ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

BMW 135i

Hi everyone this is my first post on Zpost. This seems like a great forum.

Anyways, I was just wondering what you all thought of the 135i? The current Z4 has always been my favourite BMW and I was nearly about to buy one last year. The only reason I backed out was because the e85 had reached the end of its life cycle and it would soon become dated and I knew its resale would suffer. Also at that time there was only speculation about the new one arriving and I knew it would take at least another 2 years for it to reach our shores here in Australia – we are always way behind!!

So anyways, I ended up placing an order for the 135i coupe because it seemed like great value and I think it's a great car. I just wanted to know what you all think of the 135i? Every time I see a Z4 on the road I still stop and go wow.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Hi everyone this is my first post on Zpost. This seems like a great forum.

Anyways, I was just wondering what you all thought of the 135i? The current Z4 has always been my favourite BMW and I was nearly about to buy one last year. The only reason I backed out was because the e85 had reached the end of its life cycle and it would soon become dated and I knew its resale would suffer. Also at that time there was only speculation about the new one arriving and I knew it would take at least another 2 years for it to reach our shores here in Australia – we are always way behind!!

So anyways, I ended up placing an order for the 135i coupe because it seemed like great value and I think it's a great car. I just wanted to know what you all think of the 135i? Every time I see a Z4 on the road I still stop and go wow.

i think the 135 is a great car too. If you really like the z4 that much you should just get one.
      01-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The 135i is pretty sweet looking and with that engine it sure does move nice. Still, the styling is not as distinctive as the Z4. And it's not a whole lot lighter or cheaper than the 335i. But if you like it and it's fun to drive, enjoy it! I'd certainly love to have one if I could afford a third car.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I have a Z4M Coupe. I had a 335i. I have driven the 135i although briefly.
As far as driving the Z4M is in another league. The 335i was fun for 6 months or so...you know, racing everyone off the line and what not. Very easy to piggyback..etc. However, driving on winding roads,turns, etc the 335i seemed like I was driving on pillows. Same with the 135i. They are all nice cars, but I find the Z4M much more rewarding to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

The 135 is a much more enjoyable drive when compared to the 335. Its smaller for a kick off, the interior is much more driver centeraled when compared to the 335. The ride is the same as 335 so its quiet comfortable as well. 135 is a good compromise between performance and daily usibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

After owning a 135i for 4 months (then selling it) I can tell you you'll probably blindly love it or hate it like I did. It's dated as well. Sure the coupe version has only been out awhile. But I've been looking at the 1 series on the road for a number of years. Because the car was born to be a small 4 door hatch, it's dimensions even as a coupe are odd. It's too narrow and tall. Not very coupe-like. That compromise is why the car has such narrow front wheels, and barely space for decent aftermarket wheels. Interior materials are a big step below the 3 series too. Just rap your knuckles on top of the instrument cluster. Aside from all that, it needs serious help in cornering. It dives and pitches all over the place. It's also not very compliant over bumps, especially under power. Then there's the engine. Most love it. It gives great grunt off idle until 5000 rpms or so. At that point it loses about 1/3 of it's torque. So revving it is not that fun or rewarding. It's also not that stable at high autobahn speeds. It really walks all over the lane at speeds over 130 mph. The looks of the brakes would also lead you to believe they are of aftermarket Brembo quality and performance. They are not. I was disappointed with it from almost the beginning. Over time my disappointment grew so I dumped it and ordered what I really wanted in the first place...a Z4 M Coupe. Now I'm happy.
      01-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

I don't care much for the 1 Series coupe. The 1 Series hatchback is much more interesting IMO. That said, the 135i is probably an excellent car. All BMWs are excellent vehicles.

You should not buy a car for its resale value. You'll be disappointed practically all the time. The Z4MC is an exceptionnally fun car to drive and you should buy one. Keep the 135i also.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Spartiati
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Roadster

I test drove a 135i vert before I bought my Z4MR in October. Thought it was a nice little car and with $2500 extra for software a really fast car to boot. Ended up going with the Z because at the time the deal was too good to pass up and I couldn't find a 135 with a manual trans. Looks like they are heavily discounting any remaining 08 135's so think it is a good time to strike.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

BMW86, i was in a similar scenario last year. I was considering many cars before i opted for my current ///M Power beast. The 135i was on the list and actually was really serious about it that I had my name on the waiting list. I test drove the 135i a couple times before I drove the M Coupe and was very impressed at its power and handling. I was almost sold.

Then I discovered the world of ///M cars from a friend of mine who has a E92 M3. I ended up buying BMW Car Magazines and was just in awe of the ///M division.

A normal BMW is worlds apart from a ///M car. The M Coupe's power delivery is manic, a build up of excitment completly different to the 135i setup where power is available through out the rev range due to the torque.

The handling is chalk and cheese, the M is more driver orientated.

Put simply, your gran could drive the 135i with ease but she would struggle to drive a ///M car.
      02-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

All BMW's are nice. It's a matter of your preference, one is not necessarly better than the other, just different needs and wants. The Z nuts here thinks ours are the best, the 1 forum will tell you theirs are the best. Blonde, brunette, red head......your choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
All BMW's are nice. It's a matter of your preference, one is not necessarly better than the other, just different needs and wants. The Z nuts here thinks ours are the best, the 1 forum will tell you theirs are the best. Blonde, brunette, red head......your choice.
I couldn't agree more. My next car will definately be the new Z4 though!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
My Z4 has lost 50% value in a year and a half already but I still wouldn't sell it for as much as I bought it for unless I could buy another Z4 Coupe to replace it for less $$$.

It is worth every penny to me every time I drive it!

I would like a second car like that but I would probably get an SUV so I could haul more. I don't need another sporty car until I have a truck/SUV first
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

The ONLY positive I could see in owning a 135i over a Z4 Coupe would be getting more options for aftermarket stuff for it. The Z4 is a little lacking in that field where I think the 135i will have tons of stuff available for it in the coming months... I can't even get a decent carbon fiber hood for my car, let alone other body parts !!! The 2 that are available are for a non-M Z4, and the other one is $5k and has fugly vents on it.

That said, the Z4M Coupe is still the drivers car... hahaha

Congrats on the 135i tho, I saw a really tricked / raced out one on Saturday morning that sounded and looked badass !

You can't get wrapped up in resale on cars, no matter what you get, it'll be worth next to nothing in a few years. My last 2 cars were e-class benz's ( got the first one used, and the second one new ) and I lost my ASS on them. PLUS, they were no where NEAR as fun to drive as my Z4. If you're a true car enthusiast, get it because you love to drive it, not because of resale...

B
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
The ONLY positive I could see in owning a 135i over a Z4 Coupe would be getting more options for aftermarket stuff for it. The Z4 is a little lacking in that field where I think the 135i will have tons of stuff available for it in the coming months... I can't even get a decent carbon fiber hood for my car, let alone other body parts !!! The 2 that are available are for a non-M Z4, and the other one is $5k and has fugly vents on it.

That said, the Z4M Coupe is still the drivers car... hahaha

Congrats on the 135i tho, I saw a really tricked / raced out one on Saturday morning that sounded and looked badass !

You can't get wrapped up in resale on cars, no matter what you get, it'll be worth next to nothing in a few years. My last 2 cars were e-class benz's ( got the first one used, and the second one new ) and I lost my ASS on them. PLUS, they were no where NEAR as fun to drive as my Z4. If you're a true car enthusiast, get it because you love to drive it, not because of resale...

B
I beg to differ! 40K-50K is a quite an investment. Can you imagine putting that into a stock and then saying, "I just cannot be worried about the return on my investment." While I agree that the majority of cars only depreciate, some depreciate faster than others.

In past years, BMWs, in general, have enjoyed good resale value. This past year, this year and next year are outside the norm. Most cars, if not all, are depreciating faster as the globe slides into a deeper recession. Domestic car makers will be slashing prices. Every industry is affected. Just be glad you did not buy a boat last year. The other side of the story is that you get a great car for far less this year than last. The sword cuts from both sides.

Warren Buffet says now is the time to invest in solid stocks for the long haul. Big bargains exist on stocks that will survive and come back strong during the recovery. After you have made your big bucks in stocks in a few years, get that new Z4. In the mean time, enjoy and appreciate one of the best driver's cars ever made.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc View Post
I beg to differ! 40K-50K is a quite an investment. Can you imaine putting that into a stock and then saying, "I just cannot be worried about the return on my investment." While I agree that the majority of cars only depreciate, some depreciate faster than others. The other side of the story is that you get a great car for far less this year than last. The sword cuts from both sides.

In past years, BMWs, in general, have enjoyed good resale value. This past year, this year and next year are outside the norm. Most cars, if not all, are depreciating faster as the globe slides into a deeper recession. Domestic car makers will be slashing prices. Every industry is affected. Just be glad you did not buy a boat last year.

Warren Buffet says now is the time to invest in solid stocks for the long haul. Big bargains exist on stocks that will survive and come back strong during the recovery. After you have made your big bucks in stocks in a few years, get that new Z4. In the mean time, enjoy and appreciate one of the best driver's cars ever made.
That is the WORST comparison I have ever heard.

You don't go to work in the morning and think "hey that stock is depreciating quickly but I LOVE IT!" Stocks are not fun to own unless they are making a lot of money (not just because you own them).

If you are buying a sports car and are an enthusiast then you should buy for enjoyment (reliability, drivability, etc) and not dependent on what keeps resale the best.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
That is the WORST comparison I have ever heard.

You don't go to work in the morning and think "hey that stock is depreciating quickly but I LOVE IT!" Stocks are not fun to own unless they are making a lot of money (not just because you own them).

If you are buying a sports car and are an enthusiast then you should buy for enjoyment (reliability, drivability, etc) and not dependent on what keeps resale the best.
Hahahahaha Yeah, exactly.

My point was Casey, don't buy a car ( in the short term ) based off resale, because you'll be disappointed. Buy a car because you love it...

Stocks on the other hand, I couldn't agree more... Better yet, houses... but that's another forum I'd imagine.

Now go buy a Z and have fun !!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
07Z4M4me
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe

The Z4M Coupe will be like the Acura NSX. They'll have trouble selling them (already happened), and they'll depreciate by 50% in no time, and then hold there for years because they're so rare and are one of the last of their kind. Just my guess....

The Z4M Coupe is everything to someone, where the 135i tries hard to provide something for everyone. Therefore, either you'll "get it" and buy a Z and be happy for a long time, or you won't get it, and you'll buy a 135i and love what it provides.

There are no bad options here. My Z4M Coupe that I've had for a month, with 6,200 miles on it, cost me $39k, and it's fully loaded, navigation and everything. That's very similar to the 135i, and you can see which I chose. Then again, I have a Subaru Outback to drive in bad weather etc., so I can totally understand the additional ability the 135i provides for everyday usability.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

The Z4 will come a classic especially the M while the 135 will just disappear into the long history of bmw.
      02-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i test drove one for my wife...LOVED it!
Appreciate 0