ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Best iPod kits

I did a search but there are so many posts I don't know where to start, therefore can anyone recommend the best iPod/iPhone 4 kits?

Is the oem the best, or are after markets ones the same or better?

Thanks heaps
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
i use a dice unit, i got it from Bavarian sound werks and i'm pretty happy with it

http://www.bavsound.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

If you have the OEM navigation, then the Intravee II is the best on the market:

Here's what I think of the DICE:

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

I have the DICE Silverline kit.

wildag is correct, the DICE kit does have limitations, but everything in this World has limits. I have limitations, you have limitations, it is just a matter of what limitations you can live with.

For my needs the DICE unit is fine. Which ever unit you ultimately go for in the end make sure you order the radio interface kit not the trunk interface kit.

The trunk interface kit induces unacceptable hum and interference because of the excessive cable length and the routing location of the factory cable.

I understand that this issue is a common complaint of the Intravee II system too when used with the trunk interface wiring harness.

With the radio interface wiring harness I get crystal clear performance.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I have the DICE Silverline kit.

wildag is correct, the DICE kit does have limitations, but everything in this World has limits. I have limitations, you have limitations, it is just a matter of what limitations you can live with.

For my needs the DICE unit is fine. Which ever unit you ultimately go for in the end make sure you order the radio interface kit not the trunk interface kit.

The trunk interface kit induces unacceptable hum and interference because of the excessive cable length and the routing location of the factory cable.

I understand that this issue is a common complaint of the Intravee II system too when used with the trunk interface wiring harness.

With the radio interface wiring harness I get crystal clear performance.
I totally agree about the DICE trunk interface interference.

I have the "trunk" (actually rear console on the Z4) interface connected to my Intravee II and it has no interference (even with several extra yards of cables stuffed in there).

The interference is induction noise from the battery lines that run from the trunk to the engine. Longer cars, like the 3 series, will have more interference than our relatively short Z4.

A simple loading coil around the ipod adapter cable should fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
ScottinSSMD
Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Dice works fine right up to when you want to see or read the navi while in Dice mode. Sucks. Have to stop listening to music just to see the map. Also, if I touch the tone to tweek the bass or treble, it changes tracks instead of making the actual tone adjustments. Wouldn't recommend it, and would strongly discourage it if you saw what it does, or doesn't do, in person.
      12-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinSSMD View Post
Dice works fine right up to when you want to see or read the navi while in Dice mode. Sucks. Have to stop listening to music just to see the map. Also, if I touch the tone to tweek the bass or treble, it changes tracks instead of making the actual tone adjustments. Wouldn't recommend it, and would strongly discourage it if you saw what it does, or doesn't do, in person.
This is EXACTLY what I experienced. I was told by DICE techs three different times that this wasn't supposed to happen, but they made me pay for the return shipping twice. I never received a unit that didn't do this.

Finally, they told me that if I wanted to use the Navigation, I simply had to go through a 6 button process to turn off the song title text on the DICE. And then when I wanted it back, do the same 6 button process. I was told that's DICE's official position on the "non-issue".

I smashed my DICE Silverline Pro unit about 2 days after DICE tech support told me that.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinSSMD View Post
I have not had that experience.

I can look at the Nav map and listen to music from the DICE at the same time.

Also I have never had it play up with faulty function operation.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not had that experience.

I can look at the Nav map and listen to music from the DICE at the same time.

Also I have never had it play up with faulty function operation.
Does your unit show the song title text,and allow you to use the navigation at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
I totally agree about the DICE trunk interface interference.

I have the "trunk" (actually rear console on the Z4) interface connected to my Intravee II and it has no interference (even with several extra yards of cables stuffed in there).

The interference is induction noise from the battery lines that run from the trunk to the engine. Longer cars, like the 3 series, will have more interference than our relatively short Z4.

A simple loading coil around the ipod adapter cable should fix the problem.
Some users of the DICE system report no problem with the trunk interface kit but in my case static was a major problem (ok so you could only hear it in quiet sections of the song but still it was very annoying) so I imagine the same to be the case with the Intravee II system.

Like DICE users some Intravee II users will be fine with the trunk interface kit while others will have a problem with static.

If you check the Intravee forums and search 'static' you will find many users complain of this static issue too.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

I have never had any problems with my intravee II, and I have not seen one complaint here or on e46fanatics about the unit. On the other hand I have seen dozens of complaints about the various dice units.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Does your unit show the song title text,and allow you to use the navigation at the same time?
I don't think so but I will have to check however that is really not an issue in my case.

When I am using the Nav map I am looking where I am going and watching traffic.

I can already hear what I am listening to so it is not like I have to see the name or artist of the song unless I am searching for a track to album to play.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I have DICE if you're interested in picking one up PM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

intravee 2. dice is... dicey
      12-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Nothing BUT issues with my Dice unit, Intravee II is MUCH better and has been trouble and noise free.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think so but I will have to check however that is really not an issue in my case.

When I am using the Nav map I am looking where I am going and watching traffic.

I can already hear what I am listening to so it is not like I have to see the name or artist of the song unless I am searching for a track to album to play.
But if that's the case, then why not just get an Aux input that costs $100 less?

My point is that the DICE doesn't do what its advertised to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Interesting comments on the noise. My OEM adapter, which is in the dash, has a horrible amount of hiss. I can hear it on quiet and sometimes even the main parts of the songs. Sometimes it goes away for short periods, but is almost always there on some level. I have tried changing cables from the unit and even tried another main adaptor unit to no avail. I wonder about the "loading coil" Wildag mentioned. Maybe this would solve my problem. I am considering changing to the new DICE or Intravee II due to the noise, but would love it if I could fix it without the expense and hassle of replacing the OEM unit. The OEM Audi Music Interface in my wifes car makes no such noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

With the Intravee II do I need the Alpine Ipod bit too, or does it use the existing iPod connector in the glove box on the M coupe? The BMW iPod interface is pretty bad....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
With the Intravee II do I need the Alpine Ipod bit too, or does it use the existing iPod connector in the glove box on the M coupe? The BMW iPod interface is pretty bad....
You need the Intravee II and the KCA-420i Alpine iPod adapter. Get the KCA-420i on eBay or Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
all this talk bout intravee ii but is there even a place that sells this anymore? i searched for a long time and couldn't find a place.
      12-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Have the BMW adapter kit - keep the ipod in the glove box. No hiss, steering wheel controls. No detail as to which song in playing but I tend to pay more attention to what is outside. No hiss or other sound issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #22
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Have the BMW adapter kit - keep the ipod in the glove box. No hiss, steering wheel controls. No detail as to which song in playing but I tend to pay more attention to what is outside. No hiss or other sound issues.
My songs show and mine is quiet hiss wise.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=27

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=297113
Appreciate 0