ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Front Grill Support / Bracket?

While washing the car the other day I noticed one of my grills is not secure, you can easily push it back, basically wont stay in place. Does anyone know what part locks the grill in place? Going to pull the bumper off anyway for other work so figured I might as well fix this while I'm at it..

Couldn't identify any part here (unless I'm looking at the wrong diagram):

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...47&hg=51&fg=15

Last edited by 3002 tii; 11-19-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Grills are one piece, little tabs on them can break off over time. Old car had this problem, exactly like you have described, right down to when washing the car they would pop out. Grills never fell out in the time i had the car so i never renewed them.
You could use it as an excuse to replace them with all black or carbon grills lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
Grills are one piece, little tabs on them can break off over time. Old car had this problem, exactly like you have described, right down to when washing the car they would pop out. Grills never fell out in the time i had the car so i never renewed them.
You could use it as an excuse to replace them with all black or carbon grills lol.
That's weird b/c both my aftermarket and oem grills have the same problem. This is for the left grill only, and both of them push through. I'll try to take a closer look but I'm pretty sure the oem one has no broken tabs...
      11-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Flying Scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5L

Only thing i can suggest is IF there is no broken tabs, then wrap some electrical tape round these tabs where they meet the bodywork to hold them in place with a better "bite" if you know what i mean.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
So I popped out the grill, inspected the grills and tabs are all fine. What the problem is (as I suspected) is that there's plastic frame that sits behind the bumper that "accepts" the grill. That is the piece that's NOT secure. I inspected the other side and that side is secure and tight, but this side almost slips off or disconnects from the bumper.

I checked realoem but I couldn't find this piece... is this part of the bumper and cannot be bought separately? It would seem that you can or should be able to purchase this piece separately since I see how it slips on and off (there are these plastic "prongs" that the frame slides over)...
Attached Images

Last edited by 3002 tii; 11-20-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
bump for update, figured out what's wrong... anyone know if this piece can be purchased separately?
      11-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
So I popped out the grill, inspected the grills and tabs are all fine. What the problem is (as I suspected) is that there's plastic frame that sits behind the bumper that "accepts" the grill. That is the piece that's NOT secure. I inspected the other side and that side is secure and tight, but this side almost slips off or disconnects from the bumper.

I checked realoem but I couldn't find this piece... is this part of the bumper and cannot be bought separately? It would seem that you can or should be able to purchase this piece separately since I see how it slips on and off (there are these plastic "prongs" that the frame slides over)...
The part is part of the bumper. When you push the grille and it's not lined up it pushes it out. I glued mine all around between it and the bumper.

When you install now put your fingers behind the part that came apart and squeeze it in with the grilled assuming you have it in line.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
The part is part of the bumper. When you push the grille and it's not lined up it pushes it out. I glued mine all around between it and the bumper.
When you glued that piece to the bumper, was it because yours also got damaged? Are you saying at one point if the grill was installed (or attempted to be installed) incorrectly where it didn't line up correctly, the result would be that piece becoming damaged / disconnected?

That might sound right because I recall when I first purchased RPI scoops way back, I had trouble lining it up. So I later brought it to a shop while getting other work done and I recall the tech having difficulty with the grill, and I think he might have just used brute force to get it in...

Quote:
When you install now put your fingers behind the part that came apart and squeeze it in with the grilled assuming you have it in line.
But even without the grill in place, I can push that "frame" back effortlessly with my index finger. Or are you saying once I glue the frame to the bumper, then ensure the grill is lined up and that should solve my problems...

Last edited by 3002 tii; 11-20-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
When you glued that piece to the bumper, was it because yours also got damaged? Are you saying at one point if the grill was installed (or attempted to be installed) incorrectly where it didn't line up correctly, the result would be that piece becoming damaged / disconnected?

That might sound right because I recall when I first purchased RPI scoops way back, I had trouble lining it up. So I later brought it to a shop while getting other work done and I recall the tech having difficulty with the grill, and I think he might have just used brute force to get it in...

But even without the grill in place, I can push that "frame" back effortlessly with my index finger. Or are you saying once I glue the frame to the bumper, then ensure the grill is lined up and that should solve my problems...
I had some body shop stuff and when I pushed it in the piece moved.
There are some pins coming from the bumper that the black piece goes onto.
And the metal pushes down the pins to hold it on. When I gued it where the pins were it still came apart. So I glued the front of the black piece to the bumper. From that with the squeeze no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Ahh gotcha, same problem I have nothing keeping the frame from sliding off those pins. I will glue them down, thanks Ron!
      06-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Well I am having the exact same problems except I believe I am screWed because the mounting bracket thing is broken my grills are new because I got them in the mail but the mount is broken on 1 of the sides
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
Well I am having the exact same problems except I believe I am screWed because the mounting bracket thing is broken my grills are new because I got them in the mail but the mount is broken on 1 of the sides
Just glue the bracket back to the bumper, that's what I did. Works fine...
      06-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

epoxy?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep