BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

iDrive not recognizing songs and playlists iPod

Hello anyone else having problems with their iDrive (2008) not recognizing the playlists on a iPod 5th gen? Im missing all my playlists and I used both "Smart" and "Regular" playlists to no avail. Also there are big chunks of my library that dont show up. At first I thought it was the files themselves causing a problem but its not, when I go into the "Directory" of the idrive I can play the songs but the artist and title dont show its still that funky Apple four letter designation.

Any ideas??

Thanks Ive tried everything including renaming songs, filling in albums, and genres.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

I had the same think happen too, but I fixed that by (PITA) manually typing songs, and artists information.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Funny thing is Ive done that to test out that theory, typed out all the info and it still wont recognize the ones tried.. ahh this is frustrating! Someones gotta have an answer to this or faced the same thing...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
Hello anyone else having problems with their iDrive (2008) not recognizing the playlists on a iPod 5th gen? Im missing all my playlists and I used both "Smart" and "Regular" playlists to no avail. Also there are big chunks of my library that dont show up. At first I thought it was the files themselves causing a problem but its not, when I go into the "Directory" of the idrive I can play the songs but the artist and title dont show its still that funky Apple four letter designation.

Any ideas??

Thanks Ive tried everything including renaming songs, filling in albums, and genres.
What kind of cable are you using to connect the iPod? Common problem is people not using the BMW Y-Cable, which would likely cause the problems you are describing.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

wut you talkin bout willis??

no really, what cable?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
wut you talkin bout willis??

no really, what cable?
Search the thread for more details. This is a common issue.

If you have the factory iPod integration (in the armrest), you should have been given a Y-cable when you got the car. Plugs into the iPod on one end, and into both the USB & headphone jacks in the armrest. If you don't have that cable, then the iPod is basically acting like a hard drive - no access to playlists, and the car stereo is doing the audio decoding, which means you could have formats on the iPod that the car doesn't support.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bah... no wonder!!! Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 0