ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
yakswak
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X1 x28i

Talking Mt Tam Loop in the Z4MC

Today was a gorgeous day in San Francisco...no rain, no wind, sunny with blue skies. I took this opportunity to take the Z4M out for a drive in Marin, a place that I have not visited too often even though I live so close. Main reason being the Anti-Mountain Biking locals that have all of the great riding trails closed up...but today it didn't matter as I had no bike and it was just the me, my girl, and the Z4M.

The route I took was to go up from the city into Fairfax and start up the climb into Mt Tam State Park via Bolinas Rd. This road then turns into Bolinas-Fairfax road, a very narrow, twisty, forested and dark fun bit that would be great when the road is dry. All of the run off from the previous week's rain meant the road was soaked with a lot of debris, so I took it quite easy through here. Being a normal "workday" for most people, the road was deserted save for a few bicyclists.

After a lot of turns and a few switchbacks, we reached Ridgecrest road, which looked a lot like Bolinas-Fairfax road in the first mile or so until it opened up to the gorgeous day it was. Rolling hills, empty road, gorgeous view out to the ocean (for the passenger, of course!). It was clear enough today for the Farallon islands to be visible...mix of clouds and fog that created a wonderful variety to the view was fantastic.

We capped the day off by heading down to the Pelican Inn on CA1 and had a late lunch of Fish and Chips. The Pelican Inn is an Inn/Pub/Restaurant that serves up country English menu with an atmosphere to match. Sorry no pics here as we were so busy eating, but the food was great!

So to finish up the report here are some pics from the day's drive. The car of course was awesome on these roads...a bit too wet/narrow on some parts for me to really open her up, but we were there for the views and the food.

And here's the route we took!

Mt Tam Loop Route

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited by yakswak; 01-03-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Nice Shots. Looks like a marvelous spot!!!
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Mt Tam trip

Really cool trip.
I swear I'm going to take my Z4 up the PCH and end the trip up there near the Muir Woods someplace.
Fantastic!
For future reference, pics of beautiful women always enhance the forum!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Nice. One of the things I miss about living in the foothills.

Gotta ask "Anti-Mountain Biking Locals"? When did mountain biking become a crime? (I see from the sign in one photo it's no dog, no bike, and no horses...guess I won't be visiting soon as where I go the dog goes....)

Enough of my commentary. Sounds like a wonderful day out and the sun today sure was fun after all the rain we have had!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
yakswak
Private
Rep

The trail access issue in Marin has been going on for years...of course, the locals/hikers/etc have won this long ago so folks may not consider it an "issue" per say anymore and just stick to the gravel roads and a few singlestrack that is still open to riders. It's sad that the birthplace of mountain biking is so limited to...mountain bikers.

Then again, I can't be so angry about this since I'm a transplant to the area from Oregon (~10yrs ago) and Marin was long closed off by then. There are tons of riding to be had in Mid-Pen, Santa Cruz Mountains, and North Bay locations other than Marin to keep us all happy!

And on a happier note, the best part of course of having a sports car that can haul mountain bikes is that you get to drive on awesome roads to go on a ride. Come this spring I'll be putting this to the test with the Z4MC. I saw a thread where it's possible to put a bike in the boot with both wheels off...haven't tried it myself, but we'll see! In the meantime, I'll be taking my other car that has a rack and riding my singlespeed or riding road until the mucky season is semi-over...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

That adds to my Marin history. Haven't lived in the Bay Area in over 10 years (moved to the foothills outside of Sacto). Plenty of places here to drive and ride as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
CHINE86MCOUPE
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 M COUPE

Nice drive

I only wish I could skip work and spend the day like that, but both boss at work and at home would be pissed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
yakswak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINE86MCOUPE View Post
I only wish I could skip work and spend the day like that, but both boss at work and at home would be pissed.
My company had the New Year's Holidays backwards...we worked on 12/31 and had 1/3 off. Worked out well in the end, go out at night on NYE and go enjoy the day on 1/1~1/3!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Nice pics. I love the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #10
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

gorgeous, sprawling vistas! do u use any kind of post-processing on ur photos?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Foxland
Private
Rep
Drives: Merlot Red Z4 3.0 Roadster

My daughter and son-in-law just moved to Marin from Florida, I was out visiting and saw some of the sites including going up to Tan in his Carrera S, unbelievably beautiful place. Had I seen that before moving to Boca that's were I'd be! If you are into bikes (with and without motors) and cars that is one of the better places to live.

Last edited by Foxland; 01-04-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakswak View Post
Today was a gorgeous day in San Francisco...no rain, no wind, sunny with blue skies. I took this opportunity to take the Z4M out for a drive in Marin, a place that I have not visited too often even though I live so close. Main reason being the Anti-Mountain Biking locals that have all of the great riding trails closed up...but today it didn't matter as I had no bike and it was just the me, my girl, and the Z4M.

The route I took was to go up from the city into Fairfax and start up the climb into Mt Tam State Park via Bolinas Rd. This road then turns into Bolinas-Fairfax road, a very narrow, twisty, forested and dark fun bit that would be great when the road is dry. All of the run off from the previous week's rain meant the road was soaked with a lot of debris, so I took it quite easy through here. Being a normal "workday" for most people, the road was deserted save for a few bicyclists.

After a lot of turns and a few switchbacks, we reached Ridgecrest road, which looked a lot like Bolinas-Fairfax road in the first mile or so until it opened up to the gorgeous day it was. Rolling hills, empty road, gorgeous view out to the ocean (for the passenger, of course!). It was clear enough today for the Farallon islands to be visible...mix of clouds and fog that created a wonderful variety to the view was fantastic.

We capped the day off by heading down to the Pelican Inn on CA1 and had a late lunch of Fish and Chips. The Pelican Inn is an Inn/Pub/Restaurant that serves up country English menu with an atmosphere to match. Sorry no pics here as we were so busy eating, but the food was great!

So to finish up the report here are some pics from the day's drive. The car of course was awesome on these roads...a bit too wet/narrow on some parts for me to really open her up, but we were there for the views and the food.

And here's the route we took!

Mt Tam Loop Route

Thanks for looking!!
Nice car ... Exterior same as mine, wish I had taken red inside

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0