BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Love German Cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Euro delivery question

Does BMW - Welt install a European front plate bracket/holder for deliveries? Or do they just screw the plate into the front bumper? I'm real curious about this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

No drilling. Just a stick-on type plate that's easy to detach at drop-off.

Nice to see you're also an R32 owner. Are you keeping it?

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Love German Cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post

Nice to see you're also an R32 owner. Are you keeping it?
Oh nice another R32 owner! Do you like your R? I've had some little issues with her but love it overall. Are you on Vwvortex.com? I go by the same handle on that site.

As for that Euro plate I thought they mounted it with a Euro holder. Thanks for the info.

How do you like your 135i? My R32 lease is up in Jan of 2011 and im flirting with the idea of a 135i (euro delivery). But if Volkswagen brings the Golf R to the states then I might go with that. I'm a sucker for 4-Motion.

This is my R which I've done a lot of mods to.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Sweet; Deep blue pearl. Same color as mine.

Only mods I have are clear side markers, monster mats and VMR V710 rims.

My # is 923 and I've had it since August '08 with 26k miles.

Sorry to hear you've had issues, but other than a couple of recalls mine has experienced problem free motoring.

Since I live in the midwest it's the perfect four seasons vehicle. 4-Motion with all-season tires cuts through the snow with ease.

But it's oh-so-much-more than a snowmobile. Love the sport tuned suspension. Even though it's heavier than the 135, it carves up the road with the same tenacity.

I"m on the Vortex, too, but my handle there is Chaparral_1.

I'm also keeping my eyes out for the new R20 as well. Auto Express (UK based website) just did a road test and gave it very high applause. I'll definitely give it a test drive once it comes out.

I waited around for about a year, researching the 135 before I opted to get it so I understand why you want to do some homework first.

I've had my 135 for 7 months now and it's a fun little car. It's Le Mans blue with Lemon interior. Lightly optioned with just Heated Seats, M-Sport pak and Ipod/USB. Picked it up in Munich on 3 June and did a Performance Center Delivery on 28 July.

I highly recommend doing both ED & PCD. They are both experiences that you will never forget or regret doing.

It's a straight-line banshee, but the suspension and tires need to be upgraded due to understeer and body-roll issues.

The stock exhaust on the 135 is nowhere near as sweet as the R32, but there are plenty of aftermarket tuners including OEM BMW parts that can suit whatever your tastes are.

I haven't had to see the dealer yet, so I have no reliability gripes at all so far.

There are a few other past and current owners of the MKV R32 on the board, as well as a smidgen of the MKIV R as well.

Welcome to the board, and start soaking up some of the knowledge that is to be gleaned from here.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
IndyMike
Captain
Rep

Only have one tolerable pic of the 135 and none of the R32 here at work so forgive the feeble pic whoring attempt please.

Only mods so far are body-colored front grill surrounds with matte black slats, Goodyear F1 Asymmetric's 225F/255R, BMW Performance side skirts and painted rear diffuser in satin black, with debadged rear emblem.

Future mods are limited what with an M1 variant on the horizon, but at the very least M3 28mm front sway bar and possibly BMW Performance Exhaust.

Last edited by IndyMike; 01-02-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
New regulations, you need to leave both license plates on the car when you drop it off. Both plates were on the car when I picked it up at the dealer. Make sure that you tell the dealer that you want to keep the plates so the prep people don't take them off. The front plate was attached by really strong double-sided tape. It was a little difficult to get off without bending it.
      01-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
New regulations, you need to leave both license plates on the car when you drop it off. Both plates were on the car when I picked it up at the dealer. Make sure that you tell the dealer that you want to keep the plates so the prep people don't take them off. The front plate was attached by really strong double-sided tape. It was a little difficult to get off without bending it.
Yea, I also received my 135i with both German tourist plates on it and kept them for the garage.
I also highly recommend European Delivery and taking time to break the car in on the autobahn. Audi's HQ and museum in Ingolstadt is well worth visiting at least once in your lifetime as is VW's Autostadt in Wolfsburg. If you go, give yourself a full day for Autostadt.
      01-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Love German Cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
Yea, I also received my 135i with both German tourist plates on it and kept them for the garage.
I also highly recommend European Delivery and taking time to break the car in on the autobahn. Audi's HQ and museum in Ingolstadt is well worth visiting at least once in your lifetime as is VW's Autostadt in Wolfsburg. If you go, give yourself a full day for Autostadt.
Oh my best friend and I were in Germany and spent lots of time in ngolstadt and Autostadt... What an experience!

I've thought of possibly looking into an A3 as well with Audi's Euro delivery, but I haven't heard many great things from owners

Read this guys ED fiasco and his new S6.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2718578
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
Oh my best friend and I were in Germany and spent lots of time in ngolstadt and Autostadt... What an experience!

I've thought of possibly looking into an A3 as well with Audi's Euro delivery, but I haven't heard many great things from owners

Read this guys ED fiasco and his new S6.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2718578
Yea, definitely an amazing experience. I considered the A3 also but everyone who drove it and then the 135i said there was not comparison. My parents had an older A6 which was very nice but too big for me.
      01-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
I also highly recommend European Delivery and taking time to break the car in on the autobahn. Audi's HQ and museum in Ingolstadt is well worth visiting at least once in your lifetime...
+1 I stopped by Audi as well on my trip in '08 as well. It was well worth the time and as an extra bonus I was able to enjoy the museum for free since they were having some sort of all hands meeting and were down to a skeleton crew.

I also was in Stuttgart on that trip and wanted to go through the new Porsche museum but it was still under construction. Nonetheless, it was still fun to drive through the Porsche center there.