ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-08-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Best friends mom just backed into my car...

^^ as that says, she couldn't see my Black M behind her in her RX330. She backed up and hit the forward edge of the fender, bending it towards the headlight, also the bumper has been shoved down an inch. No paint damage though. Will post pics soon.

My worries aren't over the car, but that due to their financial situation they can't afford this in their lives.

On the bright side, Ive been planning on an Aero bumper anyway. So I'd only make her pay for the fender repair, any idea on $$$?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
JSH3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92 and 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
^^ as that says, she couldn't see my Black M behind her in her RX330. She backed up and hit the forward edge of the fender, bending it towards the headlight, also the bumper has been shoved down an inch. No paint damage though. Will post pics soon.

My worries aren't over the car, but that due to their financial situation they can't afford this in their lives.

On the bright side, Ive been planning on an Aero bumper anyway. So I'd only make her pay for the fender repair, any idea on $$$?
Don't feel bad. The lady across the street from me has backed out of her driveway and hit one of our cars THREE separate times. We'd park somewhere else if we could, but the road doesn't allow it. She's crushed the doors of three separate cars (my SUV, my son's Integra GSR, and my daughter's boyfriend's Mustang). Each time it's, "I didn't see it". Geez, there's always a car there! LOOK! She just keeps shelling out two grand every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Quote:

If paint is needed for the fender it will cost you. Just thinking out of the box here, It sounds like you would pay for a bumper ( aero ), if she has insurance, help her with the deductible and get the car fixed properly. It would be less money out of pocket. As to switching bumpers, does the aero one have openings for the brake cooling ducts like the ///M? If not, IMHO, it would be a down grade to do that, other than for the way it looks. Just some thoughts from the outside looking in, Shaheen. Good luck on the outcome.
      01-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I say go file claim against her insurance! It is not going to be cheap (especially if require painting). You want to get it done at the best shop you can find. Not sure about CA, but it should not cost her anything (maybe some increase in premium later on) i know you feel bad for her but she needs to learn a lesson!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
Quote:

If paint is needed for the fender it will cost you. Just thinking out of the box here, It sounds like you would pay for a bumper ( aero ), if she has insurance, help her with the deductible and get the car fixed properly. It would be less money out of pocket. As to switching bumpers, does the aero one have openings for the brake cooling ducts like the ///M? If not, IMHO, it would be a down grade to do that, other than for the way it looks. Just some thoughts from the outside looking in, Shaheen. Good luck on the outcome.
I figured she pay for fender and headlight damage (glass underneath visible lense is cracked) and I pay for my bumper swap sooner rather than later.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464000

^ check that out.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
tell them to trade the rx330 for a civic
      01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

If they can afford the RX 330 then they should be able to afford the repair on your car...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post
If they can afford the RX 330 then they should be able to afford the repair on your car...
It was 13K used.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Sounds like money is not too much of an issue for you. Why not help out a close friend's family and cover the repairs yourself?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

step 1) park at the mall. step 2) go have lunch. step 3) go shit house when you get back to the parking lot, and call the cops. get an accident report, all anyone has to do is pay the deductible.

I've herd of this working before, and then everyone makes out
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
step 1) park at the mall. step 2) go have lunch. step 3) go shit house when you get back to the parking lot, and call the cops. get an accident report, all anyone has to do is pay the deductible.

I've herd of this working before, and then everyone makes out
Make sure there is no camera surveillance at the mall.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I'm gonna say avoid the insurance fraud (and accident report for your car history), and get it fixed using used parts, and ask her to pay whatever part of it she can afford
      01-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Well I wanna help out but I can't just throw $3000 out there for repairs....

Ive posted up looking for used parts for now.

And id prefer to avoid fraud.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Well since my barrier for paying was my parents (17, money I earn is in their name). They've allowed me to pay for half. Will be going to Sterling Collision in tustin, ca. They handled my Audi and did a great job, giving me 25% off labor for this too. Will be doing an Aero bumper as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well since my barrier for paying was my parents (17, money I earn is in their name). They've allowed me to pay for half. Will be going to Sterling Collision in tustin, ca. They handled my Audi and did a great job, giving me 25% off labor for this too. Will be doing an Aero bumper as well.
How are you using the aero bumper from this post:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=464000

on an M coupe? I don't see how the brake ducts line up properly.
      01-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Plan to use the outer lower grills.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Nice to see someone else going through the rigors of R&D

Have you considered the splitter's effects with regards to reducing lift generated by the front tires? The bottoms of the front tires on the Z4 MC (once you're running wider than stock) stick out into the airflow and I wonder if your splitter, as it is now, would end up funneling airflow off the bumper face and into the front face of the tires. One of the things I regret not doing on my splitter was molding the ends to deflect air away from the tire face more, although mine stuck out farther and it was thus possible.
      01-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Palantirion;8655943]Nice to see someone else going through the rigors of R
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Take it to Spectrum in Irvine if you need to take it anywhere IMO. I had some work done on our Z4 3.0i there and the work is impeccable. Like the car had NEVER been touched impeccable. There are only two body shops in So. Cal that I have seen work even remotely resembling acceptable. Spectrum and Marcos in Pasadena.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Take it to Spectrum in Irvine if you need to take it anywhere IMO. I had some work done on our Z4 3.0i there and the work is impeccable. Like the car had NEVER been touched impeccable. There are only two body shops in So. Cal that I have seen work even remotely resembling acceptable. Spectrum and Marcos in Pasadena.
I'll check it out today.

And my earlier post got cutoff, but I was saying they have to install the bumper THEN figuring out the splitters
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

So I went to spectrum collision and talked to Chris...he was kind of a jerk and I'm looking at the estimate, he has some random crap on here with a total of $3,800. Sterling quoted me $3,400. And the shop the family sent me to (autobody by caldwell) quoted $2,200, they don't blend in the panels or anything... Anyone have any experience with them? I'm gonna get a couple more estimates first.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pics?
Appreciate 0