ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Noob Storage Question

When you guys hook your batteries up to the battery tender, do you take the battery out of your car or leave it inside your car?
      12-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I have always left the batteries in my vehicles when using a battery tender. The cord is long enough and the car sits low enough that you can easily run the cord out, put the tender on the floor and shut the lid. Saw nothing adverse doing this. Just make sure there's no water on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4m

Keep mine in but its a heated garage. U should take it out if there isnt heat, shouldnt charge a frozen battery
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
StigJ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe & '14 F30

I have removed the battery from the car. It now sits in storage for the winter with no heating. The battery is stored inside my house, warm and comfy charging until april :-)
      12-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
I kept the battery in the car too. Connected the tender to the terminals in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Vinnie,

My battery is in the car in the cold garage - I run the the 12v adapter through the hatch and into the lighter. I've run this setup through 4 seasons and into 5 with no problems. I am getting a new battery in 2011 as PM; experience tells me they all die in year 5.

Dave
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Vinnie,

My battery is in the car in the cold garage - I run the the 12v adapter through the hatch and into the lighter. I've run this setup through 4 seasons and into 5 with no problems. I am getting a new battery in 2011 as PM; experience tells me they all die in year 5.

Dave
I was told by a parts person in my dealership that charging through the lighter doesn't work with our cars.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerRrari View Post
I was told by a parts person in my dealership that charging through the lighter doesn't work with our cars.
I guess he's FOS
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

I should add the car is dormant for 4 months setup this way.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Well given that I wanted to buy the battery tender and he said it wouldn't work I'd say he's not a very good salesperson...
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerRrari View Post
Well given that I wanted to buy the battery tender and he said it wouldn't work I'd say he's not a very good salesperson...
A very good friend has been a BMW sales guy for three years and I'm astounded on a regular basis with his lack of knowledge of the vehicles. Must be just me, but I would hope if you do something for a living you would develop some passion and subject matter expertise in the area?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
GomboRombo
Roadie B4 Roady
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

I probebly drive my Z only once or twice every other week (approx 60 miles) during the winter months. Do you guys think I should use a battery tender?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Thanks everybody for the responses! My garage is not heated however it is insulated so i may just leave the battery in the vehicle
      12-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
Thanks everybody for the responses! My garage is not heated however it is insulated so i may just leave the battery in the vehicle
There is never a reason to remove the battery for a battery tender; especially if the car is stored under a roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
There is never a reason to remove the battery for a battery tender; especially if the car is stored under a roof.
Reason as to why?
      12-31-2010, 03:58 AM   #16
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Mike Miller's recommendation:

"Use of a Battery Tender Plus (www.batterytender.com) or the equivalent BMW
Advanced Battery Charging System is required, or your battery will be history long
before you return from a trip or military deployment. A modern BMW will discharge its
battery in a couple of weeks, rock dead. This is due to the number of electronic control
units that are powered up all the time even when the car is in sleep mode.

If you store the car outdoors, Battery Tender makes a waterproof version if you have
shore power handy. If not, BMW makes a solar-powered battery charger that sits on the
dashboard or between a sunscreen (advisable for outdoor storage) and the windshield.
Very handy for military base use but quite expensive -- you can just replace the battery
for less, but then the car will be without power during storage, and that can spell future
electronic problems.

If you have no outdoor power source, you really need to get the BMW solar powered
battery charger UNLESS the car is going to be stored for a matter of years, in which case
you really have no choice but to simply remove the battery.

I prefer to keep power to the control units, though. Modern BMWs don't like being
without their little electron friends for very long. Store a modern BMW without power for
a year, and chances are good you'll have electronic problems when the car awakens."
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I can think of one good one. When the car is stored where there is no power available. Like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep

Would be interested in hearing more about this. My car is being stored for 15 weeks without the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Mike Miller's recommendation:

"Use of a Battery Tender Plus (www.batterytender.com) or the equivalent BMW
Advanced Battery Charging System is required, or your battery will be history long
before you return from a trip or military deployment. A modern BMW will discharge its
battery in a couple of weeks, rock dead. This is due to the number of electronic control
units that are powered up all the time even when the car is in sleep mode.

If you store the car outdoors, Battery Tender makes a waterproof version if you have
shore power handy. If not, BMW makes a solar-powered battery charger that sits on the
dashboard or between a sunscreen (advisable for outdoor storage) and the windshield.
Very handy for military base use but quite expensive -- you can just replace the battery
for less, but then the car will be without power during storage, and that can spell future
electronic problems.

If you have no outdoor power source, you really need to get the BMW solar powered
battery charger UNLESS the car is going to be stored for a matter of years, in which case
you really have no choice but to simply remove the battery.

I prefer to keep power to the control units, though. Modern BMWs don't like being
without their little electron friends for very long. Store a modern BMW without power for
a year, and chances are good you'll have electronic problems when the car awakens."
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

FWIW Mine is currently on a new CTEK charger connected through the lighter. I kept an eye on the charger, and it correctly went through the charging phases (now at the resting/floating longterm phase). So that seems to work just fine.

My garage isn't heated nor insulated, though it is connected to the house. If I encounter any problems due to charging the battery inside the car in this cold place I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Would be interested in hearing more about this. My car is being stored for 15 weeks without the battery.
Probably best to e-mail Mike about it directly: techtalk@roundel.org / auspuf2002@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep

^thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
fastdad
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Vinnie,

Dave
This is my third winter using the BMW charger plugged into the lighter. Car is in the garage and no problems after being covered/stored since before Thnxging. I learned my lesson during my first winter with it: M + no driving + no tender > two weeks = no start + flatbed to dealer.
Appreciate 0