BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

A year with the 1er

So exactly 12 months ago today I picked up my 135i from Worthington Gosford. It's hard to believe that it's already our first anniversary, but hey time flies when you're...flying down the road Just a couple of figures first:

Build date: May 2009
Odometer: 17,xxx km
V-max: 219km/h (according to my SA)
Track days: 1
Number of grins on my face: 9,593,487

She still feels as new as day one (that might be because a lot of her IS new, but more on that later) and still gives me the same thrill when I mash the pedal to the firewall. I've used her at least 6 days a week as my daily driver to/from work and uni. She's docile enough for those morning peak hour traffic jams, and has the lungs to really scream on those late-night cruises.

I guess the easiest way to outline my experience with my 135i is through a list.

Current mods
  • BMS Dual Cone Intake
  • Golf tee

Future mods
This is essentially a wishlist since there is no way I could afford all of it.
  • M3 E92 front sway bar, brackets and bushings
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BMW Performance suspension
  • JB3 2.0 PnP
  • BMW PE
  • BMW Performance Steering Wheel (I am fascinated by flashing lights)

Things that are awesome
  1. Her 'stealth battleship' look. In space grey, the car really is a sleeper. Embarrassing those Commodores who think my car is merely a base-spec BMW never gets old.
  2. TORQUE! I know it's a cliche for our cars, but the amount of pulling power that the N54 possesses cannot be overstated. I love the ability to creep up inclines during a traffic jam without any throttle application. Out of corners at the track, it makes up the lost time by really punching it.
  3. Relative practicality. Without a family, I have never found the boot too small. The interior is also very spacious for two people, with 4, it isn't exactly cramped either.
  4. Looks. Sure, she's a minger from a full frontal shot, but from all other angles she's a beauty. No flashiness, no unnecessary chrome, just simple grace. My girl said once "I think your car is prettier than the other BMWs I've seen"
  5. Steering. It's not the best for feedback, but I love the thick rimmed M-sport wheel and the sense of security it offers. It's reasonably direct and has a good weight to it.
  6. Handling. Simply excellent on the road. Very stable at speed, feels planted and controlled through corners. However, the body-roll and understeer become apparent on the track.
  7. Brakes. Brakes. Brakes. "DEAR GOD MY EYES!" - that was the first thing my friend shouted when I took him for a spin in the 1er and I slammed on the stoppers. They are absolutely phenomenal in power, but more importantly, fade-free after extended use. I also like the fact that the 135i at the time was the only car in the line-up to use the massive 6 piston calipers at the front.
  8. Exhaust note. Quite when it needs to be, but offers up a sonorous roar when the loud pedal is pressed. Sounds especially good in carparks.

Things that are fail
  1. The business nav system. Seriously, it's a $2,500 option and it doesn't even compare to my mum's $200 Garmin. 2D maps, slow loading times and no street name readouts? What a joke BMW. At least I think the iDrive is cool.
  2. Tyres. The runflats are frankly, quite crap. Expensive too. BMW could have probably saved a couple of hundred off the ticket price if it fitted some decent, normal tyres.
  3. Exhaust volume. Sure, the note is nice, but would be nicer if it was LOUDER. Even with windows down, I sometimes can't hear it over the traffic around me. Hopefully the BMW PE will fix this.
  4. Lack of cupholders. I know I sound American when I complain about this, but seriously, two people in the car with drinks + 1 cupholder = massive fight. I don't even know why there's a fight in these situations since I need both hands to drive, but it happens nevertheless.
  5. Temperamental transmission. I don't know whether it's me, the CDV, the notchy gearbox or all of the above, but the quality of my shifting has been inconsistent over the past year. Most of the time it's butter smooth and extremely enjoyable to operate, but sometimes the 1-2 and 4-5 shift become very jerky and makes me feel like a jerk. No matter how hard I try, on a bad day shifting from 1st to 2nd will always involve some shunting.
  6. EDIT: The indicator stalk. This is one of my pet hates. I don't understand why BMW thought they could 'improve' on a traditional design by making it like a 'button' rather than actually clicking into place. Sometimes, I'm not sure whether the signal has actually canceled automatically so I push the stalk to do it manually...only causing it to indicate again. I definitely rather have the old style.
  7. Presence of gremlins. Seriously, the 1er has some issues. They will be mentioned later.

Things that have broken
  • Charge pipe - blew off at 6,500km (replaced under warranty)
  • Rear centre brake light - cracked at 6,500km (replaced under warranty)
  • Rear driver side LED failure at 11,000km (replaced under warranty, passenger side also replaced under recall)
  • Driver side power window motor failure at 11,000km (replaced under warranty)
  • Long crank at 11,000km (software fix applied under warranty)

Overall, I'm very happy I bought her. That's it for now, might add more later when I think of something. Feel free to comment

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black

Last edited by Jeef Beef; 10-01-2010 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

wow u broke alot of shit in the car hahah... tho i have sold the car, i must say i agree with u! maybe not the power part! once u get a chip in the car... WOW hahahahhahahah by then u would need some new rubber

p.s SSK will fix most of that "Temperamental transmission" its sooooo good! loved it!
      10-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
[*]Temperamental transmission. I don't know whether it's me, the CDV, the notchy gearbox or all of the above, but the quality of my shifting has been inconsistent over the past year. Most of the time it's butter smooth and extremely enjoyable to operate, but sometimes the 1-2 and 4-5 shift become very jerky and makes me feel like a jerk. No matter how hard I try, on a bad day shifting from 1st to 2nd will always involve some shunting.
You really need to do the CDV delete. You will NOT regret doing it! I can't believe the difference in shifting enjoyment now.

As for two people fighting for one cup holder... you do realize that you can RAISE the center armrest! Whala... two cup holders!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

5 faults in one year.. :S yay for warranty though I guess.

You make me kinda wish I got a 1er.

Did you get her something nice for your anniversary? Maybe it is time for one of those listed mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
wow u broke alot of shit in the car hahah... tho i have sold the car, i must say i agree with u! maybe not the power part! once u get a chip in the car... WOW hahahahhahahah by then u would need some new rubber

p.s SSK will fix most of that "Temperamental transmission" its sooooo good! loved it!
Now I'm tempted to jump the gun for the SSK...I had a go with it on a car that was on display at the showroom, the thing definitely felt like a bolt-action rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You really need to do the CDV delete. You will NOT regret doing it! I can't believe the difference in shifting enjoyment now.

As for two people fighting for one cup holder... you do realize that you can RAISE the center armrest! Whala... two cup holders!
Yeh, I'm not sure there is anywhere local that can do the CDV cheaply and easily. Really don't want to bleed the clutch at home.

Also, in my excitement I ran to my car. I don't think the Aus-spec have the second cupholder, we ONLY have the one under the armrest. That is the one I am referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
5 faults in one year.. :S yay for warranty though I guess.

You make me kinda wish I got a 1er.

Did you get her something nice for your anniversary? Maybe it is time for one of those listed mods.
YOU TOTALLY SHOULD'VE GOTTEN A 1ER. Yeh, good thing they aren't too fussed about repairing things under warranty. Plus, they tend to give me Z4s as loan cars

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:

Without idrive, correct. Idrive option = 1 cup holder.

Doesn't worry me as my house is for eating and drinking in and my car is for transportation!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Without idrive, correct. Idrive option = 1 cup holder.

Doesn't worry me as my house is for eating and drinking in and my car is for transportation!
Not true. I have idrive and the car has 2 cupholders.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Not true. I have idrive and the car has 2 cupholders.
Like I said, we don't have the detachable cupholder like the US-spec cars. We ONLY have the one under the armrest.

Mangly is right on this one

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Australia 1
America 0
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Well....I had my 135i for just over a year and it was sweet....no HPFP, cracked brake lights etc. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Australia 1
America 0
Wrong, bangles. It seems the Yanks have 2!

Cheers,
Alf
      10-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Great review, good to see you enjoying your car. Cupholders don't belong in cars at all IMO, a blight on humanity the Americans have sponsored.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
Quote:
I'm just coming up to two years. 'Put the SSK in after one year but gearbox still feels notchy. To me. I MUST do the CDV mod when warranty runs out, if I can hold out that long... Clutch take up point is so random.
Only warranty issue so far is a failed tail light.
      10-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
  1. EDIT: The indicator stalk. This is one of my pet hates. I don't understand why BMW thought they could 'improve' on a traditional design by making it like a 'button' rather than actually clicking into place. Sometimes, I'm not sure whether the signal has actually canceled automatically so I push the stalk to do it manually...only causing it to indicate again. I definitely rather have the old style.
hehe, I love this feature!

I just wish there was an option to make it indicate 5x when you just flick it, instead of the 1x and 3x option.

Regarding the cup holders, I don't have i-drive so I have 2 spots. What sucks is a bundeberg ginger beer will only fit in the front slot (i think). The other slot is too small! The cup holder positions suck anyway, if you have anything larger than a can of coke it interfears with your arm while shifting, aswell as not being able to fit in the rear holder. Thankgod for resealable bottles and the floor.
      10-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
135GCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

[QUOTE=Jeef Beef;8090841]
Things that are fail
  1. The business nav system. Seriously, it's a $2,500 option and it doesn't even compare to my mum's $200 Garmin. 2D maps, slow loading times and no street name readouts? What a joke BMW. At least I think the iDrive is cool.

OMG absolutely right!! and thanks for telling me to make my turn in 20 feet and missing the turn and then having to make a uturn, I should be used to it already but not really (maybe there is a setting for that but too lazy to look ), the iDrive is very cool though except for the oil level I still would like to have a dip stick, full doesn't really mean full I just don't trust the computer on that one
      10-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

[QUOTE=135GCL;8094309]
Quote:
Things that are fail

OMG absolutely right!! and thanks for telling me to make my turn in 20 feet and missing the turn and then having to make a uturn, I should be used to it already but not really (maybe there is a setting for that but too lazy to look ), the iDrive is very cool though except for the oil level I still would like to have a dip stick, full doesn't really mean full I just don't trust the computer on that one
Agree with this. The nave is crap, and my car tells me the oil needs topping up every now and then, even on level ground, and then a few minutes later it would tell me it is full. How do I know what to believe.
Appreciate 0