BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Boosted Josh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Raptor, 2016 M4 stripper

Aftermarket audio advice

I need some help from the audio guru's here.

My car has the "enhanced premium sound" but like many of you I've found it lacking.

I have from a previous installation in an old car:

JL 10w7
JL 500/1
JL 450/4
Mb Quart QSD216 component speakers (these were some nice speakers, I don't know how they stack up these days)

In the last car I had the 450/4 pushing the Mb Quart's only using 2 of the 4 channels. It was a small car and I never felt like I needed a rear fill.

And the 500/1 was obviously pushing the 10w7

I'm not particularly interested in doing a complete tear out but would like some options from those more experienced as to what I should do.

I'd like to use what I have to it's best advantage but I'm pretty sure the Mb Quart's are not going to fit anywhere without major surgery since they are 6.5".

I want something that is simple and clean. I've been reading up on the SWS 8's and I like that option because it keeps everything looking factory. On the other hand since I've got this 10w7 sitting in my closet I'd like to get some use out of it. I don't know if the 500/1 would be a suitable amp to push the SWS's.

If I was to just add the 10w7 and the 500/1 to the stock system I'm not sure it would sound good. I don't know if the stock setup can keep up with the w7.

An option that had been suggested to me by the audio shop on my old car and I'm assuming would also apply if I wanted to pull the stock speakers was to use the 450/4's front channel to push the front stage (I don't know what will fit) and then use the rear channel to push a 8w7. I'm not sold on this scenario because that means buying a new sub and a new set of component speakers.

Anyway, bottom line is that I'd like to keep it as clean an simple as possible, use the stuff I have if possible, and of course have it sound good.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Boosted Josh
Private
United_States
Rep

OK so maybe cliff are in order?

Should I:

a) Replace the stock 8's with the SWS 8's and push them with the 500/1 if that amp will work.

b) keep the stock 8's as mid bass and add the 500/1 and the 10w7. Can this be tuned to sound good?

c) dump it all and do components up front and the 10w7
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

You really don't have enough amp channels to power everything you need unless you replace the OEM door speakers with a 4" component set. If you do that, then you can use the "rear" channels of the 450/4 for the SWS-8s, the "front" channels for the 4" components, and the 500/1 for the 10W7.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I'd be careful with messing around with the electronics on this car. My installer has done alot of high end vehicles and IF you have idrive and premium sound then you should think twice about adding a bunch of stuff you propose to the car as you run a great risk of uleashing electronic demons that may cause you more grief and headache down the road with the car. Basically he says that so much is integrated electronically with this new M3 that he almost hates to work on them cause unless you just replace the WHOLE sound system they keep poping up with new problems in one place or another or electronic functions that become difficult to hardwire in an OEM fashion (so he ends up going more the full replacement route when he's done the few e92's and a few Z4's that he's worked on.) He says that its definately MORE complicated than the old e46 m3's!

The setup you propose is gonna need more amps and thus will involve more wiring/pass thrus if you want good clean/digital sound and thus clean and simple may not be as easy as you want/desire. Good luck.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
I'd be careful with messing around with the electronics on this car. My installer has done alot of high end vehicles and IF you have idrive and premium sound then you should think twice about adding a bunch of stuff you propose to the car as you run a great risk of uleashing electronic demons that may cause you more grief and headache down the road with the car. Basically he says that so much is integrated electronically with this new M3 that he almost hates to work on them cause unless you just replace the WHOLE sound system they keep poping up with new problems in one place or another or electronic functions that become difficult to hardwire in an OEM fashion (so he ends up going more the full replacement route when he's done the few e92's and a few Z4's that he's worked on.) He says that its definately MORE complicated than the old e46 m3's!

The setup you propose is gonna need more amps and thus will involve more wiring/pass thrus if you want good clean/digital sound and thus clean and simple may not be as easy as you want/desire. Good luck.
Your installer sounds like he just doesn't want your business or he's setting you up to buy a bunch of equipment you don't really need. It has been documented heavily on this site what is possible for improving on the premium or the base sound systems. Its really not that hard once you really understand what's going on.
      11-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

^^^Bingo.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Boosted Josh
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Its really not that hard once you really understand what's going on.
I don't know of any shops that I can rely on who know what is going on.

I feel like if I don't tell them exactly what they need to do and how to do it that I'll end up with a mess.

I certainly don't want to cause any problems with the car, especially crazy electrical gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Your installer sounds like he just doesn't want your business or he's setting you up to buy a bunch of equipment you don't really need. It has been documented heavily on this site what is possible for improving on the premium or the base sound systems. Its really not that hard once you really understand what's going on.
I am not talkin about a speaker swap out here....that's prettyr straightforward but redoing the whole audio-sound system for better sound. You basically have t take apart the car's current system to do so. I didn't say its impossible but difficult IF you a) want to maintan a clean OEM look B)it does increase the risk of electronic problems down the road especially with other OEM systems. c)it'll be likely waay more than the $1200 premium audio upgrade which IMHO is not great but better than previous iterations seen in the e46 and e36's. Just my 2 cents...its your $$ and car so spend away!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
I am not talkin about a speaker swap out here....that's prettyr straightforward but redoing the whole audio-sound system for better sound. You basically have t take apart the car's current system to do so. I didn't say its impossible but difficult IF you a) want to maintan a clean OEM look B)it does increase the risk of electronic problems down the road especially with other OEM systems. c)it'll be likely waay more than the $1200 premium audio upgrade which IMHO is not great but better than previous iterations seen in the e46 and e36's. Just my 2 cents...its your $$ and car so spend away!
You can replace everything in the system downstream from the HU pretty easily and keep it stock looking. IMO, there is little benfit from replacing the HU with an aftermarket. The signal from the OEM HU is clean, high voltage, and already routed to the trunk where the signal can be easily tapped and run into aftermarket amps. The only risk I see for electrical problems would be if you muffed the tap of the OEM signal. It will likely be more than $1200 for a system to be considerably better. I've already put something together that is less than $2000 which I am in the process of installing. It will be significantly better than the premium sound with much more control over the signal than what is possible with the options provided in the OEM premium sound. You could spend a lot more than that if you choose to take it a little further and start relocating speakers to the kick panels but you don't need to do that unless you're looking for the ultimate in staging.
      11-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not talkin about a speaker swap out here.
Neither are we. We both have some experience with this. Trust me, we won't steer you wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

IMO:

1. 450/4:
- ch 1-2 = a pair of SWS-8 (2- or 4 ohms version, it does not matter as the 450/4 puts out the same 150W RMS from 1.5-4 ohms)
- ch 3-4 = drive the front OEM speakers

The center and rear OEM speakers will be run by the OEM amp.

I would recommend an LC6i to sum the front and underseat woofers OEM amp outputs, low level convert them and then input this signal into the 450/4. That way you could at least tune the front stage a little bit with the 450/4 built in crossovers.

No need to defeat the OEM amp processing if you do not want to do much more involved installation.

2. 500/1:
- custom trunk sub, like this:

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
bigben082376
Rep
Drives: 08 m3 interlagos blue

I am looking for a harness to add an aftermarket amp/amps to my 08 m3 im not sure if i have stock or premium sound package? also is the sub enclosure pictured above available for the opposite (amp) side of the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben082376 View Post
I am looking for a harness to add an aftermarket amp/amps to my 08 m3 im not sure if i have stock or premium sound package? also is the sub enclosure pictured above available for the opposite (amp) side of the trunk?
Is this a Sedan or a Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
bigben082376
Rep

it is the coupe with idrive not sure if its premium sound package or not but I was told it was when purchased.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
it is the coupe with idrive not sure if its premium sound package or not but I was told it was when purchased.
If the speaker cones are yellow and the grills silver then it is the Enhanced Premium Audio.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
bigben082376
Rep

ok so yes i have the premium package with idrive 08 m3 e92 coupe how can i get a harness from you?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
ok so yes i have the premium package with idrive 08 m3 e92 coupe how can i get a harness from you?
I responded to your Visitor's message...
Appreciate 0