ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Front plate story.

I just got a warning for no front plate; however, I got pulled over by bicycle cops!

I was in a shopping mall parking lot going 5kmph looking for parking and I saw these 3 bicycle cops weaving in and out of parking lot traffic. I was thinking to myself, "Parking lot traffic is bad enough during lunch time and 3 of them weaving in and out with no sense of where they're going, some poor old lady or new driver will get really confused and cause something bad happen"

As I come closer to them, one of them has one hand waving me down and can barely keep himself in balance with only one hand on the handle. I put my window down, and he paused for a moment and said
"YOU DON"T HAVE FRONT PLATE!"

(I figured that he wanted to say "PULL OVER" but being in the middle of the lot traffic, 3 cars behind me waiting to turn, and he's on a bicycle, he couldn't really say the right thing so I helped him out)
"Sir, do you want me to stop right here in the middle of the parking lot or find a spot and park?"

"Go park there! there's a spot!"

"Ok. Thank you sir, I was looking for one"

I drove about 30 yards with 3 bicycle cops in neon jacket tailing me and pulled into a spot. Must be a sight for the onlookers.

At the end, I got a written warning and he said he'll will put into the system. He said he won't even follow this up and waste his time but if I got pull over again with no-front-plate, they'll know this is the 2nd time.

This is what I got out of him.
-Tow hook mount is ok
-Zip-tie at any location below the grill and visible in the front is ok
-cut the plate to fit lower grill is not ok since any modification to the plate is illegal and plate is DMV's property
-Vinyl reflective sticker is not ok since anyone can print whatever number they want
-Inside the windshield glass is not ok and very dangerous

I did ask him out of curiosity "what if there's no front grill and not enough space below? where do you mount them?"

"Which car doesn't have front grill?"

"All my Ferrari and Lambo buddies don't have front grills and I don't think their car have enough space below the bumper to put a bracket on. So their only option is to drill the bracket into their $20k bumper?"

"I don't have an answer for you but it's the law and the dealership should figure it out.."

It's time to get Gominigo or Rho-plate? Which one is better or any other suggestions?

TIA,

Last edited by ZeD4Mr; 11-17-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

must have been a slow day for them! where abouts is vancity?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Get the Rho Plate. I got one and it's got a decent amount of positionings available. I pretty much got one just in case I needed to get any front plate fix-it tickets signed off

These things really are ridiculous. The only reason I can think of for having one is for red light cameras or something. Other than that, it's really pointless

Most people don't get pulled over for these things, let alone get ticketed.

However, do know that sometimes they can be really anal and not accept zip-tied solutions
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

That's a chicken shit ticket. I've been driving around in most of my cars for years with no front plate and I've never been messed with even though it is technically illegal in Texas. This cop must have been on the rag.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^i've gotten pulled over 3 separate times for not mounting my front license plate and have not been ticketed, just two issued and one verbal warning. one was texas state highway patrol, one was the bracketville local police and one was on-base. then again, i've encountered dozens of cops who're none-the-wiser about not mounting a front license plate, and the local cops in del rio are totally cool about it.

give some and take some, but i would go with the rho plate for its range of mounting positions.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I got 2 tickets for no front plate, I now use the Rho plate
      11-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

My Z4 is a U.S. car and didn't come with the front plate bracket either, but it's required in Toronto to have a front plate. What's the benefit of those aftermarket plates opposed to the OEM mounting bracket? (around $30 from my local dealer)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
My Z4 is a U.S. car and didn't come with the front plate bracket either, but it's required in Toronto to have a front plate. What's the benefit of those aftermarket plates opposed to the OEM mounting bracket? (around $30 from my local dealer)
The OEM bracket requires drilling into your front bumper, which leaves irreversible holes.
An aftermarket solution such as the Rho Plate allows for other forms of mounting, which are completely reversible/clean.
The Rho Plate itself utilizes the tow hook hole which has already been predrilled for you, so you don't need to modify anything on your car to use the Rho Plate. It just depends on whether or not you think the $85 or so is worth your investment.

The fix-it tickets here in California are like $15 when you get the ticket signed off (with proof of fixture). Not sure if they raised the rates or not since the last time I had to do it; but typically they pull you over for speeding, THEN tack on all the other junk such as no front plate, modified exhaust, tints, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Here in Florida we don't have front plates. I really think it's just another way for the States that require them to make a few more $$$$.

When I was looking for my MC (bought out of State) if it had a front plate mount, it would have been a deal breaker (yes, unfortunately I'm that anal).

Last edited by HOG4DNR; 11-18-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG4DNR View Post
Here in Florida we don't have front plates. I really think it's just another way for the States that require them to make a few more $$$$.

When I was looking for my MC (bought out of State) if I a front plate mount it would have been a deal breaker (yes, unfortunately I'm that anal).
For a lot of people, having holes in a visible place on the bumper is a deal breaker...

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I guess the consensus is going for Rho Plate. However, I never really liked the one-sided look, that's why I been taking my chances. Symmetrical is much prettier.

Has anyone tried: http://www.skene.org/bmw/plate/

If so, please post a pic. Just wanted to see how it looks with Z4 front end since it has much more curve than other cars.

TIA,
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

I guess OEM is better for me since there ARE factory drilled holes already on the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I have the GoMini plate and love it. I have had it on for 3+ years now and it looks new (the holder itself, not the plate). Faces perfectly forward and is easy to install/uninstall

I have not seen them Rho Plate but from reviews, they do the same thing and you can't really go wrong with either one.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
I guess OEM is better for me since there ARE factory drilled holes already on the bumper.
You can get those plugged with factory paint match
      11-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have the GoMini plate and love it. I have had it on for 3+ years now and it looks new (the holder itself, not the plate). Faces perfectly forward and is easy to install/uninstall

I have not seen them Rho Plate but from reviews, they do the same thing and you can't really go wrong with either one.
My GoMiniGo place is awesome