BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Looking Ahead: Snow brushes?

Okay, I know it's August, but I'm driving the ultrasoft JB, and I'm wondering what fellow JB'ers use for winter snow-removal? I don't plan on driving it in a snowstorm, but you can't always defend against the occasional snow. And given the ease with which this paint scratches, what kind of brushes are out there that are soft enough and effective enough to clear off snow without scratching the paint?

Edit: Anyone use the SnoBrum? (pros, cons)
      08-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Don't use a brush on the snow covering your roof/hood. The bristles will scratch the hell out of it. Best bet is to just let it be and as the car heats up it'll melt and slide off. Also go through a TOUCHLESS wash once a week or so to rinse salt and road grime off the car.

As for the snow-brum, used those back when I worked for a dealership in Michigan.
They're great for clearing the snow quickly, but I'd still be worried about the foam pulling and dirt/contaminants across the paint.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
Don't use a brush on the snow covering your roof/hood. The bristles will scratch the hell out of it. Best bet is to just let it be and as the car heats up it'll melt and slide off. Also go through a TOUCHLESS wash once a week or so to rinse salt and road grime off the car.

As for the snow-brum, used those back when I worked for a dealership in Michigan.
They're great for clearing the snow quickly, but I'd still be worried about the foam pulling and dirt/contaminants across the paint.
A good (hard to find these days) non touchless wash is probably better, as touchless washes use very acidic solutions to compensate for the touchless method.

A good wash would be a place that has someone with a high pressure hose to wash down vehicles before they enter. Less dirt and contaminates on the brushes in the wash. Also, a good wash will use brushes that are less likely to harm the clear coat.

I take mine through a non touchless wash usually every other day during the winter. I've done this for the last 3 years now and my Jet Black paint looks good as new. Of course there are some swirls, but nothing alarming. Jet Black is very soft to begin with anyways. I'd rather protect the paint against salt than worry about a few swirls that can be corrected with a day of detailing each spring.

As for snow brushes, I avoid them at all cost. I take the car through the wash and thats the end of it. I've seen people take snow shovels to their cars. There are some very uneducated drivers out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

tm30-If you don't plan on driving it through a snowstorm, is there any chance you can just take it off the road for a few months? That is what I am going to do.

Yes, I would avoid brushes of any type, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

If you plan on driving it in the winter it will get scratched. I drove all through the winter (including several snowstorms) I got my car detailed during the spring and it looked just fine after that. The only scratches I have are from the dealer car wash. I hate those guys.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Find the brush with the softest bristles you can, and just lightly sweep it over the car. You don't have to even make contact with the paint to get 90% of the snow off. If you just leave the snow on your hood/roof to blow all over the place as you drive, you will eventually get a ticket for it (at least in CO).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Find the brush with the softest bristles you can, and just lightly sweep it over the car. You don't have to even make contact with the paint to get 90% of the snow off. If you just leave the snow on your hood/roof to blow all over the place as you drive, you will eventually get a ticket for it (at least in CO).
I wish they ticketed people here for that. Absolutely annoying when you're behind a truck with a bed full of snow, having it blind everyone following on the freeway.
Appreciate 0