ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Cracked Rim

Ok, so my TPS waring went off Friday at work. Took it into the local tire shop to have it looked at. Its never a good sign when the service advisor asks you to take a walk out to the shop to see something.

There sits the wheel, tire and all and they show me two leaking cracks on the indide lip of the rim. I am not one to cry over spilt milk so when I got home I located a replacement rim and ordered it. Figuring that it really doesnt matter that it happened, I just need to get a new rim on quickly.

But then again I couldnt think of how I could have done this so I did a quick search and wow was I surprised to find out that this is a common issue with 18" alloy rims and RFT tires.

Now I am posed with a few options. While I like the benifit of being able to drive to the shop in case of a tire issue. I dont like the ride, the road noise and now the issue of rim dammage. So ere is what I am thinking about doing.

1. Get the new rim, this is a given
2. Replace both rear tires with non-run flats.
3. Enroll and get a AAA membership.
4. When the RFT's on the front need replacing(they are pratically new) change them for non-rft's

I am not one to put only two tires on a car but I figure since I cant rotate these anyways it should be ok to do, plus with the cost of two new tires, the rim, and other items I need to let the car fund catch its breath..

So, I know there are threads out there on the tire topic and I will search them. I was wondering about the running RFT on the front and regular on the rear for a few months. I just hate to waste perfectaly good tires. I dont track or race the car, its primarily my DD and for pleasure. Also what is a good, and just as important, quiet non-rft to run on the car?

Opinions welcome as well as honest advice, dont worry you wont hurt my feelings...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I'd say do everything but the AAA. Unless you really do a lot of driving, I mostly don't see AAA as being worth the annual fees. Then again, I've never personally had my own account, so I don't know what the current going rates are annually. I just always try to keep my wheels/tires in check so that I won't be stranded anywhere at any given point in time. But yes, I guess that's why they call it accidents, and/or emergencies. It might come back to bite me in the butt someday
But at least you're going in the right direction lol, RFT's should not be on sports cars, period
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Its 79.00 to sign p and give me 100 miles of towing. This should be enough to get it either home or the tire shop. I drive about 75-100 miles a day. he last time I had a tow it cost over 125.00 to get it to the shop. I figure the AAA as insurance more than a usable benifit plan. Its there only so I can call someone and get my car off the side of the road quickly.

I have seen several threads and topics about the Falkin FK452 as a good replacement. Given teh amount of miles I drive do these also have good treadlife? The Yokohama S Drive tires are about the same price..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Where did you order your replacement wheel? If you can stand the car being down for a few days you can always get a set off the classifieds on the forums for less than a new one from the dealership. Then you can sell the others individually.

Most people will tell you from a performance standpoint you don't want to run different tires. However, since the car is daily-driven I wouldn't worry about it. No need to waste two perfectly good tires that will wear out in 10k miles anyway. You're not going to be in danger unless you get in a high speed police chase after a bank robbery. If you don't like the results, you can always replace the fronts later.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep

Went with Finish Line Wheels. Cost me 218.00 shipped to my door with no core. Searched craigslist and checked ebay but found no others that were cheaper. I love the style of the rims I have (107) so I want to keep them, or at least the look of them and most people who are selling want to sell tem all.

So no high speed chases? will have to re-schedule the bank robery for when I replace the fronts...
Appreciate 0