hard water spotting.

I finish with a waffle weave microfiber cloth and a light touch, but a key tip here is to spritz each panel with whatever Quick Detail product you prefer (I use Zaino) to add some lubricant between the paint and the cloth.
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

What's an Arnold Water Sprite??
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
What's an Arnold Water Sprite??
Here ya go:

Arnold Water Sprite
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I have one and have never used it because I cant see how it couldnt scratch. I'd rather leave it dusty and just wash it when I can.
i have one and so far after 100 uses no scratches
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R A N D X® View Post
HaHa, c'mon man, i was being lazy!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #20