ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

which wind deflector do you use?

There are quite a few options out there from OEM to DIY and all the stuff between. Which one are you using and have you noticed any issues with it, or reason to want something else?

Also with the OEM mesh deflector, are you able to leave it installed with the top up too? Does it hinder rearward visibility?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
There are quite a few options out there from OEM to DIY and all the stuff between. Which one are you using and have you noticed any issues with it, or reason to want something else?

Also with the OEM mesh deflector, are you able to leave it installed with the top up too? Does it hinder rearward visibility?
I have an OEM deflector for sale. It can be left in place even with the top up. Pretty nice. It affects visibility a little bit at night but not by much. I honestly don't care about wind though so I took it off which is why it is for sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

I use the OEM hard mounted (not clipped covers over the roll bars) windscreen. Its a pricey upgrade, but the cloth hangar hooks, under trunk lid removable screen storage and a custom clear lexan insert make it worth the price.

I really like the mesh windscreen. It really doesn't interfere with the rear view visibility, and it's a great filter for bright head lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Maybe this old thread would help:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...wind+deflector
      11-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I've got the BMW OEM hard deflector that clips onto the roll bars and can be stored to the underside of the trunk lid.

I think its just fine, it makes it much less windy in the car with the top down. Also, I don't find any problem with visibility to the rear, even with the top up. I got mine from BMW Cleveland for a great price - $375 I think.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I have used the mesh type for 6 years. I have been thinking of going to the clear Plexiglas type so That I have somewhere to put my stickers. I have not had much of a chance to ride in one equipped this way. When asking questions of those that have the clear type, I get the answer that at certain speeds ( around 40 ) it acts more like a scoop ( pulling more air in, than blocking air) however at higher speeds it blocks most all air, So if I change I will just need to stay above 40 MPH. LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink

Greetings from downtown Beijing--on assignment here for some weeks and am missing my Zsi. I have the one from Roadster Solutions, the clear plexi type. Have had both mesh on the Z3 and this latest plexi on Z4. I like both. The mesh is great at night with lights, but also restricts vision which I did not care for. The plexi is great, and have not noted it scooping back into car at all...and no vision hinderance. Price and application, install was great. I used a very light rub of soap along edges so as to pull it out when not needed. Dick Lienbach is great to work w/re: the ordering etc. Nope no connection, just a great source for Z accessories etc...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
kookie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

@tekmoe Do you have this for sale?

I'm for down under and having a hard time finding one.
Which one do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post
@tekmoe Do you have this for sale?

I'm for down under and having a hard time finding one.
Which one do you have?
Yes, although not sure how much it would cost to ship to Australia. Here's the for sale thread I created: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454437
Appreciate 0