BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Help with holograms

This post is regarding my Rover: Its black, has been hand washed only by me since new (its a 2010 so its only 8 months old). Its never been to a car wash-no chemicals, no brushes- just soap and water and a clean microfiber.
In the sunlight I see what I think look like holograms. When I walk they seem to move on the paints surface. Overall the car looks great, but these holograms are driving me nuts since I;ve been so careful with the car.

I do wax the car often, so is it possible the holograms Im seeing are actually oil residue? Maybe 2 different kinds of wax not working together somehow?

The only other thing I can think of is that some IDIOT took a rotary buffer and a wool pad to the car when it landed at the dealership and its been there all along.

I know I can have a "paint correction" done but Im very afraid to let anyone take a buffer to the black paint. Im afraid it will just end up looking worse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Take a picture in direct sunlight to see the holograms. If the paint is Black it is very easy to cause any marring or swirls. It is the worst colors out there (to own)...It is very easy to correct, even if you do it yourself. 99% of the time you can fix these problems with a Porter Cable or Dual Action Polisher, you do not need a rotary.

I would suggest you only attack the problem areas, and correct those. The reason I suggest this is Black is a PITA - the more you "care" for them, the more damage you cause...

Wash - clay - rewash - polish - finish - protect. Also, after you dry the vehicle make sure you do a prep wipe or alcohol wipedown to remove all protection so you start with a fresh base.

I would suggest using a light polish such as Meguiars 205 - Menzerna 85RD - Menzerna 106FF etc. This will take care of the holograms - use a polishing pad (white/green).

About the wax...What you are referring to is sweating from the wax or sealant. This usually means too much product was used - or sometimes is happens with the weather (humidity) etc. Also - shitty towels will leave residue behind - just keep flipping and folding.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

I see you're in PA. Ever consider having a real top-notch pro take a look to evaluate the car and tell you exactly what it is going on and giving you an estimation on their price to fix the damage?
Not only do you have Barry Theal of Presidential Details in your backyard (Lancaster), you also have guys across the bridge in Jersey like David Saunders of Street Dreams Detail and Phil (board sponsor) from Detailers Domain all which are nationally known and recognized and could easily give you much better information 1 on 1.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

I agree with Marc on this one!

I dont agree with martin on doing just one panel. you will end up with a great looking fender sitting right next to a swirled up door...do the whole thing with the same process! (at least the final polishing)
Appreciate 0