ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
CHINE86MCOUPE
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 M COUPE

Looking to do some upgrades soon

I am in the market for new wheels, pedals a shift knob. I was thinking about some CSL wheels in a 19", but there are so many different brands and sizes.
Does anyone have a set on their M Coupe? I don't want any clearance problems or have to roll the fender.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Can't answer your wheel question, but....

Consider adding CDV delete and transmission mounts to that list as well. See this thread (shifters, CDV, transmission mounts)--start at the end of the thread though! Rogue transmission mounts are pretty good replacements as are UUC. Zeckhausen makes a hollowed out CDV if you're still under warranty (otherwise just have it removed or remove it).

I can recommend Ultimate Pedals if your thinking about pedals.

Mods away!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
CHINE86MCOUPE
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 M COUPE

thanks for the info

I notice that the clutch take alot of getting use to,even then its still hard to get it smooth. I don't understand why BMW put that restriction in the line? If I remove or replace the fitting, would that void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINE86MCOUPE View Post
I notice that the clutch take alot of getting use to,even then its still hard to get it smooth. I don't understand why BMW put that restriction in the line? If I remove or replace the fitting, would that void the warranty?
It's to reduce driveline shock caused by folks who can't drive stick. But all it does for those who do know how to drive stick is make you look bad as it delays the clutch action (like an old turntable arm with viscous dampening). So you don't have direct control on release (it doesn't affect clutch engagement, just disengagement).

The Zeckhausen looks stock (as it is, but laser drilled) so it won't set off any immediate red flags. But if the dealer is on the ball (big if) and checked they could tell. Cost about 30 bucks IIRC. Removing it would be a big red flag. Most of us have replaced it with the Zeck because it's such a PITA warranty or not.

While we're on the topic of shifting, here's a few more tips:

The car tends to grind 1st 2nd at high revs (sometimes lower revs). Pull the shifter down and to the left when going first to second and let the revs equalize a bit....in fact, always pull the shifter left on 1st to 2nd.

On normal 1st to 2nd shifts (lower revs, traffic) keep the revs at the level for 2nd (don't let them drop too far) or the car tends to buck.

The car tends to not like to go 3rd to 2nd on hard turns (hence the transmission mounts as the stockers are like marshmallows).

Some or all of this may be obvious but I thought I'd say it anyway. It's all here, and more, if you search around....

It's a great car with some quirks...all of which can pretty easily be worked around.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-03-2011 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #5
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^+1. excellent recommendations with accompanying reasoning. the zeckhausen cdv was my first mod and it made a noticeable difference in terms of gear engagement, especially in 1st and 2nd. u will doubtless already have felt how notchy gears 1 and 2 are and this is perfectly normal, and can be somewhat alleviated with different tranny fluid (rp synchromax is rather popular). also, the bucking bronco type deal at very low revs in 2nd gear is characteristic of the drive-by-wire system, i usually avoid short-shifting from 1st to 2nd just to leave the revs a bit higher up before the shift. alternatively, u could move off in 2nd.

by far the most popular non-oem aftermarket csl reps are the vmr vb3's that are readily available in 18" or 19" and different finishes. they are pretty affordable and can be ordered with near-stock offsets for the z4m's.

popular shift knob replacement is moving from stock to zhp. the zhp shift knobs (6-speed non-lighted and lighted variants) can be purchased from leatherz.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
JB 007
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4MC RRS MINI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Zeckhausen makes a hollowed out CDV if you're still under warranty (otherwise just have it removed or remove it).
Is it possible to remove the cdv? or only thing is replace to modified one?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB 007 View Post
Is it possible to remove the cdv? or only thing is replace to modified one?
Yes, the clutch delay valve can be removed altogether. If you're under warranty then buy the Zeck modified CDV, otherwise just remove the CDV.