ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

New car washing record for me!

Well, I washed the Solstice and M Coupe today in 30-degree temps; typically I wait until it's above 40, but their grunginess got to me. I wasn't alone, either - there were 2 or 3 others cars there. Which leads to...

People really do stink sometimes. I was at a 10-bay car wash and only 3 or 4 bays were being used. I stayed in the bay to dry my M Coupe out of the wind and to have some light, and someone in a Corolla pulls up and asks me to hurry, please. There were six empty bays available, and he had to have passed four of them to get to me.

The Z4MC does look great, though. I had it waxed a couple of weeks ago and they used a buffer on it so it gleams like it never before with me working by hand. I need to snag one of those...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4m

If U get a buffer this is the one I have and its amazing
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
I would've asked what made him want the spot you were in aside from the four empty ones... some ppl are just idiots

also,

12-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
needpics
It was dark by the time I finished, so no pics.

@boydgti: I'm a condo-dweller so I'm hoping technology has finally caught up and there's a decent cordless. The guy with the spot next to me has a buffer/polisher and runs a huge extension cord to the garage 3 floors below - I'd rather not...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
tjank123
Geh Hau Ab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5-35d, '08 ZM Coupe

With four other bays opens, I would have washed my car a second time to make him wait.
      12-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjank123 View Post
With four other bays opens, I would have washed my car a second time to make him wait.
I was so certain that he'd move to another bay once he saw that one was occupied. When he honked, I pointedly looked into the next empty bay and looked back with a puzzled expression.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

He honked and there were other bays open. That's pretty funny. It would be pretty hard not to want to delay a little more with that kind of antic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I was so certain that he'd move to another bay once he saw that one was occupied. When he honked, I pointedly looked into the next empty bay and looked back with a puzzled expression.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

When it is this cold I usually fill up the wash bucket with steaming hot water (and some car wash) to offset the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydgti View Post
If U get a buffer this is the one I have and its amazing
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html
x2, just bought one and it offers the best of both worlds: a random orbital but at some speeds approaching that of a rotary......I was able to make my Mini headlights look brand new with a little 3M Finesse. It does a great job on oxidized/swirled paint too.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948

Last edited by wrh3; 12-13-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I think I know that guy!

His name is R. Sole.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #10
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I had it waxed a couple of weeks ago and they used a buffer on it so it gleams like it never before with me working by hand. I need to snag one of those...
Do some reading on use of those buffers before you start. You can ruin a paint job with a buffer used improperly.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Do some reading on use of those buffers before you start. You can ruin a paint job with a buffer used improperly.
I have - from that reading it appears rotaries are the big danger, while random orbital buffers are the safest for paint due to their slower rpm and weaker motors that slow when too much pressure is applied. It's difficult to damage your paint with a random orbital, the downside being that finish correction takes longer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I've heard Simon's Shine Shop does good work with paint correction. Not cheap, but if you don't want to risk an "oops" moment they may be a good place to check out.

I have Jet Black and may need a pro. I got mine looking pretty good but there are some bird poops that have eaten into the paint and a scratch that's pretty disturbing.

BTW, quite impressed you got out for a wash this weekend. It was cooooold.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Polisher

I've had great luck with my Porter-Cable. There are plenty of youtube videos TRYING to burn the paint with those and it is VERY difficult.
It pulled out the swirls in my paint very well. Took two detail sessions of a couple of months. (I was very cautious and didn't use enough "pad" the first time).
I am now swirl free!
the only down-side to the PC is that it gets heavy after an hour. Now, I 'm a Big guy but the arms can start to ache if you don't give the detail session an hour break between coats of polish, wax, and finisher, etc.
I didn't look into cordless but if you can get a couple of batteries to ensure that you can finish the job, that might workout better.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

What model PC buffer do you use?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I have a PC too and love the way the car looks after. I haven't gotten all the pads and stuff that I need but I'm using Magquire's Ultimate Carnaba by hand and then buff it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Porter Cable 7424

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
What model PC buffer do you use?
I use the 7424 model.

That's pretty much the model everyone uses. I use the 6" pads but they say if you use the 4" pads, you will have better control of the unit and that the work may even go faster. Dunno. Never tried the 4" pads.
Again, I would refer everyone to youtube. Great training classes. Quick and free.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Perfect, thanks! I Googled it right after asking and found that was about the only one referenced anywhere. Will pick one up in time for the Spring cleanup.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Check Autogeek for the Porter Cable package deals they save you some loot in the long run.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
boydgti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4m

If U are getting 1 this is the 1 to get Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher U wont be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I have had my PC for the last three years. It is a god send on the Roadster but I have yet to use it on the Coupe. It it harder to see imperfections on White and I keep the paint sealed. Plus, the way I wash the cars tends to reduce the swirls to a minimum. Using the two bucket method, I can wash the car in about 35 minutes. Less if I use the foam gun, but I don't use it all the time.

I have at least four of each type of pad: orange, blue, gray etc. etc.
I even got to the point to where washing my pads by hand got to be a chore so last Xmis my son bought me a Pad Washer from AutoGeek. This thing makes cleaning your DAO pads easy.

I have bought almost 95% of all my car care needs from AutoGeek.. I can order on Monday and it arrives on Wed. with the cheapest shipping.. I think the only thing I buy out in town is Megs Clay bar. It's cheap and I only clay every three months or so. If you have not clayed your car because you think it's hard, you are way wrong.

Two weeks ago, I washed the Coupe, pulled it into the garage and clayed it in 30 minutes. Then put a coat of Wolfgang DGPS on the car and let it cure overnight (12 hours). This sealant will last up to six months. Then, because it is now winter, I put a coat of Collinite 845 over top. The results are amazing and the best part is now dirt just rolls of the car without sticking. Even on the back of the car. In the summer months, my wax of choice is Pinnacle Liquid Sovereign on the Coupe and Pinnacle Signature Series II or Wolfgang Fuzion (yes, it's expensive) on the Roadster.

Watch all of AutoGeeks videos on buffing, polishing and why you should wax with the grain or air flow. You can learn much.

All my neighbors think I am cracked any way. I will go out in 30' weather and wash the car. I have been seen out in a rain storm with two buckets and washing the car.... and I use my air compressor to help in blowing out the water in all the places that it collects while I dry the car..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Shipkiller, big thanks for all the info. I thought I knew my detailing well but that's some great info!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
mb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M3

x2 on the neighbors

All my neighbors for years must think I've lost my mind washing the car obsessively and in all kinds of temperatures. Warm water and an Orka works wonders when it gets below 40.

http://www.irawoods.com/Orka-A82100-...tegory=1296086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I have had my PC for the last three years. It is a god send on the Roadster but I have yet to use it on the Coupe. It it harder to see imperfections on White and I keep the paint sealed. Plus, the way I wash the cars tends to reduce the swirls to a minimum. Using the two bucket method, I can wash the car in about 35 minutes. Less if I use the foam gun, but I don't use it all the time.

I have at least four of each type of pad: orange, blue, gray etc. etc.
I even got to the point to where washing my pads by hand got to be a chore so last Xmis my son bought me a Pad Washer from AutoGeek. This thing makes cleaning your DAO pads easy.

I have bought almost 95% of all my car care needs from AutoGeek.. I can order on Monday and it arrives on Wed. with the cheapest shipping.. I think the only thing I buy out in town is Megs Clay bar. It's cheap and I only clay every three months or so. If you have not clayed your car because you think it's hard, you are way wrong.

Two weeks ago, I washed the Coupe, pulled it into the garage and clayed it in 30 minutes. Then put a coat of Wolfgang DGPS on the car and let it cure overnight (12 hours). This sealant will last up to six months. Then, because it is now winter, I put a coat of Collinite 845 over top. The results are amazing and the best part is now dirt just rolls of the car without sticking. Even on the back of the car. In the summer months, my wax of choice is Pinnacle Liquid Sovereign on the Coupe and Pinnacle Signature Series II or Wolfgang Fuzion (yes, it's expensive) on the Roadster.

Watch all of AutoGeeks videos on buffing, polishing and why you should wax with the grain or air flow. You can learn much.

All my neighbors think I am cracked any way. I will go out in 30' weather and wash the car. I have been seen out in a rain storm with two buckets and washing the car.... and I use my air compressor to help in blowing out the water in all the places that it collects while I dry the car..
Appreciate 0