BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Steering problems

Noticed that the steering wheel was not dead centre when driving in a straight line but didn't think too much about it. Gradually the steering feel got worse, felt like it was tramlining at the slightest crease in the road.

Took it for a service a week ago and asked them to look at the tracking, they came back saing the reaction arm on the passenger side was warn badly and it needed to get replaced. Luckily this was covered by the warranty and was in the garage a full day getting it replaced then realigned.

I spoke to the garage here in Colchester and asked how this could happen with only 17k miles. They said due to the shite state of british roads it's more than likely a pot hole or similar caused this.

So anyone else who suspects that their steering feels vague or has similar experiences better get it checked out.

Since the car has been done it feels like it did the day I left the showroom, tight steering and responsive. I must have been driving like this for 3 months or more.....
      04-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

What exactly is a reaction arm? It does not appear anywhere on Realoem. Did they show a part number on the work order?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it's also known as a reaction arm bush..... I will dig out the repair paperwork and post it up here...
      04-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Sounds like what we call "control arms" in the US. The lower control arm and/or bushing is generally a 50,000 mile item on the E46.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, the Brits have a different name for almost everything! :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Yeah, the Brits have a different name for almost everything! :-)
As one of them (GBS) so aptly remarked: "Two peoples separated by a common lamnguage."

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

This doesn't look right to me.... Was sitting in the passenger seat and the steering wheel front face doesn't look flush like the other side. I was wondering if this was a shoddy job at the garage when they did the alignment. Can someone check theirs and let me know if this gap is present too ? Thanks...
Attached Images