BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
karriman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

how to clean dirt from clear bra corners?

does anybody have any tips for me?
      04-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
islandguy19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
i would like to know as well.
      04-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I would use a pressure washer, as it's the one solution that doesn't touch the car. A GOOD clear bra install won't peel if hit with high pressure water. I live by the idea that the less you rub the car with a microfiber or anything else, the better, and pressure washers accomplish this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
I would use a pressure washer, as it's the one solution that doesn't touch the car. A GOOD clear bra install won't peel if hit with high pressure water. I live by the idea that the less you rub the car with a microfiber or anything else, the better, and pressure washers accomplish this.

how thoroughly are you able to wash with a pressure washer? ive always wondered if with a good pressure washer, foam lance and leaf blower you could completely wash/dry a "lightly soiled" car without ever touching it.... almost like a touchless car wash, although they use powerful detergents...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Pressure washing can't replace a good wash mitt/two bucket method. Pressure washers are used to blast off the majority of dirt on a car, not clean off the dirt that is firmly attached to the car. I said use the pressure washer for the edges of the clear bra because it's hard to get buildup out of those edges with a towel without slightly scratching the bra.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Corners? AS in the line that shows from the clear bra?

Normally i take a microfiber towel, mist it with quick detailer then take my finger nail behind the microfiber and gently go along on the line.
      04-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:
A pressure washer??? A microfiber and some detailer should be all you need to get dirt from around the seem lines out. You can also use a Q-tip with some isopropyl alchohol. There is absolutely no need for a pressure washer...

Now if the film has already lifted and it has dirt under the film, there is nothing you can do about that. A pressure washer will only make that situation worse... causing the film to lift even more and open it up for more dirt to get under it. If it has lifted then you should take it back to your installer and have it replaced.
Appreciate 1
scrammer422.50
      04-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
A pressure washer??? A microfiber and some detailer should be all you need to get dirt from around the seem lines out. You can also use a Q-tip with some isopropyl alchohol. There is absolutely no need for a pressure washer...

Now if the film has already lifted and it has dirt under the film, there is nothing you can do about that. A pressure washer will only make that situation worse... causing the film to lift even more and open it up for more dirt to get under it. If it has lifted then you should take it back to your installer and have it replaced.
Here's a little lesson for you: pulling dirt along the paint with a microfiber, which is what would happen if you follow your prescription, is one of the worst possible things you can do to a car's paint. I don't care if you use a quick detailer, the dirt is still going to get trapped in the microfiber and consequently scratch the paint. I've worked with countless clear bras over the years and have worked with Sam and Wilson @ Premier on numerous occasions, so I'm quite familiar with the material. A clear bra isn't going to peel if you aim a pressure washer at it from a safe distance. If you hold the PW two inches away from the clear bra, then you'll likely run into problems. An ideal cleaning scenario would look like this:

1. Spray along the clear bra's edges with a pressure washer from several feet away.
2. Spray QD along the edges then wipe down with a microfiber. After you use the pressure washer, you'll have minimal dirt that will get trapped in the microfiber.

I have a VentureShield bra on the entire front end of both my M5 and M3, and dirt builds up quite heavily along the seams. The last thing I'd ever do is drag dirt up into the microfiber. While my solution is fairly excessive, I'd wait to wash the car with a PW rather than use a QD + microfiber on a dirty surface.

While many "professionals" say it's OK to clean parts of a dirty car with a quick detailer and microfiber, I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I made the assumption that the car was already washed and he was just trying to get the light dirt/wax build up out of the lines.

04-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
1. Spray along the clear bra's edges with a pressure washer from several feet away.
Sorry, detailing noob.

What PSI would you recommend. I always assumed a pressure washer would strip off any wax, leaving the non-bra'd portions of the car pretty much unprotected. This would be great for me though, since the pollen around here is driving me nuts on the interlagos!