ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Anyone Upgrade their Fogs to HIDs?

Putting on a new bumper in the upcoming weeks and thought I'd upgrade my fogs while I'm at it. I looked at a few H11 bulbs that give a yellowish output but then realized maybe the cost differential to HIDs isn't that much more. Has anyone done this upgrade?

If so, which vendor did you go with? I'm most concerned with any error codes or bulb/ballast failing due to poor quality. Else, I may just stick to the brands I've gone with before for regular Halogens (Hoen or PIAA).
      12-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Why not kid the HID kit put in? It's plug and play. I'm going to install the kit mid Jan. 180bux.
      12-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkhan82 View Post
Why not kid the HID kit put in? It's plug and play. I'm going to install the kit mid Jan. 180bux.
Say again?

I'm open to HID kits... which is why I'm asking what kits are out there, and what has been your experience... I've heard mixed reviews on DDM. Umnitza seems to be popular among the e46 guys.
      12-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh Sorry I thought you were saying you just wanted bulbs. My fault.

hmm I have to check what brand I have.

I got them from http://www.gothidxenon.com/

Left side is 8000k right side is 10000k, for some reason the drivers side was not producing the same volts, it wasn't looking the same. any higher and it looks pink.

My friends had his for about 3yrs, so I went the same route.

My friends the dealer is Queens,NY.

If your interested, you can just pick them up. He also installs, which is coo because he can match up the bulbs and everything.

So far they've been perfect. Bit bright in the picture, in person you would see the projector. Looks really nice.
Same kit goes into the fog.

And during the day.
      12-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh Sorry I thought you were saying you just wanted bulbs. My fault.

hmm I have to check what brand I have.

I got them from http://www.gothidxenon.com/

Left side is 8000k right side is 10000k, for some reason the drivers side was not producing the same volts, it wasn't looking the same. any higher and it looks pink.

My friends had his for about 3yrs, so I went the same route.

My friends the dealer is Queens,NY.

If your interested, you can just pick them up. He also installs, which is coo because he can match up the bulbs and everything.

So far they've been perfect. Bit bright in the picture, in person you would see the projector. Looks really nice.
Same kit goes into the fog.

And during the day.

Assuming no, but any pics of the install? Wondering how thin the ballast is and how/where he mounted it.
      12-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ah sorry no pictures. But the box hangs from some mount inside. You also need this other piece. Let me call him tonight and get the information.
      12-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
I converted my fogs 60 days ago when I also converted the headlights. I bought new Xenon Projectors, bulbs, ballasts and bulb error switches from theretrofitsource.com. I'm so happy with headlight upgrade that I never use the fogs.

Nickpapa who is a regular on this forum was a wealth of information when I was looking to do my upgrade. You may want to research his previous posts to get additional information.
      12-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I wouldn't change the fog lights to HIDs. The whole point of having fog lights is to have a lower output light source, because bright light reflects off of the fog to a greater degree. It sort of defeats the purpose of having fogs.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I wouldn't change the fog lights to HIDs. The whole point of having fog lights is to have a lower output light source, because bright light reflects off of the fog to a greater degree. It sort of defeats the purpose of having fogs.
+1

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's not the first time I read that halogen fogs are better than hid's, but it's the first time someone explained why. Thank you!

I just ordered a set of PIAA's in yellow. $60 shipped, good deal...
      12-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting.

I've never experienced extreme fog where I needed my lights. So I'm going for pure show.

So how come the new Mercedes and Porches have HID fogs stock. Any idea?
      12-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting.

I've never experienced extreme fog where I needed my lights. So I'm going for pure show.

So how come the new Mercedes and Porches have HID fogs stock. Any idea?
I thought those were led's?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 12-23-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I put on a set of Halo H11s in yellow on my 2005 and have had great luck so far. They only run $20 on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I bought some from Luminic's in JDM yellow for my fogs on the last car I had and they were awesome. Really helped out and they were around the same price, $55.00 shipped and they have a 1 year warranty. Never had any problems and they made fog disappear.

http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
I bought some from Luminic's in JDM yellow for my fogs on the last car I had and they were awesome. Really helped out and they were around the same price, $55.00 shipped and they have a 1 year warranty. Never had any problems and they made fog disappear.

http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/
Good stuff, I've run Luminics before on my G... didn't know they had H11s else I would've taken a look at them as well. I'll report on how the PIAA's turn out...
      12-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I thought those were led's?
Sorry, your right
      12-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

They are out of stock for the yellow H11's right now. I'm waiting till they come back in till I get mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Qusain
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Putting on a new bumper in the upcoming weeks and thought I'd upgrade my fogs while I'm at it. I looked at a few H11 bulbs that give a yellowish output but then realized maybe the cost differential to HIDs isn't that much more. Has anyone done this upgrade?

If so, which vendor did you go with? I'm most concerned with any error codes or bulb/ballast failing due to poor quality. Else, I may just stick to the brands I've gone with before for regular Halogens (Hoen or PIAA).
Hi,

I have recently done this upgrade, and once completed am so glad I did it. The difference is remarkable and the car looks very nice. I purchased my H11 Xenon White light, led Fog lights from ebay and went through a company called mylitco.com (they are on ebay or search them in google). The great thing about these bulbs is that they are Japanese imports and have built in resistor chips which makes sure no on board computer errors pop up.

Very impressed by the delivery time and price, I would definitely recommend them. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Yep, also yellower colors of light are supposed to reduce the refraction of light. Hence why some fog lights are actually yellow.

The other concept of fog lights are for them to be positioned lower to the ground to be able to peer under the fog to light up any road signs, traffic, etc. ahead.

The only times I've had to use the fog lights were when I travelled out of the city, and even then I found using the Daytime Running lights worked better than the fog lights. (on an e46, not Z4). Depends on your location I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Yep, also yellower colors of light are supposed to reduce the refraction of light. Hence why some fog lights are actually yellow.

The other concept of fog lights are for them to be positioned lower to the ground to be able to peer under the fog to light up any road signs, traffic, etc. ahead.

The only times I've had to use the fog lights were when I travelled out of the city, and even then I found using the Daytime Running lights worked better than the fog lights. (on an e46, not Z4). Depends on your location I suppose. If you're doing it for asthetics / color temperature then I think LED's will work just as well and much cheaper to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I turned on the HIDs once to see what the hub-bub is about in dense fog.

Big mistake.

All I saw was a giant wall of white. Almost all the light from the headlight got reflected back and I couldn't see squat. Turned off the HIDs and turned on the fogs on the 323Ci and was instantly rewarded with enough visibility to limp along at 15 mph.

This was pretty thick stuff, common in the San Joaquin Valley during the winter. Outside of the car you can maybe see about 15-20 feet ahead. Barely.

If you're doing it purely for looks, just hope that you NEVER run into thick fogs, because you will have absolutely no visibility beyond your bumper once the HIDs are lit.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I turned on the HIDs once to see what the hub-bub is about in dense fog.

Big mistake.

All I saw was a giant wall of white. Almost all the light from the headlight got reflected back and I couldn't see squat. Turned off the HIDs and turned on the fogs on the 323Ci and was instantly rewarded with enough visibility to limp along at 15 mph.

This was pretty thick stuff, common in the San Joaquin Valley during the winter. Outside of the car you can maybe see about 15-20 feet ahead. Barely.

If you're doing it purely for looks, just hope that you NEVER run into thick fogs, because you will have absolutely no visibility beyond your bumper once the HIDs are lit.
not for looks, purchased normal h11 bulbs. i encounter pretty dense fog as well when crossing the nj/ny border going up the hudson.